flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Up in arms

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Alphonso

Alphonso
Post 27 Nov 2010, 06:55
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Most of the ARM stuff is still too closed for general public use. ARM, and the chip makers of ARM, need to open up and let people see what they have to offer. The current culture of NDAs for everything is just too much of a hurdle for most people.
Post 27 Nov 2010, 09:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

YONG
That may not be good news for you, revolution. As you've been very much involved in the development of FASMARM, your true identity may soon get exposed to all of us! Twisted Evil Wink
Post 27 Nov 2010, 10:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
YONG: You don't really believe that "news" do you? Wink It is just standard CEO hot-air. Meanwhile back in the real world ...
YONG wrote:
As you've been very much involved in the development of FASMARM, ...
"very much involved"? That is like saying Neil Armstrong was "very much involved" with being the first man to walk on the Moon. Which strangely leads into the Intel StrongARM CPU. funny how things go around like that.
Post 27 Nov 2010, 11:47
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
revolution wrote:
It is just standard CEO hot-air.

Indeed.
Post 27 Nov 2010, 16:34
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
YONG wrote:
As you've been very much involved in the development of FASMARM, ...
"very much involved"? That is like saying Neil Armstrong was "very much involved" with being the first man to walk on the Moon.
Oops, I thought that you would once again deny your intimate connection (or at least keep a low profile about your direct involvement) with FASMARM by throwing at us some old jokes like "I don't know how to walk with my ARMs!" Hehe ... we're getting closer and closer to your true identity - you can no longer pretend to be a teenage girl! Twisted Evil Wink
Post 28 Nov 2010, 03:26
revolution

revolution
Hehe, a "teenage girl"? I thought only tom tobias likes to infer I am a teenager.

But back on topic. Even Intel could not kill their own x86 stuff with the Itanium. So how could ARM possibly do it with a product that doesn't even target the same market? x86 code is too deeply entrenched to be ousted so easily.
Post 28 Nov 2010, 03:48
Alphonso

Alphonso
revolution wrote:
Most of the ARM stuff is still too closed for general public use. ARM, and the chip makers of ARM, need to open up and let people see what they have to offer. The current culture of NDAs for everything is just too much of a hurdle for most people.

Maybe that will change when/if ARM CPUs hit the desktop.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/nvidia-announces-project-denver-arm-cpu-for-the-desktop/
Post 06 Jan 2011, 01:48
revolution

revolution
Alphonso wrote:
Maybe that will change when/if ARM CPUs hit the desktop.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/nvidia-announces-project-denver-arm-cpu-for-the-desktop/
Don't hold your breath waiting for that.Sad
Post 12 Jan 2011, 07:57
Tyler

Tyler
revolution: Why did you make FASMARM? I don't think I've ever read any positive opinion about ARM from you.

EDIT: any admin: This post shouldn't go here... move it, if you see fit.
Post 12 Jan 2011, 08:18
revolution

revolution
Tyler wrote:
revolution: Why did you make FASMARM? I don't think I've ever read any positive opinion about ARM from you.
ARM (the company) is mostly closed, I like to criticise that. ARM (the CPU architecture) is well designed, I like to support that.

My criticism of ARM (the company) is intended to point out that anyone wanting to get involved with anything related to ARM will have to be prepared to jump through some hoops before getting anything done. I think it is best to be fully informed about the potential problems one may encounter. My criticism is not intended to say ARM stuff is bad, just that the in-depth knowledge is hard to procure.

In contrast, Intel (the company) is open, I have no criticisms of that. X86 (the CPU architecture) is crap, I like to criticise that.

In my rose tinted glasses fantasy world Intel would buy ARM and make everything public. But in my clear plastic lens real world I know that will never happen. Sigh, we just have to find ways to "encourage" ARM to be more open.

These are merely my opinions and experiences.

Also, criticism of something usually means someone cares enough to want it to be better. If I truly didn't care about ARM I would never even bother to criticise it. I criticise it in the hope that someone at ARM will take notice and decide to change things for the better.
Post 12 Jan 2011, 09:00
guignol

guignol
It's all one single joint, should you know, guys.
Post 12 Jan 2011, 16:11
edfed

edfed
i'd like something in intel:

direct video and audio outputs on the chip itself, with onboard memory for direct screen and double buffering, and for audio, a set of buffers to direct analog output, or at leat, very high speed PWM output, and a very fast ADC input.

then, very very fast vesa, then, no need of any drivers, because just write RGB of any pixel in the double buffer, refresh, and it will be ok.

that's the only thing really needed in HW, a fast and easy way to display and speak.
Post 12 Jan 2011, 16:26
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
edfed: Doesn't (some) Intel boards already have all of that? They still have VGA ports, they do have Vesa (although I am not sure if they support anything later than 1.2)...
Post 13 Jan 2011, 09:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
VESA 1.2 is pretty old, I'd be surprised if most didn't support at least 2.0 (which they do, in my limited experience).
Post 20 Jan 2011, 00:33
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I know my DG33BU firmware only supported 1.2 (=no LFB). Too bad I forgot to check with my newer DG45something board.
Post 20 Jan 2011, 15:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
edfed wrote:
i'd like something in intel:

direct video and audio outputs on the chip itself, with onboard memory for direct screen and double buffering, and for audio, a set of buffers to direct analog output, or at leat, very high speed PWM output, and a very fast ADC input.

then, very very fast vesa, then, no need of any drivers, because just write RGB of any pixel in the double buffer, refresh, and it will be ok.

that's the only thing really needed in HW, a fast and easy way to display and speak.
Most of the latest ARM SOCs have this kind of stuff already. With the small and efficient CPU core it is sometimes surprising to realise just what else can actually be squeezed into a small piece of silicon.
Post 21 Jan 2011, 12:56

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: