flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Main > Current documentation completeness? (FASM.PDF)

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
rohagymeg



Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 77
rohagymeg
Some months ago I've given up on FASM because of the lack of proper documentation. At that time the pdf was about 20% done. A week ago I re downloaded it and I was very surprised to see it improved amazingly. Is everything documented in this pdf? Do you know about any feature that is missing from it?

Anyways, thanks Tomasz for making this documentation! I know it was a hard work.
Post 09 Jan 2012, 23:21
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
typedef



Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 2913
Location: 0x77760000
typedef
With all respect who are you say that it lacks proper documentation? I became an Assembly programmer because I was motivated by that documentation. As a matter of fact, Tomasz didn't make the PDF so you could learn assembly from it. It's the documentation for FASM.

You think all he does is sit around and then work on the PDF when he feels like it?

Come on man, appreciate the small things that's there and don't look for what's not there.

What more do you want ?
Post 10 Jan 2012, 01:00
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GhostXoPCorp



Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 199
Location: 01F0:0100
GhostXoPCorp
Quote:
Some months ago I've given up on FASM because of the lack of proper documentation. At that time the pdf was about 20% done. A week ago I re downloaded it and I was very surprised to see it improved amazingly. Is everything documented in this pdf? Do you know about any feature that is missing from it?

Anyways, thanks Tomasz for making this documentation! I know it was a hard work.


Who told you it was just 20%? Did you write the compiler to document it and measure what wasn't done?

You need to actually read even the parts that don't seem so interesting. We know there isn't pictures, but professionally its not needed. There is not, and wont be any features missing as it is constantly updated (as far as i have seen, new registers have been added)

If you came here to learn a language, You have come to the wrong place.

If you came to learn how Fasm uses that language, welcome to the flatassembler forum.

_________________
Oh that divide overflow. Just jumps out of the bushes every time to scare the day lights out of me.
Post 10 Jan 2012, 01:55
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rohagymeg



Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 77
rohagymeg
Ok I may be wrong, but for example I wanted to learn macro programming and that time the manual didn't contain its documentation. I don't have a problem with the language itself, only HAD a problem understanding FASM specific features.
EDIT: So yes, I came here to learn how Fasm uses the language! I haven't given up on assembly itself, because I've been reading the intel documentation like a boss.
Post 10 Jan 2012, 05:34
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GhostXoPCorp



Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 199
Location: 01F0:0100
GhostXoPCorp
Quote:
because I've been reading the intel documentation


Then you do not have much to read unless you started reading the manual "like a boss" 5 hours ago.

_________________
Oh that divide overflow. Just jumps out of the bushes every time to scare the day lights out of me.
Post 10 Jan 2012, 13:19
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Enko



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 678
Location: Mar del Plata
Enko
Its safe to say that passed about 3 years that fasm documentation didn't changed. (perhaps small adds for the new futures)
Post 10 Jan 2012, 14:27
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rohagymeg



Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 77
rohagymeg
The basic instructions I know, but still learning extra mnemonics becaue I don't know when I'll need them.

Intel doc. is the best choice for this. It is boring sometimes, but at least it tells everything. I bet most of you know every instruction and never need to look them up. Good for you all.
Post 10 Jan 2012, 20:52
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
typedef



Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 2913
Location: 0x77760000
typedef
rohagymeg wrote:
. I bet most of you know every instruction and never need to look them up. Good for you all.

Yeah because we had to look them up in the first place.


Just kidding though. I don't really know all of them.
Post 10 Jan 2012, 21:09
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rohagymeg



Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 77
rohagymeg
Going back to topic, I clearly remember when I read fasm.pdf it only contained the 16 bit documentation. It was very short and at the end something like this was written: "this documentation is a work in progress." Nothing about 32bit windows! Am I just dreaming this?
Post 10 Jan 2012, 21:23
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GhostXoPCorp



Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 199
Location: 01F0:0100
GhostXoPCorp
Quote:
Am I just dreaming this?



Wake up. Stop responding, read the manual.

_________________
Oh that divide overflow. Just jumps out of the bushes every time to scare the day lights out of me.
Post 10 Jan 2012, 21:49
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Enko



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 678
Location: Mar del Plata
Enko
rohagymeg wrote:
Going back to topic, I clearly remember when I read fasm.pdf it only contained the 16 bit documentation. It was very short and at the end something like this was written: "this documentation is a work in progress." Nothing about 32bit windows! Am I just dreaming this?


This wasn't the fasm documentation, but a small tutorial/manual of assembly with fasm that Tomasz did for 16bit.
Its still there on docs:

Quote:

flat assembler
Programming Tutorial
file size: 141 kilobytes
last update: 26 Apr 2011

Quote:

his is the current stage of the tutorial I am writing for flat assembler. At the moment only the chapter about information encoding and some initial sections of the chapter about DOS programming are finished, but this tutorial is planned to teach the elements of programming for all the operating systems for which you can develop programs with flat assembler. This document is in PDF format.


Again, its not the fasm documentation.
This is the fasm doc: http://flatassembler.net/docs.php?article=manual
Post 10 Jan 2012, 22:07
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rohagymeg



Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 77
rohagymeg
Thanks for clarifying. How much time I missed because of a stupid thing like this! FAIL
Post 10 Jan 2012, 22:24
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GhostXoPCorp



Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 199
Location: 01F0:0100
GhostXoPCorp
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. How much time I missed because of a stupid thing like this! FAIL



Stupid is as stupid does, mom always said.

_________________
Oh that divide overflow. Just jumps out of the bushes every time to scare the day lights out of me.
Post 10 Jan 2012, 22:46
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
shutdownall



Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 518
Location: Munich
shutdownall
I think rohagymeg is not false when complaining missing documentation.
So in that point documentation could be better but this is not a task for Tomasz only, documentation can be written from users here as well and posted.

As this is a open source forum, documentation could be written from everyone and I think Tomasz would be happy if some people here do, who have possibly more time. And I think some users have enough know how to improve documentation.
Rolling Eyes
Post 10 Jan 2012, 23:11
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote
typedef



Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 2913
Location: 0x77760000
typedef
shutdownall wrote:
to improve documentation.
Rolling Eyes


What do you mean by improve?

Is it not good as it is ? I don't get it......

What else do you want to know about it ? Shocked Shocked Shocked

How to compile ?
Post 11 Jan 2012, 01:15
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GhostXoPCorp



Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 199
Location: 01F0:0100
GhostXoPCorp
Quote:
What do you mean by improve?


When that question is ever answered, this thread will make sense.


Quote:
I think rohagymeg is


Thinking eh?

_________________
Oh that divide overflow. Just jumps out of the bushes every time to scare the day lights out of me.
Post 11 Jan 2012, 04:13
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rohagymeg



Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 77
rohagymeg
This thread doesn't make sense. Unless we count the lack of proper amount of example tutorials.
Post 11 Jan 2012, 05:58
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Tyler



Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Posts: 1216
Location: NC, USA
Tyler
Enko wrote:
http://flatassembler.net/docs.php?article=manual
I, for one, found the manual to be a great introduction to asm. I use it for a reference more often than the intel docs.

GhostXoPCorp wrote:
Stupid is as stupid does, mom always said.
Maybe she should have also told you that if you don't have anything nice (or at least useful) to say, then you shouldn't say anything at all.
Post 11 Jan 2012, 07:41
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GhostXoPCorp



Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 199
Location: 01F0:0100
GhostXoPCorp
Quote:
then you shouldn't say anything at all.


Seems like your parents were too nice to you

_________________
Oh that divide overflow. Just jumps out of the bushes every time to scare the day lights out of me.
Post 11 Jan 2012, 22:22
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
shutdownall



Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 518
Location: Munich
shutdownall
typedef wrote:
shutdownall wrote:
to improve documentation.
Rolling Eyes


What do you mean by improve?

Is it not good as it is ? I don't get it......

What else do you want to know about it ? Shocked Shocked Shocked

How to compile ?


Okay lets say better extend as improve. What I mean is internal documentation as this is a open source project and internal structures would make life easier to adapt new functions to FASM like different instruction sets. I spend lot of time to understand tables.inc, preproce.inc, x86_64.inc and how datastructures in the table file has to be interpreted and internally processed. Wink
Post 15 Jan 2012, 01:18
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Copyright © 1999-2020, Tomasz Grysztar. Also on GitHub, YouTube, Twitter.

Website powered by rwasa.