flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > individual personal data, too many GB, how you store them?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
just curious, i know everybody got lots of data, pictures, movie, mp3, source codes, maybe reach TB or a few TB

then how you manage them? where you store them? cloud google?? :p
then how you maintain them?

then how you sync to another laptop or pc or devices temporarily for editing? what middle man devices that you use.
Post 17 Dec 2010, 06:07
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
just curious, i know everybody got lots of data, pictures, movie, mp3, source codes, maybe reach TB or a few TB
For me a few TB.
sleepsleep wrote:
then how you manage them?
Normal folder organisation on a NAS
sleepsleep wrote:
where you store them?
Normal cheapo HDDs (with backups of course (without backups then ... Ugh, I don't want to think about it)).
sleepsleep wrote:
cloud google?? :p
Definitely NOT.
sleepsleep wrote:
What do you mean?
sleepsleep wrote:
then how you sync to another laptop or pc or devices temporarily for editing?
NAS. No need to transfer anything except by normal program usage reading/wrting the files.
sleepsleep wrote:
what middle man devices that you use.
Did I mention NAS?
Post 17 Dec 2010, 06:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tyler

Tyler
I think I know what you mean about maintaining large numbers of files and directories. I have about 160G worth of clutter and I'm putting off "maintaining it" until I run out of space and have to start deleting. Not exact the best way, but it's one way. Smile

revolution wrote:

But if it's not right in front of you, how will you hit the switch for your HDD killing magnet when the FBI/Interpol/Crazy Mad Russian Dudes knock at your door?
Post 17 Dec 2010, 06:52
JohnFound

JohnFound
Recently, I am following the rule:
"If something is lost, and it can't be downloaded again, then you ain't gonna need it."
This rule works surprisingly well and saves me tons of work to manage and backup big archives.
Post 17 Dec 2010, 08:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
TmX

TmX
sleepsleep wrote:

then how you manage them? where you store them? cloud google?? :p

i have several external HDs (about 2 TB, i guess)
i put everything there... and yes it's pretty much a mess

sleepsleep wrote:

then how you sync to another laptop or pc or devices temporarily for editing? what middle man devices that you use.

dropbox or google docs
Post 17 Dec 2010, 09:00
revolution

revolution
Tyler wrote:
But if it's not right in front of you, how will you hit the switch for your HDD killing magnet when the FBI/Interpol/Crazy Mad Russian Dudes knock at your door?
The switch is in my head, it is called a password. If they threaten to cut off my fingers then I give the password to them. If they steal stuff while I am out then they only get my hardware, not the data. And I have backups to put the data back onto the replacement cheapo HDDs.

Did I mention the backups above? I think backups are important. Razz
Post 17 Dec 2010, 09:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
only personnal datas are the datas created by you.

other stuff are not personal at all.

for example, the discography of mozart is not personal datas and can be recovered from any torrent source.
idem for the movies, etc..
then, what are really the critical datas?

in my case: only source codes, fruityloops project files, my pictures, some various inspiration texts, the book i am currently writing...
approximatelly 1 gigabyte.

driver package for this machine, win98 compatible programs and dead source codes are not really personnal, but may be very hard to find on the internet. then, to save too.

an other giga byte

in totality, i think that i need just to save 1 or 2 giga bytes (that is a relativelly huge data base), what is done with usb pens, and multiples copies on many hard drives, the 3 pcs i have have all theses datas saved.

but my case is not the case of everybody, but keeop in mind this question:
what are personnal datas?
Post 17 Dec 2010, 11:59
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
sleepsleep wrote:
i know everybody got lots of data, pictures, movie, mp3, source codes, maybe reach TB or a few TB

Dozens of GB. If I remove the audio/video multimedia, only a few GB. I keep it manically well-organized and regularly clean out the crap I don't really need or some outdated documents.

sleepsleep wrote:
then how you manage them?

Using a two-panes file manager. :p

sleepsleep wrote:
where you store them?

On 1) two, relatively small, internal disks, 2) an external backup disk and 3) in the near future, a second identical backup disk.

sleepsleep wrote:
cloud google?? :p

Are you crazy? I suspect you're only kidding, hence the ":p", but I just had to ask. :p

sleepsleep wrote:

Easily. :p

sleepsleep wrote:
what middle man devices that you use.

Usually my hands, the computer, disks and some cabling. :p

~~~~

Tyler wrote:
revolution wrote:

Vibration sensor- and dead man's switch-triggered Semtex-laced device with an optional remote controlled switch. Why are you asking?

~~~~

edfed wrote:
only personnal datas are the datas created by you.

other stuff are not personal at all.

for example, the discography of mozart is not personal datas and can be recovered from any torrent source.

Of course I get what you mean and it's true it's not technically your personal files, but it sort of becomes personal when it's stored on your digital real estate and you've invested hours, maybe days or even weeks of your time, bandwidth, electric power and storage material, in downloading, storing, organizing and keeping them safe.
Post 17 Dec 2010, 14:18
edfed

edfed
the time to download files is not something like a creative job.

the main storage i remember now is my brain, everything i like is inside.
and i just have to type it under google to refind it (movies and musics only)

for the rest, even things i've made, i can recover it if i spend time to remake it.

for exemple, my comic strip kaya now is a very old history i invented 10 years ago now.

i drew 10 pages of the bigbang part, and i will redo them one day because i remember it all, even if i don't have them.

even the yunat (kaya's brother) adventure is all in my mind, i've made it 15 years ago, and lost it.

that's just an example of what personal datas are; mainly in your brain.

and life time is long, take some of it to recover precious datas is not a waste of time at all, and can lead to a new vision of what you like. something like look back to the past.
Post 17 Dec 2010, 14:52
Alphonso

Alphonso
JohnFound wrote:
Recently, I am following the rule:
"If something is lost, and it can't be downloaded again, then you ain't gonna need it."
This rule works surprisingly well and saves me tons of work to manage and backup big archives.

Normally for me it's "if it has been deleted and there's no backup chances are your going to need it or at least wished you still had it shortly afterwards".
Post 17 Dec 2010, 15:16
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

Of course I get what you mean and it's true it's not technically your personal files, but it sort of becomes personal when it's stored on your digital real estate and you've invested hours, maybe days or even weeks of your time, bandwidth, electric power and storage material, in downloading, storing, organizing and keeping them safe.

this is actually the "BEST" reason why people "FELT" they somehow "PAY" and "COULD" possess those "MEDIA" legally...

Quote:

Are you crazy? I suspect you're only kidding, hence the ":p", but I just had to ask. :p

hmmm, seriously idk if one day i will use it or not, but i think, future is cloud, and nobody could skip Smile

but maybe we will use a more "personal & private" cloud, which is build by user himself, or by several cloud node based on company, or location, or family relationship.... Smile

Quote:

what are personnal datas?

i defined it as those "data" that you wish people to inform you first before they chmod -R +rwx them....

Quote:

i have several external HDs (about 2 TB, i guess)
i put everything there... and yes it's pretty much a mess

i make it more mess by having "double" or "triple" copies of same file and probably different modified date/time... heheheheh :p :p

Quote:

What do you mean?

like versioning, or different updates but same file name,
because maybe sometime we copy some files to pendrive then modified it while during working at office, things like that...

so, how we synchronize them all, make them update everytime after we back home or etc method...
Post 17 Dec 2010, 15:18
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
so, how we synchronize them all, make them update everytime after we back home or etc method...
My NAS is on the 'net. Synchronising is needed only when I am at a customers site with bad networking restrictions (like now, hmmph). When I get back it is just a simple "xcopy c:\* x:\ /s /i /y /d". Takes about two minutes usually. And if c: goes belly up then the backup thumbdrives (plural) will keep the data safe until I get a replacement drive.

Did I mention the backups above? I think backups are important. Oops, looks like I already said that, sorry. Razz
Post 17 Dec 2010, 15:31
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
sleepsleep wrote:
future is cloud, and nobody could skip

I prefer to die
Before clouds cover the Sky
Freedom from Big Spy
Smile
Post 17 Dec 2010, 15:57
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
Quote:

I prefer to die
Freedom from Big Spy

LOL!!!..

but i think the idea, family members CLOUD Smile will work!!! or company CLOUD...

and it makes people more connected... (which could be nice or bad idea) ...
Post 17 Dec 2010, 16:09
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
and it makes people more connected...
At the least it makes people's data more connected to other people. Which may or may not actually connect the people also.

Have you seen the cloud computing thread?
Post 17 Dec 2010, 17:15
Coty

Coty
ManOfSteel wrote:
I prefer to die
Freedom from Big Spy
Smile

Perhaps you will like What Opera says cloud computing does to your computers

It was posted here
Post 17 Dec 2010, 18:32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
thanks for the link and the sudden physical computer TNT into cloud computing video!! :p

btw, revo, i read/reread the cloud computing thread....

so, aren't we all somehow already inside this cloud? eg. this board, we posted our replies into the server, store into somewhere who know where the database located, then we use different devices to read/write.

who know if this board is backup by cron job send to admin mailbox?

we already inside this cloud, it just, the cloud starts to offer MORE to us, by letting us having our album online (picasa web album), blog (blogspot.com), worksheet, spreadsheet, slide presentation (google docs) and whole lots more.

it will works for big companies that got lots of branches, so they can edit documents in real time without the need to "MANUALLY" transfer the file.. they can key in invoices, purchase return, credit note in real time anywhere as long as they are connected, they can check stocks, sent delivery order, purchase order almost instantly.

consider the "COST" for a simple start-up to have such "online software" or "online services", it is expensive and usually out of reach.

and somehow cloud protect the company interest, if let say a worker wanna revenge because the company give shitty bonus.

cloud would definitely useful for business, big business, big and multi-branches companies.

they are targeting individual involvement right now, as far as i could sense...

so maybe sooner or later, we will have a cloud service that (most probably bank will offer this if i predict correctly) customize for individual,

log in, you can see all your bills, installment, view market shares, bank account, driving license renew date, summons, courts order, invoices*,

they tried to do something like this all the time, they call it portal, but imho, only bank will succeed in the end...

so, we flying inside cloud already, cheeerrrrssss :p
Post 17 Dec 2010, 20:48
asmhack

asmhack
You can always encrypt your data before sending it into the clouds.
Post 17 Dec 2010, 23:04
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
more and more digital rubbish coming in.
gonna get cloud dustbin soon, Very Happy

information apocalypse, 2012 dec 21!!
Post 03 Aug 2012, 21:14
revolution

revolution
revolution wrote:
... it is just a simple "xcopy c:\* x:\ /s /i /y /d". Takes about two minutes usually.
I switched to using robocopy. xcopy was beginning to take 4+ minutes so I wanted something faster. robocopy is about an order of magnitude faster and I am back to under 30 seconds for a full update.
Post 21 Dec 2014, 12:36

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: