flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Win-Win for Earthquake-Ravaged Christchurch

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
neville

neville
The New Zealand Government has announced the formation of Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Agency (CERA - pronounced "Sarah"), a new government department charged with the rebuilding of Christchurch City.

CERA believes that Christchurch is ideally placed to become the forefront of a new nuclear power industry in New Zealand, and is recommending that two new nuclear reactors, each capable of generating up to 1500MW of electricity, should be built on reclaimed land at the port of Lyttelton near Christchurch.

Christchurch has vast quantities of rubble available, mainly bricks and concrete masonry, which CERA estimates is sufficient to create up to 20 hectares of new land by dumping it into Lyttelton Harbour.

The nuclear reactors would be safe, ultra-modern start-of-the-art designs, and the reclaimed land would be constructed in such a way that the entire reactors could be quickly submerged in the harbour in the very unlikely event of a major emergency. "This would guarantee cooling of the reactor cores and prevent any leakage of harmful radiation", a CERA spokesperson said.

Asked about the ongoing earthquake risk in the Christchurch area, CERA stressed that the reactor designs would be vastly different from those in Fukushima, Japan. "We will build Pressurised Water Reactors rather than the cheaper Boiling Water Reactors used in Japan" the spokesperson said.

The land reclamation project has already begun, and the power station designs are already well advanced. CERA has the advantage that it has been given wide powers to override existing legislation such as the Resource Management Act, so that the power station can be built quickly and with minimal public consultation. It will provide up to 2000 desperately-needed jobs during the construction phase and up to 500 permanent jobs when operational. "The new nuclear industry as a whole would be expected to generate many more downstream jobs for Christchurch and Canterbury", the CERA spokesperson added.

A win-win situation for Christchurch!

Post 31 Mar 2011, 22:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
nuclear reactor are permanent bombs.

damocles sword.

time to think about something else. the fact that everybody claims they need nuclear reactor is a proof of the lack of imagination from eveybody.

even at the opposite of the planet, people seems to lack a lot of imagination.
i know new zealand for hundertwasser.

hundertwasser was an activ'artist of the last century, he made several researches about the habitation, how to give a new dimension to our home sweet home by incuding trees on the walls, by giving every horizontal surface a place where to grow plants.

how to build a house that don't need any extra power to be comfortable.
that's where everybody should go, try to give the town a natural face, full of plants, with houses built in a natural way, with beautyfull appearance.

as you are in new zealand, you can maybe try to give them the light, because apparentlly, they really lack of imagination, or maybe think to much about immediate profits.

who claims that you need 2 reactors?
are they really living in new zealand? or are they just investors that needs a big money?
Post 31 Mar 2011, 23:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
edfed wrote:
the fact that everybody claims they need nuclear reactor is a proof of the lack of imagination from eveybody.

The imagination is there: we need aneutronic fusion reactors and space-based solar stations.

The resources are there: we have all the materials and, at the very least, the basics of the needed technologies; we have thousands of great minds working in these areas; every single major multinational corporation (e.g. Coca-Cola, Nike, Toyota, etc.) has a yearly advertising budget of more than 1 billion USD and the world's defense budget is more than 1.5 trillion USD.

All that is missing still is the willingness of our parliamentary (un)representatives to stop bowing to the all-powerful fossil fuel and nuclear fission lobbies.
Post 01 Apr 2011, 00:32
neville

neville
April fool!!!!!

When I posted this it was 11.32am on 1 April here in Christchurch NZ.

Well you know all about fool anyway edfed Razz Wink

Actually I totally agree with you edfed, I could hardly imagine anything worse or more stupid than what I made up here.

Nuclear power in NZ? - I sincerely hope not. Ever!

Nuclear reactors built on recently reclaimed land? Surely not!

In a known earthquake-prone area? How stupid is that?

And designing for dumping the reactors in the salt-water ocean? Crazy!

Well I guess we shouldn't laugh, after all most of it has already been done elsewhere in the world, and one day somebody will probably be stupid enough to do it. Crying or Very sad

PS: There are some true bits in my post - the CERA organisation has been established and it does have some very wide powers..... Shocked

Edit: Oh, and the dumping of rubble in Lyttelton harbour for land reclamation is also true, and they have just got into trouble for it because they didn't get permission through the Resource Management Act!! Cool

Post 01 Apr 2011, 19:28
edfed

edfed
Laughing
Post 01 Apr 2011, 23:49
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
For me the obvious flaw was having nuclear anything in NZ. While I was there in NZ the Japan reactor was "having trouble" and many of the NZ locals were proudly pointing out the fact that NZ is a nuclear free country.

Nice try though neville. Seems you caught a couple of fish Wink

Last edited by revolution on 02 Apr 2011, 03:28; edited 1 time in total
Post 02 Apr 2011, 02:35
Tyler

Tyler
That's a really elaborate story for you to have come up with it all alone. Kudos.

You should've waited 'til tomorrow to reveal it as a fake, though. Smile
Post 02 Apr 2011, 03:00

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: