flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > I hate Ubuntu!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
JohnFound

JohnFound
Why, oh why they must change it all the time! Upgrade to death, is it the motto of today? Shocked
Yesterday, I made huge mistake - running upgrade service of my wifes netbook with Ubuntu. It was disaster - this stupid Ubuntu began to look like stupid mobile phone. Huge icons, huge fonts, no any customization possible.
Well, it is maybe possible, but with "sudo bla, bla, bla". The old version at least was more user friendly - there was "right click|properties" menus on every panel. And normal old fashion desktop with task bar. Now my wife have two bold bars on top and on bottom and they stay there all the time. And all this with GNOME. Unity is even worse! The stupid Unity is the worst user interface ever created. The stupid Canonical promote it all the time but it is disgusting! Mad
Post 27 Dec 2011, 08:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
shoorick

shoorick
never forget: "better is enemy of good" Wink
-----------------
once i've downloaded a full DVD of Ubuntu, after installation i've tried to play mp3, and to do it i got a request to connect to internet to got something more Cool unfortunately it was off-line PC in garage... now it works under w2k (~300kB installation) with winamp Razz
Post 27 Dec 2011, 08:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Never upgrade unless you need to.

I think the only positive thing Linux has going for it is the initial price. After that it is all down hill into a world of incompatibility and frustration. In terms of time wasted working with the OS (rather than working with productive programs) the price of it is very very expensive indeed.
Post 27 Dec 2011, 08:43
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JohnFound

JohnFound
There was a reason. The stupid Ubuntu stoped to auto mount USB drives. After checking all settings (they all was OK) I decided that something is broken in the low level and the upgrade will fix it. Sad
At the end auto mount is still not working!!!
Now I am looking for another distribution to install that will be easy to maintain.
I don't want to be a Linux guru at all! I simply need some classic desktop OS for the netbook of my wife!
Post 27 Dec 2011, 08:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
Hehe, go here for a good distribution. Overall you will save money. I am flame proof, so everybody can fire all they want.
Post 27 Dec 2011, 09:04
JohnFound

JohnFound
Revolution, actually I don't like MS as well, especially their newest Windows 7. (My daughter netbook have Win7 and it sucks) And AFAIK I can't buy Win XP anymore.
Post 27 Dec 2011, 09:21
revolution

revolution
XPsp2 is the last good OS by MS. But even the latest offering, Win7, is still better than Linux IMO.
Post 27 Dec 2011, 09:26
JohnFound

JohnFound
Note, actually I hate Ubuntu, not Linux as a whole. And there is a corporation involved - Canonical Ltd. Smile
Post 27 Dec 2011, 09:34
dancho

dancho
here , pick something else to play with Smile

http://distrowatch.com/

I tried latest Mint and working ok so far...

http://linuxmint.com/
Post 27 Dec 2011, 09:48
Overflowz

Overflowz
JohnFound
You can try Debian or Mint, it's awesome Smile (I hate ubuntu too Very Happy using Debian for now.)
http://linuxmint.com/
http://goodbye-microsoft.com/ Cool
It's very stable though.
Post 27 Dec 2011, 11:34
JohnFound

JohnFound
I also installed Linux Mint on my work desktop, It looks great, but it seems to me little bit sluggish. (and what if I set it up to the netbook?)
Post 27 Dec 2011, 11:46
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
JohnFound wrote:
Why, oh why they must change it all the time! Upgrade to death, is it the motto of today? Shocked

It's a well-known thing, at least with some distros. That, and redesigning pretty much everything from scratch every now and then.

JohnFound wrote:
And all this with GNOME.

You can't imagine how many people I see everyday on forums who are switching from GNOME and GNOME-based distros to something else!
Have you ever considered running another Ubuntu-based distro that doesn't use GNOME by default? Or even a completely different distro (Debian, Arch, etc.)? Or a *BSD system?

--8<--

revolution wrote:
Never upgrade unless you need to.

As incredible as that may sound, upgrades usually (yes, not always) come with new features that may be of interest to the user, as well as bug and vulnerability fixes!
Of course fixing bugs and vulnerabilities doesn't really matter for Windows users since it's a very long process that usually takes MS 15 years on average. LOL

revolution wrote:
I think the only positive thing Linux has going for it is the initial price. After that it is all down hill into a world of incompatibility and frustration.

Of course if you only buy Wintel-only-compatible hardware you can't expect anything else. But even then, there are many GNU/Linux distros that provide a shitload of drivers precisely for those special cases so...

revolution wrote:
Hehe, go here for a good distribution. Overall you will save money.

Very "funny". After using FreeBSD for years I can only say I'm happy not using your favorite "distro". The last one of that crap I used on my home machines was Windows 2000.
I'm using Windows 7 at work only because I must. It's mostly crap: slow, filled with bugs (even after getting SP1), needs literally GBs of updates every week, horrible to configure, file sharing doesn't even work, etc.
Post 27 Dec 2011, 11:59
sinsi

sinsi
>needs literally GBs of updates every week
Literally? I update once a month, maybe a few MBs.

I used Ubuntu last year, that literally updated every boot for at least a week, I got sick of it Smile
Post 27 Dec 2011, 12:19
JohnFound

JohnFound
I just downloaded Kubuntu, Vector Linux and Mint LXDE to try.
Post 27 Dec 2011, 12:35
typedef

typedef
Get BackTrack 5. Be a hacker,
Post 27 Dec 2011, 12:58
JohnFound

JohnFound
Quote:
Get BackTrack 5. Be a hacker,

Well, I will propose it to my wife, but not sure she want to be a hacker. Very Happy
Post 27 Dec 2011, 13:02
typedef

typedef
well that's what it is for. it comes with hacking/ security tools and anonymous surfing tools.
Post 27 Dec 2011, 13:03
Coty

Coty
JohnFound wrote:
I just downloaded Kubuntu, Vector Linux and Mint LXDE to try.

Kubuntu is to eye candy for my taste! And I never had an experience on it I can consider "stable", others have had good luck with it though...

Mint LXDE is great! I used it for a long time, eventually went back to Ubuntu after I screwed it up though (I have a tendency to... tweak things Wink )

Using Ubuntu 10.04 with GNOME 2.x, 3+ is shit!

typedef wrote:
well that's what it is for. it comes with hacking/ security tools and anonymous surfing tools.

A real hacker dosn't need pre-built kits Rolling Eyes

Post 27 Dec 2011, 14:23
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
JohnFound wrote:
I hate Ubuntu!

http://kolibrios.org/en/

I think the installer for Ubuntu is very good. I cannot explain, though, some of their other decisions. Debian seems to me to be the best "base" distro, CrunchBang, derived from it, the best implementation.

I have not yet tried FreeBSD, or the PC version, because of a (likely mistaken) belief, that it will prove to be faithful to 1970 era UNIX, rather than using the mouse, to the user's advantage. Further, I suppose, perhaps in error, that installation will demand both user and supervisor names and passwords of n characters in length, and will not easily permit autologon....Those are two killers, for me.

I will not even download SUSE, for example, because it demands a minimum of 6 characters. Nonsense. My computer, my rules, not someone else's, particularly, not someone eagerly trying to demonstrate fidelity to a model devised in an era when a hundred of us, in the mid 1960's, all sought logon simultaneously, to access the same single cpu, with its enormous 256 kilobytes of RAM, occupying a room with dimensions comparable in size to an automobile, but with a price tag in the millions.

Smile
Post 27 Dec 2011, 19:16
JohnFound

JohnFound
I like KolibriOS! There is a great team and it probably will be useful OS some day. But it is still not for everyday use.
Post 27 Dec 2011, 20:31

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: