flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > AMD: DirectX is Holding PC Graphics Back

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ctl3d32

ctl3d32
Post 22 Mar 2011, 00:03
Coty

Coty
I agree, make the API go away. Finally, experts relies and speak up Very Happy
Post 22 Mar 2011, 01:40
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
ctl3d32

ctl3d32
It would be great to use the video card and asm to speed up things. No more CUDA!
Post 22 Mar 2011, 01:52
Dex4u

Dex4u
Its seem that the world is years behind DexOS, first it was the single tasking, later taken up by i-phones and i-pads, then i menu driven GUI, now we have the bare metal direct to hardware.

And if that was not bad enough, GM took our name .

P.S: When i was first naming DexOS many years ago, i was going to call it the game POD, but no one like the POD bit, i should of listened to myself Laughing .
Post 22 Mar 2011, 19:25
f0dder

f0dder
In other news: AMD sucks at writing graphics drivers? Razz
Post 24 Mar 2011, 13:03
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Nothing will change until the GPU manufacturers actually release the low-level specs/info for the cards. The current climate of secret proprietary hardware designs is not helping to eliminate the APIs.

Pressure to have DRM is not helping either. If people have full info on GPU cards then with the idea of using protected paths it suddenly becomes very difficult to hide the copy detection tricks.
Post 24 Mar 2011, 13:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sinsi

sinsi
Speaking of DRM, my new GTX 580 has, as a "feature", HDCP.
Not only that but it installs 4 devices - NVIDIA High Definition Audio.

Thanks Intel!
Post 24 Mar 2011, 13:34
revolution

revolution
HDCP was fully broken a while ago so that is not an issue anymore. But HDCP is on the high bandwidth end so that is not the best place to be making backup copies. It is the other end, the compressed data input, that the real interesting stuff takes place.
Post 24 Mar 2011, 13:47
f0dder

f0dder
sinsi wrote:
Not only that but it installs 4 devices - NVIDIA High Definition Audio.
A device you'd appreciate if you used your PC to decode HD movies to your HDTV.

Post 24 Mar 2011, 16:32
Coty

Coty
Dex4u wrote:
first it was the single tasking, later taken up by i-phones and i-pads,

However, the new iOS 4.x supports full multi tasking... http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ios4/

As apple has found, people want multitasking even on small devices, And who wouldn't? I for one love to download apps in the background and surf the net while listening to music. I think they had to because they were quickly losing ground to android.
Post 25 Mar 2011, 14:43
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
@Coty, I think thats just apples play on words, note the words new type of multi-tasking.
Quote:

Note that task switching is not the same as multitasking. In multitasking, the CPU switches back and forth quickly between programs, giving the appearance that all programs are running simultaneously. In task switching, the CPU does not switch back and forth, but executes only one program at a time. Task switching does allow you to switch smoothly from one program to another.

Task switching is sometimes called context switching.

Alot of the so call background app, are using the onboard chip to do tasks, decode and play music, etc.

NOTE: The kernel has aways been able to multi-task, but it was not used.
So this is not a case of not been available, but more it works better without it.

Anyway multi-tasking is old, we will soon just give each app a core or two, like i posted many years ago.
Post 25 Mar 2011, 17:01
Coty

Coty
Actually, I believe multitasking has been on it for years, but never for 3rd party apps. With those you had switch tasks, on newer models all apps are actually supposed to run in the background while you do other things. And with a 1Ghz Processor it is almost as fully capable as my netbook, and thats amusing that it doesn't have a daul core chip....

Please do correct me if I am wrong, but don't multi core processors still need some form of multi tasking capable software to have one task per core?
Post 25 Mar 2011, 23:27
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Coty wrote:
Please do correct me if I am wrong, but don't multi core processors still need some form of multi tasking capable software to have one task per core?
Only some type of synchronization between cores is needed as each core can operate independent of others. No modern OS does this though.

My understanding of the small portable devices (ARM), is that they have true multi-tasking, but it is used rather sparingly to save cycles and power. An application must register a task(service) for multi-tasking. The main applications themselves are not multi-tasking -- switching applications suspends the previous one.

I'm thinking application were not allowed to create tasks that multi-tasked, and recent changes made that possible?

Post 28 Mar 2011, 05:18
Tyler

Tyler
bitRAKE wrote:
I'm thinking application were not allowed to create tasks that multi-tasked, and recent changes made that possible?
Less of an change in apps, more of a change in interface. In the old single tasking, you have to exit(kill) a task before the interface would switch back to the pick-an-app interface. I assume the ability to multitask has existed for years. It was just now that they redesigned interfaces to support it.
Post 28 Mar 2011, 05:42
revolution

revolution
Getting off topic here but anyway ... making a fully multitasking/multithreading OS is no more difficult, and no more easy, on ARM than it is with x86. It appears to be just a decision that is made by the OS writers. I can't believe that it is to save power. The work still needs to be done regardless of how you switch it around or in what order you do it. Indeed, switching overhead is a lot less for ARM than with x86, no cache flushing is needed and, depending upon the layout, translation tables don't even need changing.

Perhaps the smaller screen (and often no screen with embedded stuff) makes it less friendly to be able to visualise multiple tasks all doing stuff at once? Perhaps it is just laziness by the coders that can't be bothered to go the extra step and make it fully functional? Perhaps it is simply inertia because no one else does it so they don't do it either? Perhaps it is some combination of all of the these.
Post 28 Mar 2011, 07:29
sinsi

sinsi
The old "taken out of context" excuse.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/DirextX-OpenGL-APIs-Neal-Robison-Richard-Huddy,12466.html

>A device you'd appreciate if you used your PC to decode HD movies to your HDTV.
It's never going to happen f0dder, so why should I put up with sound glitches? Sad
Post 28 Mar 2011, 07:38
f0dder

f0dder
sinsi: hm, sounds glitches - why?
Post 28 Mar 2011, 15:55

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: