flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > we found another earthlike planet, Kepler-22b

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/news/kepscicon-briefing.html wrote:

NASA's Kepler mission has confirmed its first planet in the "habitable zone," the region where liquid water could exist on a planet’s surface. Kepler also has discovered more than 1,000 new planet candidates, nearly doubling its previously known count. Ten of these candidates are near-Earth-size and orbit in the habitable zone of their host star. Candidates require follow-up observations to verify they are actual planets.

The newly confirmed planet, Kepler-22b, is the smallest yet found to orbit in the middle of the habitable zone of a star similar to our sun. The planet is about 2.4 times the radius of Earth. Scientists don't yet know if Kepler-22b has a predominantly rocky, gaseous or liquid composition, but its discovery is a step closer to finding Earth-like planets.

I couldn't find the words to describe how happy I am.
Post 06 Dec 2011, 13:29
Matrix

Matrix
sleepsleep wrote:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/news/kepscicon-briefing.html wrote:

NASA's Kepler mission has confirmed its first planet in the "habitable zone," the region where liquid water could exist on a planet’s surface. Kepler also has discovered more than 1,000 new planet candidates, nearly doubling its previously known count. Ten of these candidates are near-Earth-size and orbit in the habitable zone of their host star. Candidates require follow-up observations to verify they are actual planets.

The newly confirmed planet, Kepler-22b, is the smallest yet found to orbit in the middle of the habitable zone of a star similar to our sun. The planet is about 2.4 times the radius of Earth. Scientists don't yet know if Kepler-22b has a predominantly rocky, gaseous or liquid composition, but its discovery is a step closer to finding Earth-like planets.

I couldn't find the words to describe how happy I am.

Thinking about moving? ^^
Post 06 Dec 2011, 14:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
smiddy

smiddy
Pretty kewl stuff! Smile
Post 06 Dec 2011, 14:31
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

Thinking about moving? ^^

600 light years ... where is my stargate,,, damn it...
Post 06 Dec 2011, 14:47
JohnFound

JohnFound
We definitely will not reach it using green energy sources. Very Happy
Post 06 Dec 2011, 15:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
it is very possible to live without planet.

just look at the city (and prison) life, some people can live one entire life enclosed in buildings or big city. many people try to maintain a certain link to nature, but mainly, it is subject to disapear, and even plants, animals, will be able to live outside planets. in anything that have enough nutriments and ressources to the body. a plant can grow just under a lamp, with just some water and "vitamins", that can be extracted from any planet in fact.

every planet (living or not) can bring us material in order to survive, and live.

just, we need this "green energy" in order to make work our spacecars during our human dispersion phase.
some spacecars will find good ressources, and start to build new society (like USA) and start to disintegrate everything that is not human.
some others will maybe live in peace, but will be soon aborded by USA like civilisations, and so on, until all the universe fits the ugly vision of georges lucas AKA starwars. Smile
Post 06 Dec 2011, 20:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JohnFound

JohnFound
edfed, the universe is a very big place. Unfortunately, the human brain simply can't accept such big scales. Well, at least for now. Smile
Post 07 Dec 2011, 07:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
I really hope they find any kind of life (doesn't need to be intelligent) in other planets during my lifetime.

I think this is one of the biggest researchs ever. Not only we can know we're not alone in the universe, but also it debunks all kinds of religious views.

People will HAVE to give up the arrogancy of attributing the purpose of God of creating humans and see a much bigger perspective where we're all together in this planet and there's much more outside, so we should unite because we're one of the same, and not because we're made of God-image or some other egocentric theory.

Smile
Post 07 Dec 2011, 17:04

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: