flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > How Do Hackers Do It?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
cypher

cypher
After watching the movie "Hackers" (which I'm sure all of you have seen), I always wanted to know how did they get so good at it? And yes, I know it's just a movie but hackers are real! Now, people like Kevin Mitnick (watch this documentary about him: Freedom Downtime), Jonathan James (aka c0mrade), and the person(s) that hacked into the PlayStation Network. Now, those are all black hats. Now people like Linus Torvalds, Tsutomu Shimomura, Bill Gates, Stephen Wozniak and not to forget our hero, Tomasz Grysztar are the white hats.

Now, my question is, "How did they learn all of this stuff?"

I've always wanted to know how to hack, but I don't have any knowledge; or even worse, experience. I know there are people who can hack into "places". Now, where or how can I get this info about hacking?

Last edited by cypher on 28 Apr 2011, 14:20; edited 1 time in total
Post 28 Apr 2011, 02:31
typedef

typedef
The answer is always practice.

If you want to be a programmer you must know how the code works.

If you want to know how the code works you disassemble/reverse engineer the code. (some applications make hidden connections to servers and after you have successfully disassembled the app you can find all the info, could be encrypted though. That is where you need encryption knowledge)

----
If you want to be an internet hacker, learn about IP addresses, sockets, packets, types, traffic, encryption etc.

If you want to know how to hack websites, you must know how to make one.

Learn languages like PHP, JavaScript, perl,python, and most of all SQL.

JavaScript is used for C/XSS
after XSS you can inject SQL or upload php scripts. Crippling your target site and then getting Admin access, then getting user info etc.. Then you can upload your evil files to the server since you have access to it. etc

Learn Internet attacks using DOS (Denial of Service) and DDOS (Distributed Denial of Service [Works 100% and it's terrifying]).

Use google to search for open VNC Desktop ports and connect to them(Yes, there are plenty of open computers you can hack into using .
google)

You can also hack security cameras and printers using google..

My advice: Just be careful !

I am not teaching hacking here by the way
Post 28 Apr 2011, 04:59
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Often the perspective presented is a compartmentalized linear segment of information. Mostly, this is just the easiest way to communicate - creating understanding instead of ambiguity. These linear segments evolve into a protocol between consumer and producer. Example: you ask a question, someone answers.

If you want to be a hacker then try to understand the layers which exist, and how to navigate them - whether it be in social systems or information systems. typedef gives some examples, but the hacker way is not just about information systems, imho.

Some hackers are scared by not knowing and it drives their learning (or/and malignant activities) - when life feels out of control and the uncertainty is unbearable. Others are driven by profit - legal or otherwise. Personally, I'd like to believe they all become artistic hackers - eventually.
Post 28 Apr 2011, 10:13
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
roboman

roboman
You lock your self in a room and learn every thing you can about computers and networks. With every thing you learn you write a few programs to find out if you really do know what you think you do. After years of doing this the FBI / Interpol will knock on your door Smile
Post 28 Apr 2011, 14:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
there is more than practice, the spirit too is a variable of the equation.

there are people who understands binary, and other who don't.
there are people who understand advanced network hacking, and people who hardly understand local file manipulation.

it is like sports, or any domain, some people are good, and even if you train and practice a lot, you cannot be as good as them in their specialities.

and everybody have at least one speciality where he is (will be) good at it.
sometimes, people don't know what they are good in, and then, never enjoy the passion. it is very sad.
Post 28 Apr 2011, 14:44
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

and everybody have at least one speciality where he is (will be) good at it.

yeah, to become an idiot, that require specialty and talent too!!
XD
Post 28 Apr 2011, 14:53
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
yeah, to become an idiot, that require specialty and talent too!!
The village idiot is a well respected and important occupation. Providing a vital social function within each community.
Post 28 Apr 2011, 14:58
cypher

cypher
revolution wrote:
The village idiot is a well respected and important occupation. Providing a vital social function within each community.
The village idiot's job is to let everyone else feel smart... even the hobos.

Resources, resources; those are the things needed. Knowing the internet, and how it's being scrutinized by the FBI, then we can't have any hacking knowledge online for people. We can't even share it over the phone because they are listening... they are everywhere...even in your closet.

typedef, hacking using Google? I must try that some day. Plus, hacking a website is a goal--not that I'm not implying that I will do it. DoS seems fun!

bitRAKE wrote:
Some hackers are scared by not knowing and it drives their learning (or/and malignant activities) - when life feels out of control and the uncertainty is unbearable. Others are driven by profit - legal or otherwise. Personally, I'd like to believe they all become artistic hackers - eventually.

It's what really propels us. We don't know so we explore...

edfed, your right. Some people aren't good in every field. But it's good to have a little knowledge of all things.
Post 28 Apr 2011, 16:09
Dex4u

Dex4u
Please do not put 'Kevin Mitnick' and 'Tomasz Grysztar' in the same list.

Tomasz Grysztar is a true code hacker and Kevin Mitnick is a social engineer, theres a big difference.
Post 28 Apr 2011, 18:38
typedef

typedef
ok, for all of you website hacker wanna bes , i'll make a site and let you hack it....i'll show you how,
i'll also find a real website and hack it for you just to demonstrate...
stay tuned....
Post 28 Apr 2011, 18:50
Overflowz

Overflowz
typedef
here you go, http://testphp.vulnweb.com/index.php this page has all bugs (and it's test page of course.)
cypher
Everyone got luck when finding some bugs in apps. Sometimes how and sometimes how.. For example, I found buffer overflow in skype and of course nobody knows about that. Anyway to become real hacker, you need to learn much coding instead of learning how to use tools.. Smile
Post 28 Apr 2011, 19:03
cypher

cypher
Dex4u wrote:
Tomasz Grysztar is a true code hacker and Kevin Mitnick is a social engineer, theres a big difference.
Sorry about that. I placed Tomasz under white hats... Tomasz is a code hacker and not a computer security penetrator. Sorry Tomasz (for labeling)

typedef, Im staying tuned

Overflowz wrote:
or example, I found buffer overflow in skype and of course nobody knows about that.
Is that where you got your name from?

Being a script kiddie won't give you much knowledge. You only just know how to use tools. Keep coding--that's one reason why I keep learning asm (although it's hard).

Post 28 Apr 2011, 20:28
Overflowz

Overflowz
cypher
Who said that I'm script kiddie ? I'm learning instead of using "tools" mate Wink Overflowz because it's my favourite bug in programs so I'm trying always to find in some apps bugs kind of like this. Don't judge me like that I'm script kiddie Smile
I told before post, I prefer learning instead of using tools.
to be successful like that hackers did, you need luck and hard work Wink
Post 28 Apr 2011, 20:33
Dex4u

Dex4u
When i got banned from the OSDev forum for help newbies out, by posting demo code.
I was banned by the mods for a day, so i ban them.
See here:
http://www.dex-os.com/Shot2/modban.jpg
Post 28 Apr 2011, 21:04
MHajduk

MHajduk
Dex4u wrote:
When i got banned from the OSDev forum for help newbies out, by posting demo code.
See here:
If I understood correctly, you need mods' IPs which have to be static, right? What if these IPs would be dynamically changed?
Post 28 Apr 2011, 21:16
Dex4u

Dex4u
MHajduk wrote:
Dex4u wrote:
See here:
If I understood correctly, you need mods' IPs which have to be static, right? What if these IPs would be dynamically changed?

Then they would be OK Wink, but has i got the same IP's repeating hitting the honey pot site, over a week, i used them.
Post 28 Apr 2011, 21:29
Enko

Enko
MHajduk wrote:
Dex4u wrote:
See here:

Generally, in when the isp have a good service as I understand, the IP is static, o perhaps changed only once a week or a month. Anless you are using an 3g/umts modem or you are in a third world country xD
Post 28 Apr 2011, 21:53
MHajduk

MHajduk
Enko wrote:
Generally, in when the isp have a good service as I understand, the IP is static, o perhaps changed only once a week or a month. Anless you are using an 3g/umts modem or you are in a third world country xD
Well, I've never considered Poland "a third world country" LOL. Anyway, my IP is always different (as I have observed it). Wink
Post 28 Apr 2011, 22:01
typedef

typedef
I can make a PHP and JavaScript program that can block an IP or a range of IPs. Even block proxies so no one come's to my website.
Hehehehe.... Very Happy Bad ass baby
Post 28 Apr 2011, 23:08
typedef

typedef
@Overflowz how did you find the Skype buffer overflow (PM me). Because I never use Skype that much. And have you observed it that it is still there and it is not fixed.
Post 28 Apr 2011, 23:14

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: