flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Just make the world 100% English ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
edfed

edfed
i'd prefer the world 100% french. as english is a child of french.

more exactlly, 50% from france, 50% from germany.
and be sure, french is a more beautifull langage than english.

english is more something like the new-born langage, "yeah", "no", etc, all these phonems are the first made by any baby all over the world. that's why english is so easy.

but as we are advanced humans, we all can francklly speak in french and devellop our ideas using a very large amount of words.

do you really want all the humanity speak like babies?
Post 08 Jan 2011, 15:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
guignol

guignol
Coty
As a nation you are bastards.
That can't be denied.
Take a recent example: the Avatar. (oooh!!)
You'd rather spend a billion on toilet paper (which is also made of trees, for those who don't know) to see some idea perverted over a film screen, than...hmm, I really don't know, if you're actually capable of anything else...

edfed
Will you stop it?! English is not a French infant! Duufff!!...
French is not more beautiful, it's more bizzare. Razz
Post 08 Jan 2011, 15:31
Coty

Coty
edfed:
goo gah goo goo! Very Happy

IMHO, I don't care what language we speak, as long as I can communicate with the next guy, and so on. English is very easy compared to other languages, and French is very beautiful... But both of these are opinions thus I treat them as such and do try to push them on as a fact, because, it is only my opinion.

I see the best way to advance as humans, is to not rely on any language that we have now, but instead to create a new language from the ground up with new grammar, letters, numbers (numbers should be based on Hex!), spelling, sentence structure, not based on any other language we have, but one that fits into and is directly integrated into todays society. Other wise we aren't really advancing, were just keeping old glue that we have had for ages.

guignol:
I do not deny that as a country, we are indeed a country of bastards whom care nothing for the environment and would rather destroy anything for one laugh.

Post 08 Jan 2011, 15:38
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote
asmhack

asmhack
Most words in English are Greek actually, not to mention that alphabet was in turn the basis of the Latin, Cyrillic, Coptic, and many other writing systems. Besides that, Greek language has unique virtues, such as expressibility, flexibility, composing power, productivity, which means that it composes and produces words according to the needs of the speaker.
Post 08 Jan 2011, 15:55
guignol

guignol
Coty wrote:
I see the best way to advance as humans, is to not rely on any language that we have now, but instead to create a new language from the ground up with new grammar, letters, numbers (numbers should be based on Hex!), spelling, sentence structure, not based on any other language we have, but one that fits into and is directly integrated into todays society. Other wise we aren't really advancing, were just keeping old glue that we have had for ages.
Cut those trees! We need more arable land.
Post 08 Jan 2011, 16:05
asmhack

asmhack
guignol
is your internet connection such a necessary good, up there, in your tree house ?
Post 08 Jan 2011, 16:24
rugxulo

rugxulo
guignol wrote:

edfed
Will you stop it?! English is not a French infant! Duufff!!...
French is not more beautiful, it's more bizzare. Razz

Wikipedia wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

Many French words are also intelligible to an English speaker, especially when they are seen in writing (as pronunciations are often quite different), because English absorbed a large vocabulary from Norman and French, via Anglo-Norman after the Norman Conquest, and directly from French in subsequent centuries. As a result, a large portion of English vocabulary is derived from French, with some minor spelling differences ....

And that's just from French proper. Like I said, as much as 60% of English appears to have had some influence (directly or indirectly) from Latin, which is indeed the father of French (and other Romance languages).
Post 10 Jan 2011, 17:29
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
guignol

guignol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#Word_origins wrote:
A computerised survey of about 80,000 words in the old Shorter Oxford Dictionary (3rd ed.) was published in Ordered Profusion by Thomas Finkenstaedt and Dieter Wolff (1973)[92] that estimated the origin of English words as follows:
Influences in English vocabulary

* Langue d'oïl, including French and Old Norman: 28.3%
* Latin, including modern scientific and technical Latin: 28.24%
* Germanic languages (including words directly inherited from Old English; does not include Germanic words coming from the Germanic element in French, Latin or other Romance languages): 25%
* Greek: 5.32%
* No etymology given: 4.03%
* Derived from proper names: 3.28%
* All other languages: less than 1%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language#Vocabulary wrote:
It is estimated that 12% (4,200) of common French words found in a typical dictionary such as the Petit Larousse or Micro-Robert Plus (35,000 words) are of foreign origin (where Greek and Latin learned words are not seen as foreign). About 25% (1,054) of these foreign words come from English and are fairly recent borrowings. The others are some 707 words from Italian, 550 from ancient Germanic languages, 481 from other Gallo-Romance languages, 215 from Arabic, 164 from German, 160 from Celtic languages, 159 from Spanish, 153 from Dutch, 112 from Persian and Sanskrit, 101 from Native American languages, 89 from other Asian languages, 56 from other Afro-Asiatic languages, 55 from Slavic languages and Baltic languages, 10 from Basque and 144 (about 3%) from other languages.
Post 10 Jan 2011, 17:53
rugxulo

rugxulo
Quote:
English is very easy compared to other languages

No. It can be easy grammatically for simple phrases where you say "The man walked his dog", but for complex things (and don't forget the heavily irregular spelling and pronunciation) it's a mess.

Quote:

I see the best way to advance as humans, is to not rely on any language that we have now, but instead to create a new language from the ground up

Already been done several dozen times with little success. Besides, "designed by committee" is not usually associated with success.

Don't forget that you haven't even convinced most people of the "need" of a new language, they think theirs is perfectly fine. (It probably is, but who's gonna learn it? Probably only someone with a [business or personal] need or maybe just an amateur for fun. Well, or if it's forced on them, which is bad.)

Quote:

with new grammar, letters, numbers (numbers should be based on Hex!), spelling, sentence structure, not based on any other language we have, but one that fits into and is directly integrated into todays society.

Like I said, how would you convince anybody? E-o took existing roots and heavily simplified grammar and spelling and pronunciation and STILL people complain because it's "too Euro-centric" and somehow biased against Asians (or whomever). Well, if you create it all from scratch, it's literally biased against everyone, and the barrier will (almost definitely) be too high. Who wants to learn yet another alphabet? We already have too many (and that's still more glyphs for Unicode to add, perhaps unnecessarily, and that's IF your language gains enough momentum to make them care, which is unlikely).

Simply speaking of momentum, for the present (and recent 100 years), E-o has had much more lasting influence than others in the "fake" language camps. Lojban doesn't seem to have much of a following. That's not a criticism, just saying that borrowing vocabulary from six mainstream (but differing) language groups (Mandarin, English, Hindi, Spanish, Russian, and Arabic) doesn't necessarily mean success either.

Face it, most people still write software in C despite 99 Bottles of Beer listing like 1400 languages! It's not just inertia, it's existing tools, culture, habit, experience, etc.

Quote:

Other wise we aren't really advancing, were just keeping old glue that we have had for ages.

We are not advancing. We are no better in most (or maybe any) way than our ancestors. We have a lot more to learn from them than the other way around.

One obvious (?) answer would be to rejoin all the Romance languages by using Latin instead, but that's unlikely to ever happen. (Besides, like I said, Latin is considered kind of a chore to learn and use.)

Wikipedia wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages

Nowadays the six most widely spoken standardized Romance languages are Spanish/Castilian (about 500 million), Portuguese (about 240 million), French (about 250 million), Italian, Romanian, and Catalan.
Post 10 Jan 2011, 17:53
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
guignol wrote:
Langue d'oïl, including French and Old Norman

Probably thanks to the Norman rulers that England had.

English is a mongrel language that has borrowed from lots of other languages and hence one could argue it gains its expressiveness from that.
Yet, for a global language, it is already the lingua franca, but despite that, it may be hard to express ideas from various cultures in English (I think someone mentioned this before).

It is worth noting that America's spelling differences seem to come from Noah Webster who decided that he should Amercanise things... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster

Also, about the "ise" and "ize" suffixes, the Oxford English Dictionary advocates the use of "ize"; both are common and acceptable in England, with "ise" being more popular I suspect.
The things I can't stand are: colour->color, traveller->traveler, centre->center, analogue->analog...

However, we do distinguish programme and program with different meanings as well as dialogue and dialog (need to check this).

Post 10 Jan 2011, 19:33
guignol

guignol
Raedwulf
color is pure Latin (!) Wink [and not some couleur with which they ended up actually]
center is more appropriate representing English pronunciation, as well as -ue is excessive for it.
But I do hate traveler Very Happy

And yes, there is a recent programing distinction.
Post 10 Jan 2011, 22:45
edfed

edfed
i propose a compromise.

english used in software
french used in poem
arab used in religion
hebrew used in trade
russian used in army
italian used in mafia
and the best:
binary used in justice, guilty or innocent, 0 or 1
Post 10 Jan 2011, 23:30
guignol

guignol
edfed wrote:
binary used in justice, guilty or innocent, 0 or 1
That's exactly presumption of guiltitude, I say.

edfed wrote:
hebrew used in trade
Isn't it already?
edfed wrote:
russian used in army
Deutsch has a perfect barking tone for it already.
edfed wrote:
french used in poem
Do you really think anyone likes French poetry? They lied Razz
edfed wrote:
italian used in mafia
Mafia talks only Sicilian!
edfed wrote:
arab used in religion
What is religion?
Post 11 Jan 2011, 00:14

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3