flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > When dev Team turn bad

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Dex4u

Dex4u
This is the store of a OS Dev Team, that was never a team.

It started along time ago when a group of likely minded ASM fans wanted to code a simple OS, that would be ideal for learning and coding using ASM.
A bare metal 32bit supper Dos, now out of this founding team only one member could code.
But as the only coder was fair, he alway put coded by a 'team'.
Along time past and many coders joined the team, some who could code and add good programs to make the OS better.
These included coders like 0x4e71, hidnplayr, roboman (steve).
Now in the small circle of hobby OS's this OS called DexOS got well known.
This did not happen over night, but took 10 years hard work.

Then one day the main coder (dex) was ill and in hospital, he let the main domain of the OS slip, this was taken over by a new member of the DexOS forum.

Now i think you can guess the rest.
When i got back, i was not even made a mod in the new forum, the none coders of the team decided to take DexOS in a new direction to make it better for C programs.

All they needed to do was fork, but no they want the links and good name of DexOS, that i coded.

PS: None of the coders mentioned above had anything to do with the takeover.
Post 08 Mar 2011, 18:58
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
I'm sorry to read that.

You should make your "own" fork, under the name DexOS Genuine Smile and always make it clear you don't support the original project.

Last edited by ManOfSteel on 08 Mar 2011, 19:48; edited 1 time in total
Post 08 Mar 2011, 19:34
tom tobias

tom tobias
Hi Craig,

For us, DEXOS will always be associated with you, no matter what they may pursue.

I agree with ManOfSteel.

Perhaps the most important point of your message, is that you are no longer in hospital, and one hopes that your illness has been resolved favorably.

People can sometimes behave incredibly selfishly.

Sorry for your loss....

Sad
Post 08 Mar 2011, 19:46
JohnFound

JohnFound
Sad story... who is the bad guy (lone_wolf?) and what he says? Or you are banned from the forum as well?
Post 08 Mar 2011, 19:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
Thanks for all your support,
@JohnFound, i do not want to name people, but a lot of the post are deleted and i get
Quote:

I IM YOU... My Responce....
if you can not read have someone explain it to you..

but if you do not respond to that.. and do continue to act this way to me and the other users I will ban u..
sorry... but you have given me no more choice..
He thinks because i was ill and the HOST phoned me up to ask if a member of the forum could take over the domain and i said yes, that makes the OS his.

I offered to pay for the host, but you know the answer.
I do not want to be any part of that forum, lucky i still have the old one.

The license is the same as FASM is under.
Post 08 Mar 2011, 20:11
JohnFound

JohnFound
Dex4u wrote:
@JohnFound, i do not want to name people...

And why not??? If someone is dirt enough to steal another's domain, he does not deserve kind behavior. The names of the scoundrels must be known.
Anyway, the ManOfSteel's suggestion is not bad. Make not fork, but "trunk" named "DexOS Genuine" and change something fundamental in order to break the compatibility with the fake project. Very Happy
Post 08 Mar 2011, 20:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
lets go for CBoS and forget dexos

give them dexos rights, and with your knowledge of dexos internal, your experience, and your own mind (nobody can think like you, then nobody can code someting like you), you make your own work.

if it took to you 4 years to do the first daxos, lets go for do a far better OS in 4 weeks, from scratch. Smile
Post 09 Mar 2011, 01:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
@JohnFound, yes you right it was one_wolf.

@edfed, Laughing Work is already in-progress on a new OS, i was a beginner when i started DexOS, but now i know a little more.

I put a old backup of the site here:
http://www.dex-os.com

As i have no control over the old site.
I will update with better pages soon.
Post 09 Mar 2011, 02:32
Tyler

Tyler
Do you know that guy personally? You should kick him in the nuts. Seriously.
Post 09 Mar 2011, 03:11
edfed

edfed
yep!

and if you don't know him personnaly (inducing you never saw him, and maybe he don't live in your country), you should not spend time to try to kick his ass, just do your passion, the best you can, and if one day he comes back to you, give him a cruched version of your work, just in order to kill his PC.

someting like a hiroshima virus remake can be a good implementation to do, i have 2 old PCs to test it, and maybe some public PCs to test in real boot from floppy.

but don't focus on vengeance, of course, it maybe you think about all the things you can do to recovers your old site.

just change the project name, choose one more in adequation with what asm is.

is not only OS
then, doint an OS with a name ending by OS is a little....you know.

just looks, the 2 oses thats works the more on the planet are:
Linux (everywhere, PC, router, phones, etc...)
Windows (everywhere, PC, PPC, phones,...)

and their names don't incluse OS inside.

then, choose a cool name.
like the city where you live, or the flavour of ice cream you like...
Very Happy
Post 09 Mar 2011, 03:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Coty

Coty
More drama Sad

... Dex forgot to include a little information though... See here:

http://dex.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=594

He wound up 'giving' DexOS to Steve as he said here:

http://dex4u.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=316#p316

Then Lone_Wolf joined him, and they worked on the kernel together until Steve had a divorce... Dex came back, hung around for a few months, then demands DexOS back shortly after the release of Dos32...

It is Dex's kernel, and DexOS is his, but I think it is basically a huge misunderstanding on the matter, how Lone_Wolf got the dex4u domain and all the files on it, I don't know...

Just to be clear, I'm not taking sides on this! I wish to remain neutral, kthxbye
Post 09 Mar 2011, 04:11
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
yep, neutral.

it is just an old code, not the future.
Post 09 Mar 2011, 04:17
YONG

YONG
@Dex4u:

Don't look back in anger, and move forward fearlessly! Wink

Wish you all the best in the development of your new OS! Razz
Post 09 Mar 2011, 05:15
roboman

roboman
Well I didn't really want to get into this. Dex got sick and ask for some one to take things over. He didn't seem really sure if it would be for a short while or forever. I told him I would but other then a few tweaks or minor add ons, would likely be releasing what I did as a fork. I found a few minor things with the last release that could be optimized, a few bits of dead code, and added a couple of minor things. I released it as a in work beta to the people on the DexOS forum and started looking really hard at the disk and file system. I couldn't find a way to expand on it with out fundamentally changing it, hence http://home.comcast.net/~dexos/Dos32ex/ a fork. I called it more Dos like, more like a mix of cp/m, MikeOS, Basic stamp, Arduino, 8 bit Atari, and command line stuff from Amiga, pushed up into a 32 bit asm command line OS with some QBasic 4.5 like support. Huge project and to be honest I would be happy with DexOS if the file stuff was better. The file section was way to much Dex and a rewrite by me would be way to different and really another OS and maybe a branch. What ever, I would be happy if Dex wants to use my Ansi.sys like add on, os support of several text modes and full screen Dir command. He's also welcome to remove/not use them, DexOS is his as far as I'm concerned. I missed the start of the argument, don't want to get involved, was happy LoneWolf put up the money and effort to keep the domain up. The problems between Dex LoneWolf and any one else, I don't know any details, don't want to know, dealing with way to many trailing details from 2010, the marriage break up being only a small part. Working on a couple games for the last ver of DexOS, I'll likely convert what I do to what ever OS's come out of the arguments, if it all falls apart, maybe I'll work on my fork again, but I would rather work on programs then an os.... Best wishes to every one involved. I have no hard feelings towards any one on the project. What ever happens, hope I still get to play with others source and hopefully share a bit of mine that some one might find interesting.
Post 09 Mar 2011, 05:19
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
new OS, a new own fork and never trust human again, take control and u know, communism works better some time.
Post 09 Mar 2011, 21:30
edfed

edfed
yep, a new own fork. but i believe sometimes, it can be possible to imagine some real collaboration. just look at south park.

the creators of south park are THE example of real team, made in america.

the idea to follow with what they made is to be really collaborative, and share the tasks equally, and share the results equally.

i don't know them at all, and there are no many texts about them on the net, all are really old texts.

but i am realy sure, when i see their episodes, that they are really in a very good relationship, and it will never end, just listen to their message, it cannot be possible for them to be separated.
and even if comedy central don't give them new contract, they will do this togheter.

just wait the april 27th for season 15, episode 1. Very Happy
Post 09 Mar 2011, 22:25
JohnFound

JohnFound
sleepsleep wrote:
...and never trust human again...

Well, this is actually over-reaction. Most of the humans are honest and deserve trust.

Quote:
...communism works better some time.

Communism, actually is collective thing. It is impossible without trust to others.
Post 10 Mar 2011, 07:22
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
maybe over a bit, but then, huhu...
but anyway, life goes on... Wish u all the best with ur new OS
Post 10 Mar 2011, 12:48

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: