flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > install win98 on a modern PC.

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
edfed

edfed
i am really fed up of linux, it is something like a pure brainfucking os.

i stronglly believe linux have nothing to offer to humanity, only offer some proudness to users that understand it's very twisted logic. but as i don't understand in what linux is a benefit, i don't want it anymore.

i believed that linux is stable, none the less, it is more instable than win98. it closes applications without any warning when it reaches the maximal ram useage. i lost a lot of time trying to compute things on very large images because instead of stopping the current process, it completelly close the gimp app. it is the same for every application, close without warning or possibility to recover the datas.

then, i want to install win98 on this netbook, just in order to have an os that i know very well and for what i have a lot of tricks to avoid the bugs and crashes. what is not the case for linux or xp.

is it possible to emulate a Cdrom with usb pen? in that case, i will do a cdrom image of win98 setup on a usb pen, and start the install.
for that, i should first format the hdd in fat 32, but linux is so dumb that it cannot be used for this purpose, because it will format in a sort of modified fat32 that isn't fully compatible with the genuine M$ fat32.

i am really bored of the journaling fs in linux that waste a lot of cpu time each time i manipulate any file. i am really bored of many things about linux. and it is very long to start. at least 1 minute to start the machine.

and the update system that is very bloated, with a lot of megabyte updates about anything, i don't see why i should update something that works, in order to have something that works less.

and the gui is horribly bugged and bad thinked.

then, as i don't have any good alternative to the so loved win98, i will continue to use it.

fed up of the mediocrity that seems to be the main tool and philosophy of main stream OSes.
Post 02 Aug 2011, 14:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Enko

Enko
Quote:

is it possible to emulate a Cdrom with usb pen?

I had to install winxp on a netbook, it was a huge pain in the ass.

first I put winxp installer files on the pendrive, then make it bootable. executed the winnt installer.... 8 hours it was unpacking files, then I realized that the windows was being installed from the pendrive to the pendrive. And it crashed.

The second atempt:
PEBUILDER, I made a bootable cd of winxp with the installer files, then passed it to the pendrive specially made bootable with some tool.

Loaded live xp, executed the installer passing some cmd parameter so it first copy al files to HD, and then reboot and start installing with half process done.

Yes it worked that way.
(it should be posible to make a bootable xp with win98 installer files, execute the installer from the live xp so it copy files on disk first then reboot and continue installing 98)

But really, ask a friend or someone if they have a USB CD DRIVE. There are some generic chines usb drives very cheap $15 usd, the cd need to be in perfect shape, otherwise they don't read it.

And one other thing, WIN98 recognize SATA HD?

And, you can use nlite to make a personalized WINXP installer much more light then the standard, you can remove services, tools, etc... You could make a 200-300 MB xp installer.
Post 02 Aug 2011, 15:11
edfed

edfed
i don't have a sata hd in this computer (ssd with ide), i don't have any sata drive anywhere also. then, this is not a problem at all.

i tested to install win98 in virtual box under ubuntu, and it can't work, virtual box is so dumb that it can't read the any cdrom image ones win98 is loaded, then, it cannot complete the installation because it don't see the virtual cdrom drive
Post 02 Aug 2011, 15:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Enko

Enko
You best option should get the usb cd drive.

The other, is to make a bootable live xp, put there win98 install files and see if you can execute the installer passing a parameter so it first copy all files to HD then reboot.

I asked about sata, becouse if I'm not mistaken, win98 dont recognize sata. WinXp sp0 I think either.
Post 02 Aug 2011, 15:38
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i wish i could install win95 on my dell netbook, 2gb, wow, must be really fast.
Post 02 Aug 2011, 17:29
Enko

Enko
really? xp is the most used windows ever, Microsoft tried to kill him with Vista and failed. They trying now with Win7 and yet, still failing.
Its a 10 year old os still in market, It should be oficially renamed to
Windows Survivor
Post 02 Aug 2011, 19:43
edfed

edfed
or just nt5

because it is the win nt family.

but i am stil here, and convinced it is better to use the win9x technology(r)

why? because one upon a time, microsoft made a big commercial operation about win9x, claiming that it is the best os ever made, then, as i am very naive, i believe them, and prefer win9x, version 98, from the saturday 14 march 1998 instead of any win(tm) nt(r) technology(c). something like that.

i'd like to have something like a bootable usb pen with 98 on it. yeah, that can rocks a lot.
i still have two compact flash with 98 on, it works very well, but it is better with a hard drive for the swap file.
Post 02 Aug 2011, 20:23
JohnFound

JohnFound
The main problem with netbooks (and most of the modern computers) is that there is no video drivers for Win98. Generic VESA driver will work, but it does not support accelerations and does not supports wide screens (1024x600 for example).
That was the only reason why I installed WinXP on my eeepc.
Of course nLite-ed version - you don't need most of the "features" of WinXP.
Post 03 Aug 2011, 06:09
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro
There are some USB pen drives that can emulate CD-ROM drives.
Using manufacturer software you can define pen drive as one whole drive or as one drive and one CD-ROM or only as one CD-ROM, and then put any .iso file (only with that software,not by copy)

But I remember days when using win98 and to not use a cd on the second partition ( D: ) under x folder I keep files copied from cd, bootable msdos on first partition (C: )
After booting to msdos change drive to D:\ then change directory to x and start install.
And was working fine.
Post 03 Aug 2011, 09:54
DJ Mauretto

DJ Mauretto
Hello,
Put Xp in your notebook, is the best choice...
Xp is more stable that win98...
NTVDM is a good DOS emulator...
If you want play with I/O, it's easy in 32bit mode without a driver,
you can through NTVDM DOS 16bit mode call DLL at 32bit, VGA and VESA
are well supported...
You can install it easily.
Wink

Post 03 Aug 2011, 10:33
edfed

edfed
and it have better usb and flash support.
it is supported by all softwares because is the main stream... but is really really a bad evolution of win9x.

xp is really more vulnerable on the internet.
maybe a dual boot xp/98
Post 03 Aug 2011, 13:00

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: