flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > mix magnet powder into water

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
like title,
what would happen when you mix magnet powder into water,
then you moving the water through plastic pipe in the compression springs form where we put a magnet bar in the middle?

would it generates electricity?

Description:
Filesize: 6.45 KB
Viewed: 1973 Time(s)

magnetwaterruns.PNG

Post 20 Sep 2011, 15:08
Enko

Enko
my guess is that the magnet powder will form somthing like a mash/pulp that wouldn't flow throught the pipe.
Post 20 Sep 2011, 17:17
Xorpd!

Xorpd!
Magnet powder (NdFeB) oxidizes in water, so it's usually mixed with oil. Lots of sources will sell you ferrofluid, also lots of examples on youtube, e.g.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5Zzm2TXh4.
Post 20 Sep 2011, 19:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

my guess is that the magnet powder will form somthing like a mash/pulp that wouldn't flow throught the pipe.

ok.. Smile

Quote:

Magnet powder (NdFeB) oxidizes in water, so it's usually mixed with oil. Lots of sources will sell you ferrofluid,

do you how could we set the density of magnetism in those fluid?
Post 21 Sep 2011, 00:19
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
would it generates electricity?
Perhaps it might. But I expect you would need to move the magnet back and forth. One thing is for certain, you would need to input energy into the system in order to later remove that energy (possibly in a different form).
Post 29 Sep 2011, 15:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
revolution wrote:

But I expect you would need to move the magnet back and forth.

thanks for the reply,

i was thinking since a battery plus a nail wrapped with wire could generate electromagnet,

a moving magnet or a moving iron wire coil surround the magnet would generate electricity.

so, maybe i should mix iron with oil or water ? what you think?

i was thinking of using the gravity pulling energy to move the mixtures.

how is it the effect of magnet travels above water / liquid that mix with iron? might be really cool to watch.

Xorpd! wrote:

Magnet powder (NdFeB) oxidizes in water, so it's usually mixed with oil.

thanks, i was googling liquid iron, it seems it is Ferrofluids.

Ferrofluids are composed of nanoscale particles (diameter usually 10 nanometers or less) of magnetite, hematite or some other compound containing iron.
Post 29 Sep 2011, 16:08
typedef

typedef
@sleepsleep
don't tell me you want to smoke a magnet powder bong....and no it wont generate any electricity in your head...not even a spark !
Post 29 Sep 2011, 17:37
Xorpd!

Xorpd!
[quote="sleepsleepFerrofluids are composed of nanoscale particles (diameter usually 10 nanometers or less) of magnetite, hematite or some other compound containing iron.[/quote]
Actually the magnetite/hematite suspensions are called superparamagnets, it's the NdFeB ones that are ferrofluids. To see the difference between paramagnets and ferromagnets, try playing with a peice of Gd metal when warm and fresh out of the freezer. The difference in attraction to a magnet is easily appreciable. But you can try some things with paramagnets that just don't have a chance of working with ferromagnets.
Post 30 Sep 2011, 23:11

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: