flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > A challenge: $100 to write some GPU code for mining BitCoins

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Graphic Editor

Graphic Editor
Hi to all !

I am new here.

Wonder if I can do the following:

I will put up a $100 reward - already in my PayPal account, btw - for anyone who will produce the best utility (for Linux and/or Windows and/or whatever OS) to mine bitcoins using GPUs.

All resulting code will be open-sourced

Since I am new here and haven't had the chance to establish my credibility, I am ready to transfer the $100 reward via PayPal to Thomas (or anyone who are trustworthy in this site) for safekeeping.

As for the "best utility" mentioned above - I have not yet made up what "best" really means. It may mean "fastest", or "least bug" or "tightest code" or whatever, but I trust you guys will contribute your idea into deciding what "best" should really be.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask here, or email me at "graphic dot editorial at googlemail dot com"

Thank you !
Post 04 Nov 2011, 03:01
Graphic Editor

Graphic Editor
Oops, sorry. I forgot to mention .......

Since this is the FASM board, the utility should be written using FASM

Hope you guys don't mind

Smile

And one-more-thing - a clarification:

This gonna be open-source all-the-way, and the purpose of this challenge is to offer the world to an easier/faster way to enjoy an alternative to the Euro / USD which are failing
Post 04 Nov 2011, 09:34
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Graphic Editor: Since there is money involved then I suggest that you more clearly state how and who will judge the winner. People will need to know what criteria are being used before they decide to enter and start planning how to write the code.

Also, a link to the BitCoin generation specs would be helpful to save everyone else here having to google for the precise document.
Post 04 Nov 2011, 11:21
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Graphic Editor, YONG needs money, you can paypal him first, Smile
Post 04 Nov 2011, 11:35
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
YONG needs money
Yes, I do. But I have no idea of what this challenge is about! Besides, I seldom do coding these days. Wink
Post 04 Nov 2011, 13:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
zir_blazer

zir_blazer
Interesing, but I don't see this offer viable:

First, I doubt that many here knows what BitCoins are, you should brief them. While I understand about this matter because I am a miner myself, I doubt this applies to many others. Usually, I see here many people thinking about backward compatibility with ridiculous old devices or people that still tinkers with them, that makes me think that there is a lack of x86 Assembler programmers with a likehood for modern Hardware or that got the budget to be at the vanguard of the latest and greatest. Doubt that many here got Hardware to mine BitCoins.
As being a miner myself, I have a pair of Radeons 5770 that are far from paying themselves, as I purchased them as an investment for mining when BitCoins were worth 15 U$D per BTC 3 months ago and the price just followed a downward trend, currently sitting at 3 U$D and the current worth of my mined BTC barely covers 1/3 of what the Video Cards cost me. Add in electricity cost (That while here it is ridiculous cheap is part of the running cost) and the current picture isn't very good.

Second, while being a fan of Assembler due to it being able to produced the most optimized, fastest, and smaller, pieces of code, you must remember that we're talking about a GPU here, not a x86 CPU. GPU are a totally different beast, this is not something that could be done in x86 Assembler, that is what people here knows to do.
nVidia and ATI/AMD GPUs Instruction Set seems to be totally propietary and ISA documentation confidential. While on a x86 CPU you know how to interact directly with it because the ISA documents are readily available, you don't have such a luxury with GPUs, that could potentially even change completely their ISA from one generation to other. That means that even if you somehow manage to reverse engineer the Drivers and learn how to access and operate with a GPU directly, this doesn't means that it will work in all them, but just a generation. Basically, your only real option is have to deal with the GPU using CUDA or OpenCL though the Drivers because you can't access the GPU directly in any easy way.
The most you could get by with x86 Assembler is either a CPU miner (That could possibily increase performance compared to current CPU miners... That I doubt any serious miner uses), or the code that calls and interacts with the GPU Drivers, but I don't know how much of an increase in performance or decrease in overhead you could archieve by it.

I would love to get a few extra MHash/s from my Radeons 5770, but I doubt this is achievable.
Post 05 Nov 2011, 22:56
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
zir_blazer: This topic is in the Heap and thus does not mean the code has to be in x86. There are already some topics here from posters that use the GPU (with CUDA and OpenCL) so it is possible that someone here may be interested to participate.
Post 06 Nov 2011, 00:01
typedef

typedef
my post?.... Shocked
Post 06 Nov 2011, 06:47

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: