flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > getting a DSLR camera, any advice for me?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
hi all,
i was thinking to start-up another small simple business, as a "wedding/small event photographer & produce movie DVD for such event"

thinking to get a DSLR camera for such purpose, any advice for me?
Post 20 Dec 2011, 03:54
smiddy

smiddy
Check out www.dpreview.com to get comparisons. This where I've gone in the past.
Post 20 Dec 2011, 04:45
tom tobias

tom tobias
Post 20 Dec 2011, 07:46
Matrix

Matrix
if you want a DSLR with pentaprism, then you should get a Nikon

if you do not want the pentaprism, and mirror, and do not like the clicking, and would like it to be more compact, then you can get a Samsung "Mirrorless DSLR" cheaper
Post 22 Dec 2011, 22:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GordonK

GordonK
I've been taking pictures for about 10 years now with various brands of cameras. I personally shoot with a Pentax K7 and love it. I've recently purchased a Sony NEX 5N mirrorless for my mom for Christmas, and it has better image quality than the K7 (although less features overall).

I've done several weddings, and the most important thing there is probably the lens and lighting equipment rather than the camera. I don't want to try to burst your bubble, but this is not something you can just walk into without years of photography experience... and brides are evil. I've seen threads on the DPreview pro forums about people getting sued because the bride didn't think they looked pretty enough.

The weddings I've shot have been very small, non-church affairs, so I was able to get away with using a 50mm f1.4 PK/M and a 35mm f2.4 PK/AF since longer telephoto wasn't needed for the venues. For lighting, I use one of these: http://reviews.cnet.com/flashes/metz-mecablitz-60-ct/1707-13039_7-31011354.html .

You need to decide whether you're going to do still images, or video, because you can't do both with one person and one camera. Honestly you can't do video without at least two people and two cameras and hope for it to look any good.

I'm not going to write any more, but I'd suggest reading some of the topics on this in various places online before making a camera decision. After reading horror stories I decided to only do weddings for good friends and family.

Good luck!
Post 25 Dec 2011, 11:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Enko

Enko
My brothers girfriend work as weding photografer. She do only photo shooting.
The camera she uses is a Nikon, I think de d3100 model, but she changed it to other (more newer nikon also).

She does have some filters/lens, but somthing about 3-4. They cost to much. She use photoshop light filters to achive similar efect.

as Gordonk sad, you can't take weddings photo to light becouse you can in efect do a crappy job an somehow ruin the foto memory of that day.
There are some kind of quick courses of photography like 6 months or so.
Post 26 Dec 2011, 03:53
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
been years,
and here the latest gadget i feel i want to have.

Nikon coolpix P900 83x optical zoom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfshAzV0FN4

imagine you could optical zoom the moon whole day!!!
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/COOLPIX-P900.html
Post 29 Jun 2015, 18:12
TmX

TmX
So have you found the DSLR you're looking for?
If not, try Canon 70D + Sigma 18-35 ART.

Pretty nice for taking pictures as well as recording videos.
If you have extra cash to spend, try the L-series (red ring) lens Very Happy
Post 02 Jul 2015, 15:47

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: