flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > universal keyboard.

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
b1528932

b1528932
I had an idea, and what makes me wonder is why nobody though about it before.

Create a keyboard device wich is has a fixed mechanical layout but instead of glyphs - it has 64x64 displays. Those diaplays wouldnt have to be fance as on monitor, just black keys, and white leds forming a custom glyph (4096 variations). Obviously there is no need for 1 keyboard to hold entire milion of unicode codepoints and even more if we meet other races and want to maintain compatible hardware. Each keyboard is similar, it doesnt have bilion keys, even chinese use standard layout but using modyfier keys like shift, altgr, and of course dead keys.
My concept keyboard would continue to send fixed scan codes per key, like its today. But it would also accept commands. Each command would contain index (equal to scan code) of particular key, and 12 bits forming an image on that key. When user install OS, he would choose visual layout, and driver would write his keyboard as he likes it. When he press dead char or modyfier key, all keys would be updated (by a driver) to match new characters.

Making this hardware would be more expensive, considerably more, but i dont think price would go beyond 100$ (and i belive today razer has more expensive keyboards, only because of trade mark).
Think how cool it would look on your desktop, i would buy it for sure.

Last edited by b1528932 on 28 Jan 2011, 21:26; edited 1 time in total
Post 28 Jan 2011, 21:24
Artlav

Artlav
They thought of it.
http://store.artlebedev.com/electronics/optimus-maximus/

$2000 or so. Not worth it in my opinion.
Post 28 Jan 2011, 21:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
b1528932

b1528932
it doesnt look like my idea. on image i can see come colour icons.
2400$? I dont think so... Use cheapest leds, leave some keys like enter, f1-12, tab, space as normal, and it would be ok! Add some competition, and its affordable!

Quote:
At least 20 MB of free space on hard drive.

At least 256 MB of RAM.

256mb of ram for this? ok Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post 28 Jan 2011, 21:29
Artlav

Artlav
Each key have a 64x64 OLED display, that change with shift, alt, language change, etc and can be reprogrammed to show, say, photoshop shortcuts on special key press.

Looks close to your description by my understanding.

About $2400 - half is for design. These are design products they sell, not consumer ones, so price can probably go down a bit.

No idea what they need the RAM for, maybe the config program?

EDIT: Google pictures for optimus maximus to get a better idea of what that is.
Post 28 Jan 2011, 21:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
b1528932

b1528932
Ok so it was already done, but why so expensive?!
Why use expensive OLED, instead of normal led? Its just a keyborad! It doesnt need to be smooth, even 32x32 white only would do fine, on just ~60 keys, thats 62k leds, i dont know the price of 1 led, but it can be high, its a simple device manufactured by bilions... Add a price of controllers for each key, main controller for keyboard, usb controller, and thats it.

Why companies dont understand that lower price => more sells => more profit, and higher price => less sells => less profit.
Post 28 Jan 2011, 21:42
JohnFound

JohnFound
1. Normal users never watch the keyboard at all.
2. The price can drop down, but $240 or $2400 what is the difference when the normal, pretty high quality keyboard costs $10?
3. The live of the usual keyboard is very short - on my computer, the cheap keyboard lives something around 3 months. Even relatively high quality keyboard - like Dell or Compaq lives no more than 2 years. Isn't it pity to discard hundred OLED displays just because of broken key.

This Lebedev keyboard is very fine, but it is aimed for rich people, that almost never use the keyboard for typing. Smile
Post 29 Jan 2011, 07:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
shoorick

shoorick
maybe this one will be interesting: keyboard for blonde girls Wink

Post 30 Jan 2011, 11:29
edfed

edfed
what about a keyboard with all keys white?
that would be a geeky one!!
Post 30 Jan 2011, 15:04
b1528932

b1528932
Why bother with keyboards, they are very inefficient.
I would prefer to have neural interface, software reading brain states and acting on it. Much like voice recognition.

You think 'i want to type letter u+0x666', interface is transmitting your thoughts to PC, and software analyze brain waves and sends message to application containing character you want.

When you are playing game, you can think of directions (left, right, prone, run, scope, shoot, reload, etc). Software would read it, and do the job.

It would be much better than any controller, as all you would need to do is think.

Can it be done, at least to some partial functionality (for example to enable cripples without hands using computers)? I do not mean here helping people without hands, just advancing technology and helping along the way.

Also i would like to get rind of display device, pc should just send back information to brain. Ok this part might be tricky so i dont expect it any time soon.

I belive that with good software and good quality controller (not made in china, but maybe made in japan) it would be as reliable as typing using fingers, with even less room for error if interface use some sort of signal to keep brain waves in sync (ordering persons random thoughts, basicly improving vastly concentration, when you think about 1 thing, nothing else pops into your mind, when you want to be creative, you just see much more options how to do somrthing because your head is 'clear', not corrupted with thoughts you dont want there).

I think that kind of device would be great, not only providing i/o with machine, but actually augmenting brains efficiency.
I would like to think about doing some math, like multiplication of large number. Then device would send a signal to my brain making it think only of multiplication, and making access to memory much easier. Try to multiply 4237884923423 by 234723848239, you would run out of memory before even doing 1st row... Why? Because your brain produce random thoughts, wich you want to supress (for a limited time of course, i dont want to became a machine). And i belive that brains RAM isnt very efficient. Could use synthetic one, along with improved access to it (by artificial focusing thoughts).
Post 30 Jan 2011, 22:26
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Neural interface? Ugh, no thanks. I think of all sorts of nonsense when I'm at the computer. The last thing I need is for all that to be going into the computer (and into post windows and assembly sources).
Post 31 Jan 2011, 00:15
Coty

Coty
Oh, might as well toss our eyes in the trash and monitors to, you know its more efficient to just ditch our whole bodies and connect into a new matrix system.
Post 31 Jan 2011, 00:56
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
JohnFound

JohnFound
edfed wrote:
what about a keyboard with all keys white?
that would be a geeky one!!

It is my favourite: Das Keyboard Ultimate

It is black, not white, but it is better. Unfortunately, too expansive for me. Very Happy
Post 31 Jan 2011, 07:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
shoorick

shoorick
my first keyboard was made of buttons of dead calculators, so, there were only digits, "+", "-", "=" etc. Wink but i've learn it too fast and there were no sticks with letters about three years on it Wink
Post 31 Jan 2011, 07:27
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
The real universal keyboard (with cooling (for fast typists)):
Post 26 Mar 2011, 13:17
roboman

roboman
sounds like the screen of a tablet pc.
Post 26 Mar 2011, 18:23
dosin

dosin
http://www.gadzooki.com/computer-peripherals/itech-virtual-keyboard/

project any type of keyboard layout.. if its programmable..Smile

also:
http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/products.asp
at the bottom of this page has a mouse demo..

would be more comfortable than using a mouse..
Post 26 Mar 2011, 18:42
JohnFound

JohnFound
I don't know about mouse, but sensor keyboards are not suitable for long work - for the proper typing, tactile feedback is a must.
Post 26 Mar 2011, 19:06
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
For prose I like speech recognition.
Navigation is best with a touch screen due to random access nature.

Anything technical requires a keyboard/mouse for precision.

All the reviews I've read of the $2000 keyboard say it's too stiff and uncomfortable to use. How long does it take to memorize new key combinations one is going to use on a regular basis? And if the software is rarely used then maybe the menu is okay.
Post 28 Mar 2011, 04:53

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: