flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > thinking of coding search engine that uses google

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
hi,
i was thinking about coding a search engine that search against the result of google search engine.

(something like dogpile.com) in a sense that it returns the search results by several search engines.

hmm, is that legal? (like using google search result in my result)
Post 26 Dec 2010, 00:40
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I have no idea about legality but there are already oodles of these "search engines" all over the place. I think yours would be just another to add to the mix. Do you have anything special in mind to make yours stand out from the crowd?

I find it annoying when genuine search results from yahoo, google, etc. are littered with these meta-search results from other sites. It just wastes time and serves no real purpose other than to drive traffic to a useless meta-search site.
Post 26 Dec 2010, 00:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
special = aid on searching....
aid in this sense are;
- i will add more search word into your default search term
- i will pick where to search as i seems more fit with your default search term. eg, songs, media, pdf file, ebook.
- i will returned the best 5 of several "multiple aided queries"
- unsolved search term will be search manually as to increase my search engine AI.

after review some google policies, i think, maybe i better off with dmoz.org and wikipedia results.

I find it annoying when genuine search results from yahoo, google, etc. are littered with these meta-search results from other sites. It just wastes time and serves no real purpose other than to drive traffic to a useless meta-search site.

i think, i depend on whats the motive of those meta search engines.... driving traffic or providing more accurate result.
Post 26 Dec 2010, 01:21
revolution

revolution
Returning only five results is way too few. Anything less than 100 on each page is too few.

Consider returning more results, not less. The current robotic searchers are pretty useless at the best of times and restricting the results further only makes it worse.

Even the current best searcher (google) still often requires me to go through up to ten or more pages of 100 results per page before I can find what I need. Any engine that gives just five results seems rather an optimistic goal.
Post 26 Dec 2010, 01:37
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
no, what i mean is, let say i use 10 aids for a term, i will return 10 x 5= 50 results.

ok, i just put it in this way.

let say user want to search about "santa claus".

so, i might prepend this "site:wikipedia.com santa claus"
and return 5 results.

second aid, "site:blogspot.com santa claus"

third aid, "site:facebook.com santa claus"

fourth aid, "site:yahoo.com santa claus"

so, the idea is like above.... just i don't know it is legal to use google search in such a way, gather their result through prepend different search term back to customer.
Post 26 Dec 2010, 04:00
revolution

revolution
Even five results from 100 different search engines is not enough. Many of those five results will overlap and you really only get perhaps one or two (and often zero) new unique results per engine.

Five is too shallow. Sometimes what I need is at entry 1000 in Google, 2500 in Yahoo, 3000 in MSN (or bing, or whatever it is now), non-existent in Wikipedia. So taking only five would never return anything useful in that case.
Post 26 Dec 2010, 04:12
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
i mean 5 or more but from those aided queries...

so, if let say "santa claus"
if i use 50 aids, my search engine will search google bout 50 times, . to bring the customer those 5 or 10 or more from each of those 50 aids...

so, if the user search item is related to assembly programming

so, i will preprend, "site:flatassembler.net", "site:masm.com", "etc assembly programming forum website"... u get the idea?
Post 26 Dec 2010, 05:30

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: