flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > DuckDuckGo

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
Do you know it? Recently I gave a try this new community-developed search engine, and I found it very handy for my programming-related searches (well, other ones too). The bang syntax for specific searches is a nice thing - e.g. I just type "!javadoc String" to go directly to the documentation of the class (it is a bit like using "man" from the Unix command line, gives me the same feeling).

But they do not yet have anything related to assembly language (well, I'm not very surprised). Not that I personally need that Wink - but maybe we could help make such addition? Just a thought.
Post 18 Sep 2011, 11:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

YONG
I tried searching

"flatassembler.net, revolution's true identity"

and the engine returned

"No results".

It does not look good! Sad Wink
Post 18 Sep 2011, 12:08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
YONG wrote:
I tried searching

"flatassembler.net, revolution's true identity"

and the engine returned

"No results".
You're looking in the wrong place. Did you try the back of the couch, I sometime lose stuff there.
Post 18 Sep 2011, 12:36
Madis731

Madis731
What's wrong with Wolfram? SiO10 search https://duckduckgo.com/?q=SiO10 says its using Wolfram|Alpha as its source engine.

Maybe its just another search engine, but maybe it will grow to be something better. Google already has "calculations & conversion" category covered. Wolfram has all that mathematics, physics, chemistry category covered. So if in the future DuckDuckGo will be the sum of the two or more, I see no problem using it. Right now I don't see myself using it.
Post 18 Sep 2011, 14:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
Wolfram is a very specialized-purpose engine, and here we have some generalized search startup, that can act as a bridge to Wolfram and more - the point is that you have many specialized places that can provide knowledge of best quality in their narrow areas, so we don't need a general search engine to be better than any of them, it's just enough that it knows about all of them and can "forward" your query to the right one. That's why I find the "bang" syntax so useful - I know that what I'm searching for should be in the java docs, but I can use the same general search box just to go directly there.
Post 18 Sep 2011, 18:54
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Lately Google is making me hate it more and more. I can't use my browser controls which work on every other page, because it handles keyboard himself. It no longer seems to use collaction of basic roman characters to special european alphabet characters (eg. "a" with "á", "ǎ", etc.). Results are now truly shitty. I have to take care of their tracking cookie. They demand me to preserve it in order to "customize" away their "features". There is no simple way to manually get URL of search result, if it gets shortened. etc. etc.

Anyone is going through his e-life with something else than google? (I mean manual searching, not automatic)
Post 18 Sep 2011, 21:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
vid: disable JS and then google can't hijack your browser controls and keyboard actions.

I find no trouble getting URLs of google search results, they are right there in the listing. Perhaps it is that JS thing again that is changing your "experience"?
Post 18 Sep 2011, 23:58
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
internet is totally out of control, we need new NET.

duckduckgo, don't think they could hold long....
Post 19 Sep 2011, 03:50
addes3

addes3
I love DuckDuckGo. No tracking.
Post 20 Sep 2011, 23:16
typedef

typedef
addes3 wrote:

How certain are you? Should we ask revolution to verify ?
Post 21 Sep 2011, 04:52
revolution

revolution
typedef wrote:
addes3 wrote:

How certain are you? Should we ask revolution to verify ?
It would not be possible to know for sure. There are lots of ways that you could be tracked even without cookies or JS. Read their onsite policies and see what they claim they do. If you can believe what they say then go with that.
Post 29 Sep 2011, 15:19

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: