flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Just make the world 100% English ...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DarkAlchemist



Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 108
DarkAlchemist
Just make the world 100% English then we would no longer need all of these funky chars and Unicode would be dead. Laughing


Last edited by DarkAlchemist on 31 Dec 2010, 03:51; edited 1 time in total
Post 31 Dec 2010, 03:38
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17271
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
DarkAlchemist wrote:
Just make the world 100% English then we would no longer need all of these funky chars and Unicode would be dead.
Perhaps, but which English would that be?
Post 31 Dec 2010, 03:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DarkAlchemist



Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 108
DarkAlchemist
revolution wrote:
DarkAlchemist wrote:
Just make the world 100% English then we would no longer need all of these funky chars and Unicode would be dead.
Perhaps, but which English would that be?
British English as American English is just a bastardized version anyway.
Post 31 Dec 2010, 03:52
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17271
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
There is more than just those two.
Post 31 Dec 2010, 03:55
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DarkAlchemist



Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 108
DarkAlchemist
revolution wrote:
There is more than just those two.
If there are then they are wrong and would not even be considered.

English came from the "Englanders" so anything else would be a derivative from that.

Quote:
English is a West Germanic language that arose in the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of England and spread into what was to become south-east Scotland under the influence of the Anglian medieval kingdom of Northumbria. Following the economic, political, military, scientific, cultural, and colonial influence of Great Britain and the United Kingdom from the 18th century, via the British Empire, and of the United States since the mid-20th century, it has been widely dispersed around the world, become the leading language of international discourse, and has acquired use as lingua franca in many regions. It is widely learned as a second language and used as an official language of the European Union and many Commonwealth countries, as well as in many world organizations.


That is the ONLY English as it is the one true English and, as I said, the others are either bastardized versions or a simple derivative of the true English language.

Wiki continues
Quote:
Historically, English originated from the fusion of languages and dialects, now collectively termed Old English, which were brought to the eastern coast of Great Britain by Germanic (Anglo-Saxon) settlers by the 5th century – with the word English being derived from the name of the Angles.


Not many speak Olde English anymore though.
Post 31 Dec 2010, 05:15
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17271
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
DarkAlchemist wrote:
revolution wrote:
There is more than just those two.
If there are then they are wrong and would not even be considered.
Wrong? Or just different?
DarkAlchemist wrote:
English came from the "Englanders" so anything else would be a derivative from that.
So?
DarkAlchemist wrote:


Quote:
English is a West Germanic language that arose in the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of England and spread into what was to become south-east Scotland under the influence of the Anglian medieval kingdom of Northumbria. Following the economic, political, military, scientific, cultural, and colonial influence of Great Britain and the United Kingdom from the 18th century, via the British Empire, and of the United States since the mid-20th century, it has been widely dispersed around the world, become the leading language of international discourse, and has acquired use as lingua franca in many regions. It is widely learned as a second language and used as an official language of the European Union and many Commonwealth countries, as well as in many world organizations.
Why is history important? And if history is so important why not use the more ancient languages, like Latin? Or perhaps use caveman grunts, that is the only "true" language and everything else is just a derivative. Razz
DarkAlchemist wrote:
That is the ONLY English as it is the one true English and, as I said, the others are either bastardized versions or a simple derivative of the true English language.

Wiki continues
Quote:
Historically, English originated from the fusion of languages and dialects, now collectively termed Old English, which were brought to the eastern coast of Great Britain by Germanic (Anglo-Saxon) settlers by the 5th century – with the word English being derived from the name of the Angles.
Truth about which is "true" is subjective.
DarkAlchemist wrote:
Not many speak Olde English anymore though.
Probably no one. Unless they are enacting some olde play or something.

Anyhow none of that says why English should be the language of choice. Why not a Chinese dialect instead. Isn't Mandarin the most spoken language. We should all use Mandarin. Twisted Evil
Post 31 Dec 2010, 05:37
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JohnFound



Joined: 16 Jun 2003
Posts: 3500
Location: Bulgaria
JohnFound
Hm, why not Bulgarian? This outdated latin alphabet will be cast out. And there will be really few privileged people. Very Happy
Post 31 Dec 2010, 07:15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
shoorick



Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 1605
Location: Ukraine
shoorick
JohnFound
Smile you remind me this funny screen cyrilizator for dos Razz (it is reccomended DN or something like this already run when start this program as i'm not sure if you will be able to do something after it already started Wink

Image


Description:
Download
Filename: SUPERRUS.ZIP
Filesize: 2 KB
Downloaded: 85 Time(s)

Post 31 Dec 2010, 07:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DarkAlchemist



Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 108
DarkAlchemist
revolution wrote:
DarkAlchemist wrote:
revolution wrote:
There is more than just those two.
If there are then they are wrong and would not even be considered.
Wrong? Or just different?
DarkAlchemist wrote:
English came from the "Englanders" so anything else would be a derivative from that.
So?
DarkAlchemist wrote:


Quote:
English is a West Germanic language that arose in the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of England and spread into what was to become south-east Scotland under the influence of the Anglian medieval kingdom of Northumbria. Following the economic, political, military, scientific, cultural, and colonial influence of Great Britain and the United Kingdom from the 18th century, via the British Empire, and of the United States since the mid-20th century, it has been widely dispersed around the world, become the leading language of international discourse, and has acquired use as lingua franca in many regions. It is widely learned as a second language and used as an official language of the European Union and many Commonwealth countries, as well as in many world organizations.
Why is history important? And if history is so important why not use the more ancient languages, like Latin? Or perhaps use caveman grunts, that is the only "true" language and everything else is just a derivative. Razz
DarkAlchemist wrote:
That is the ONLY English as it is the one true English and, as I said, the others are either bastardized versions or a simple derivative of the true English language.

Wiki continues
Quote:
Historically, English originated from the fusion of languages and dialects, now collectively termed Old English, which were brought to the eastern coast of Great Britain by Germanic (Anglo-Saxon) settlers by the 5th century – with the word English being derived from the name of the Angles.
Truth about which is "true" is subjective.
DarkAlchemist wrote:
Not many speak Olde English anymore though.
Probably no one. Unless they are enacting some olde play or something.

Anyhow none of that says why English should be the language of choice. Why not a Chinese dialect instead. Isn't Mandarin the most spoken language. We should all use Mandarin. Twisted Evil


Blah, blah, blah (meaning you are just trying to argue for the sake of arguing) and yes Mandarin is the most spoken language (it better be with ~1.4 billion people in China. Of those there are two main languages but Mandarin is the most used) but we are talking about coding here and English need only take 7 or 8 bits. ANSI all the way.
Post 31 Dec 2010, 08:27
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote
sinsi



Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Posts: 693
Location: Adelaide
sinsi
Coding isn't in english anyway. I'm pretty sure that there isn't 'mov' in the english language (never mind 'pmaddubsw').

Re the russian screen, this (to an Australian English speaker) looks kind of cyrillic to me...

Image
Post 31 Dec 2010, 09:14
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17271
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
DarkAlchemist wrote:
Blah, blah, blah (meaning you are just trying to argue for the sake of arguing) ...
I was just following your lead.
DarkAlchemist wrote:
... and yes Mandarin is the most spoken language (it better be with ~1.4 billion people in China. Of those there are two main languages but Mandarin is the most used) but we are talking about coding here and English need only take 7 or 8 bits. ANSI all the way.
Mandarin using Pinyin! Problem solved. Only needs 8 bit also.

Or maybe we can all use IPA. Support language neutrality.
Post 31 Dec 2010, 09:45
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist


Joined: 16 Jun 2003
Posts: 7721
Location: Kraków, Poland
Tomasz Grysztar
DarkAlchemist wrote:
[...]but we are talking about coding here and English need only take 7 or 8 bits. ANSI all the way.
So you'd like to cut off the cultural heritage of so many nations just so that you would have a little easier time coding text processing routines? I can smell totalitarian approach...
And why not Esperanto? Wink
Post 31 Dec 2010, 11:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17271
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
DarkAlchemist wrote:
British English as American English is just a bastardized version anyway.
DarkAlchemist wrote:
ANSI all the way.
Hmm, methinks you have a flaw in your logic.
Post 31 Dec 2010, 11:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DarkAlchemist



Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 108
DarkAlchemist
revolution wrote:
DarkAlchemist wrote:
British English as American English is just a bastardized version anyway.
DarkAlchemist wrote:
ANSI all the way.
Hmm, methinks you have a flaw in your logic.
ANSI is what it was called to represent the 7 and 8 bit coding of the English alpha numeric symbols which did include the British pound symbol as well as the American dollar symbol.

Just because it was called the American National Standards Institute didn't mean it didn't take into account the important symbols of the real English language.

Remember American English today, spelled out, takes the same amount of bits to represent each character as does the English of England. Color or Colour matters not except the American bastardized, more like lazy, version would take up 1 byte less but each character would still be represented by 7 or 8 bits.
Post 31 Dec 2010, 13:45
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote
DarkAlchemist



Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 108
DarkAlchemist
sinsi wrote:
Coding isn't in english anyway. I'm pretty sure that there isn't 'mov' in the english language (never mind 'pmaddubsw').

Re the russian screen, this (to an Australian English speaker) looks kind of cyrillic to me...

Image
Your point? Seems like you went off on a tangent of nothingness to me or did you not understand the intent of my words?

Your chars are still taking up 7 or 8 bits in your screen shot but how you represent them to the eyes is your problem.
Post 31 Dec 2010, 13:49
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17271
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
It is strange that you use the American spelling of bastardized. Wink
Post 31 Dec 2010, 13:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DarkAlchemist



Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 108
DarkAlchemist
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
DarkAlchemist wrote:
[...]but we are talking about coding here and English need only take 7 or 8 bits. ANSI all the way.
So you'd like to cut off the cultural heritage of so many nations just so that you would have a little easier time coding text processing routines?
Yes.

I am 100% anti unicode and I never ever write using it. C/C++/ASM I always turn it off. If Europe can't use it then no sweat off my you know what. Most things work but sometimes not.
Post 31 Dec 2010, 13:53
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote
DarkAlchemist



Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 108
DarkAlchemist
revolution wrote:
It is strange that you use the American spelling of bastardized. Wink
Because I am an American not a Brit but that doesn't negate the fact that I know how crappy American English is. Lets not even talk about the RAP/Ebonics influence that has been happening over the last 20 years over here.
Post 31 Dec 2010, 13:56
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17271
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
DarkAlchemist wrote:
I am 100% anti unicode and I never ever write using it.
SO WE CAN WRITE LIKE THIS AND YOU CANT READ IT. Cool
Post 31 Dec 2010, 14:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development


Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Posts: 7105
Location: Slovakia
vid
Quote:
I am 100% anti unicode and I never ever write using it.

In other words, you don't know how to write unicode and pretend your lack of skill is an opinion. Problem is, in order to have valid opinion on something, you have to understand it first. Try to code something with unicode support, and then people might start taking your opinion more seriously.

Quote:
C/C++/ASM I always turn it off

What exactly does "turning off unicode" mean in C/C++, and what in Assembly? Smile
Post 31 Dec 2010, 14:16
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Copyright © 1999-2020, Tomasz Grysztar.

Powered by rwasa.