flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Christchurch earthquake

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
neville

neville
Hello from Christchurch NZ. We are currently observing 2 minutes silence in commemoration of the devasting 6.3 earthquake which struck this city exactly 1 week ago. There are 154 confirmed fatalities so far.

Post 28 Feb 2011, 23:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JohnFound

JohnFound
It is very sad. My deep sympathy! I hope, you are OK and all your friends and relatives.
Unfortunately human race still can't control such nature forces, so we only can try to survive.
Post 28 Feb 2011, 23:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
neville

neville
Thank you JohnFound. Yes my family and friends are all ok. We are all very lucky. One of my daughters and I were walking past the CTV building which totally collapsed just 30 minutes before the quake struck.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/4715113/Nation-stops-to-remember-Christchurch-earthquake-victims

Post 01 Mar 2011, 00:01
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ouadji

ouadji

I have followed closely these informations!
i'm very sad for you all! don't lose heart!

(sorry for my bad english)

Post 01 Mar 2011, 00:09
tom tobias

tom tobias
Thanks for the report, Neville, and for the good news that you are without injury. Unlike some other recent earthquake related disasters, I suppose that the construction quality in Christchurch would be first class, and not flimsy. Accordingly, the collapse of those buildings suggests that this was a very serious earthquake.

Were there any reports of it generating Tsunamis nearby?

Best Wishes on a sorrowful occasion--

Sad
Post 01 Mar 2011, 02:01
roboman

roboman
My sympathies, glad to hear you and yours are ok.

The quality of construction was probably good for what they expected the buildings to need to hold up to. With out giving it a great deal of thought, you would think a solid well constructed building would be the right thing for a quake. Living in a place where we get to many quakes, even up to that size will show you different. The buildings need to be designed to not be solid and need to shake and bend to stand that kind of earth quake. Cement and brick needs to have rebar or heavy wire mesh in it and expansion joints where it can flex to hold together and not crack and crumble. A lot of what makes a building hold up well to nasty weather makes it to solid to hold up when you shake and bend it.
Post 01 Mar 2011, 03:44
sinsi

sinsi
Best wishes, cobber. Looks like this one tried to finish off what the first one did...
Post 01 Mar 2011, 04:45
neville

neville
Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. Yes NZ building standards are supposed to be amongst the best in the world especailly for earthquake resistance. There will be official inquiries into many of the major collapses. The CTV building should not have collapsed in a 6.3 quake. It had rubber mounts etc, but this quake was unusual in many respects - high displacements, high velocities and accelerations and multi-directional. The 7.1 / 7.4 quakes last September might have weakened many buildings but Christchurch is built on a soft alluvial plain, so maybe high-rise buildings are not really a good idea here. Hind sight is a wonderful thing but that's not rocket science I guess.

Post 01 Mar 2011, 08:55
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
It appears as though Christchurch fared very well, considering:
Tuesday's quake caused so much damage because the shaking was very intense.

Peak ground acceleration was up to 2.2 times gravity.

"Most cities in the world would be totally flattened by such acceleration," Yeats said.
I am going there on Saturday. If an earthquake strikes while I am there I will not be too worried, I already know the buildings are some of the strongest in the world.
Post 02 Mar 2011, 10:13
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
I am going there on Saturday. If an earthquake strikes while I am there ...
Would you like to leave your last words here before you go? Rolling Eyes FASM forumers would need to know how to deal with your estate in case something unfortunate happens to you. Wink
Post 02 Mar 2011, 11:16
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
Would you like to leave your last words here before you go?
Okay. My last words will be: "Gazpacho soup". Then I will come back as a hologram. Wink
Post 02 Mar 2011, 11:24
YONG

YONG
Well, I am not familiar with Red Dwarf!
Quote:
Red Dwarf, the BBC comedy science fiction series, was based on the adventures of Chief Technician Arnold Rimmer, David Lister, Holly the ships computer, Cat and Kryton the android. Arnold Rimmer was a hologram. He was a minor crew member who caused the death of the ship's entire crew, other than Dave Lister who was punished by being in stasis, by causing a radiation leak. The last words of Rimmer were Gazpacho Soup. Holly brought him back as the ship's only hologram to keep Lister sane. Lister watches recordings of Arnold's death and eventually finds out why Gazpacho Soup were his last words. He tells Dave Lister that he was a young officer cadet proudly at the Captain's table having dinner. He was brought soup and whilst the table were tucking into the delicious soup he returned it to the steward, complaining loudly that it was cold and to bring him back a piping hot bowl. The Captain and his guests had a good laugh at Rimmer and he never recovered from the humiliation.
Wink
Post 02 Mar 2011, 11:42
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
Well, I am not familiar with Red Dwarf!
You are now. Very Happy
Post 02 Mar 2011, 12:35
neville

neville
Quote:
I am going there on Saturday. If an earthquake strikes while I am there I will not be too worried, I already know the buildings are some of the strongest in the world.
Hey it would be good to meet up with you rev, I could meet you at the airport if you like (unless of course you are really an NZer & you are driving here Razz ) PM me your contact details and we can catch up. We won't be able to have a drink at the world-famous Carlton unfortunately because it has seen better days. And unless you are a high-ranking diplomat or an otherwise VIP I don't like your chances of getting within the CBD cordon. Cheers, look forward to hearing from you.

BTW I admire your faith in NZ structural engineering, but even the strongest buildings are no match for certain types of earthquakes such as the one we've just had. And imagine the same type of earthquake 10 times stronger at 7.3 Sad Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from visiting us. I'm sure you know what you're doing Wink

Post 03 Mar 2011, 02:55
revolution

revolution
neville wrote:
BTW I admire your faith in NZ structural engineering, but even the strongest buildings are no match for certain types of earthquakes such as the one we've just had. And imagine the same type of earthquake 10 times stronger at 7.3 Sad Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from visiting us. I'm sure you know what you're doing Wink
Well, put it this way, if I get caught in an earthquake then it is safer for me to experience it in Christchurch than most of the other cities in the world.
Post 03 Mar 2011, 07:55

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: