flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > 40 children working at Megatrend for: 0.54 euros/hour

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ass0

ass0
40 children rescued from Shenzhen plant

Teenagers aged 12 to 14 found working at electronics factory were paid 5 yuan an hour.

And you told me there is no slavery in China...=(

source:
http://www.scmp.com/portal/site/SCMP/menuitem.2af62ecb329d3d7733492d9253a0a0a0/?vgnextoid=bf88b9f41fdee210VgnVCM100000360a0a0aRCRD&ss=China&s=News

Post 29 Mar 2011, 19:14
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
I've been thinking of having some children, but the initial investment is too high. If I could get ten years of labor out of them it might be worth it. Need to move to some redneck backwoods town to have the community and church support. Then it might be feasible. Very Happy
Post 29 Mar 2011, 19:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
how can a sane human make work (or fuck) childrens?
Post 29 Mar 2011, 19:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ass0

ass0
damn you: Image

Post 29 Mar 2011, 19:46
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Welcome to 19th century Europe, edfed. Cool
Post 29 Mar 2011, 21:52
asmhack

asmhack
At least they weren't paid fifty cents per hour.
Post 29 Mar 2011, 22:20
Tyler

Tyler
asmhack wrote:
At least they weren't paid fifty cents per hour.
I agree; 76 cents is so much better; It's not even comparable. Razz
Post 29 Mar 2011, 22:45
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
ass0 wrote:
And you told me there is no slavery in China...
There may, or may not, be slavery in China. But this news article is not about slavery, it is about child labour. Two entirely different things. I expect the child labour was driven more by poverty than anything else. Most probably the parents were aware of it and were not concerned. And the children want to work to earn the money.
Post 30 Mar 2011, 01:20
Coty

Coty
When I was 11 I would have worked for $0.76 an hour... Anything to kill my summer boredom.. Lets see if I worked 8 hours a day then that would have been, $6.08... Thats more my my allowance for a week back then... Just 5 days a week is $30.80... I could get like one video game a week :p
Post 30 Mar 2011, 01:41
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
ass0

ass0
0.54 euros/hour == pure slavery for any age.

you will tell me that 'depends' the purchasing power of one country to another, and i will refute that China cannot consider herself a pour country, since China has more millionaires than UK, and i am not talking about 'Yuan millionaires' but 'euro millionaires', so that from my point of view is just hypocrisy coming from the second world superpower and btw the most RED (as chinese leaders said themselves were 'reder' than the extinct USSR) of the COMUNISTS.

Post 30 Mar 2011, 01:44
ass0

ass0
Coty wrote:
...back then...

The oil in the 90's was <= 20 bucks the barrel, now it is >= 100 bucks.

Post 30 Mar 2011, 01:55
revolution

revolution
ass0 wrote:
0.54 euros/hour == pure slavery for any age.
Some people work for free as volunteers. You can't use monetary payments as a basis for defining slavery.
Post 30 Mar 2011, 02:15
ass0

ass0
one thing is to be a volunteer working to help; another much different thing is to work in order to eat, to survive.

Post 30 Mar 2011, 02:19
revolution

revolution
ass0 wrote:
... another much different thing is to work in order to eat, to survive.
That is still not slavery.
Post 30 Mar 2011, 02:21
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
With money being worth less all the time, it might be better to work directly for commodities. I've worked for room and board in the past - usually not a bad deal, and to leave with some money at the end is even better.
Post 30 Mar 2011, 02:21
ass0

ass0
Contemporary slavery is not the old-fashioned slavery of course, you won't see people with shackles and chains but the essence is the same:
At one side there is the millionaire master (owner of the factory/farm/enterprise/whatever) and at the other side there are the slaves (poor people that if don't work today, won't eat tomorrow, people without healthcare, pension fund, and their salary isn't enough to save for a decent retirement).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery#Contemporary_slavery

Post 30 Mar 2011, 02:44
roboman

roboman
The story was very lacking in details. I was much younger then that when I first started working.
Post 30 Mar 2011, 02:51
revolution

revolution
ass0 wrote:
Contemporary slavery is not the old-fashioned slavery of course, you won't see people with shackles and chains but the essence is the same:
At one side there is the millionaire master (owner of the factory/farm/enterprise/whatever) and at the other side there are the slaves (poor people that if don't work today, won't eat tomorrow, people without healthcare, pension fund, and their salary isn't enough to save for a decent retirement).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery#Contemporary_slavery
Slavery is the absence of freedom to choose. The link you posted is not about these people having no freedom to choose. They have freely chosen to work for the money in return. And they are free to choose to work for someone else, or no one (if they can find someone to support them). I also work for food and shelter. If I don't work today then pretty quickly I would also starve and have no place to live. But I am not a slave.

But note: I am not saying this is a good thing, just that it is not slavery. The parents should probably be scolded for not providing proper education but that is also a different issue.
Post 30 Mar 2011, 02:55
ass0

ass0
Who in his right mind will work for cents for a wealthy enterprise!.
Ok, they didn't mean to work there, they were subcontracted... oh wait that's even worse!, if they have an accident inside the factory they cannot sue the company itself but the subcontractor, which most likely will declare itself bankrupt.

Post 30 Mar 2011, 03:17
revolution

revolution
ass0 wrote:
Who in his right mind will work for cents for a wealthy enterprise!.
Ok, they didn't mean to work there, they were subcontracted... oh wait that's even worse!, if they have an accident inside the factory they cannot sue the company itself but the subcontractor, which most likely will declare itself bankrupt.
That is where education comes in. These children cannot possibly be wise enough to think about such things.
Post 30 Mar 2011, 03:51

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: