flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Is there any out-of-the-box Linux distribution?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
What I really want is something like Mac OS X, very well integrated and out of the box, but with Linux kernel. A distribution I can throw on the machine and it keeps running for years with very few tweaks.

Ubuntu was close but I didn't like Unity.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Post 29 Nov 2011, 17:39
f0dder

f0dder
Kubuntu or Xubuntu versions, perhaps? Or take a look at Mint, seems pretty well-polished.
Post 29 Nov 2011, 17:55
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Matrix

Matrix
just spend $2000+ and obtain a redhat AS enterprise edition system

or, make a Linux From Scratch for yourself, and you know what you installed and why.
Post 29 Nov 2011, 20:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
emc

emc
Linux Mint 12 is released, it provides a sophisticated design like OS X and it's "out of the box".
Post 30 Nov 2011, 18:56
malpolud

malpolud
OzzY wrote:

Ubuntu was close but I didn't like Unity.

Any recommendations?

You can get rid of Unity easily and install regular Gnome instead. In version 11,04 you can just tell the system to boot in classic outfit but in 11.10 you have to download sth.

Honestly I think it's pointless to use Xubuntu. Xfce looks awfully, Gnome is much more configurable and the most important: Xfce isn't that light-weight at all.

Cheers
Post 03 Dec 2011, 23:53
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
malpolud wrote:
Honestly I think it's pointless to use Xubuntu. Xfce looks awfully, Gnome is much more configurable and the most important: Xfce isn't that light-weight at all.

Well, Xfce and LXDE (which is partially based on Xfce) are pretty much the only "out-of-the-box" choices you have if you don't want to use GNOME or KDE. And Xfce is still much lighter than those two, both in terms of required disk space and memory footprint. If you check their forum you'll see many "GNOME refugees". I've seen quite a few even claiming they can configure it better than GNOME.

But I think the best way to have what you want is to build your own desktop environment yourself from scratch using a bare-bones GNU/Linux distribution or *BSD system with your choice of applications (including the window manager). That's what I've been doing for years and I never looked back.
Post 04 Dec 2011, 10:08
OzzY

OzzY
I'm right now on Xubuntu and yes, XFCE is very configurable.

I customized it to look like Gnome 2 which I found the ideal setup. At the left top the menu "Applications | Places" and at the right top the clock, at the bottom another panel and the windows buttons.

XFCE is so configurable that you can make it look like Windows easily. Put a panel at the bottom, put an applications button and set the text to "Start" and a clock at the right. Change the theme to redmond. Install wine, install MS Office. And give it too your family, they won't notice it. lol

XFCE is light, but if you use too much Gnome or KDE apps it will load those libs also, making it heavy.
I'm not worried about lightness though. XFCE + a few Gnome apps is still better than Unity in my opinion.

Looks like Unity was designed to be one single interface for Desktops, Tablets, Notebooks, Netbooks.
The problem is that the workflow for Desktops has become worse. It may suit tablets though.

But as for out-of-the-box I really meant to something you install and be done. I'm trying a few distros. So far there are a few options like: Linux Mint, OpenSUSE, Mandriva (also the new Mageia, which is Mandriva from the community).

Mint seems to be really good. Very polished, ubuntu or debian repos and comes with all the plugins and codecs.
Post 04 Dec 2011, 11:33
OzzY

OzzY
While searching for an out-of-the-box experience I also found some interesting OSes:

PC-BSD (FreeBSD with KDE4 for Desktops):
http://www.pcbsd.org/

GhostBSD (FreeBSD with Gnome2 for Desktops):
http://ghostbsd.org/

Pear OS (Ubuntu-based Linux distro with Mac OS X-like interface):
http://www.pear-os-linux.fr/

Instead of apple, it's a pear. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post 04 Dec 2011, 17:50

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: