flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Just wondering, what's the point of Chrome OS?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tyler

Tyler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANMrzw7JFzA

So, I watched the video, and the one question I had at the end was, why did they need a whole new OS for that? To me, it seems as if they could have just wrote a WM for Linux that is tightly integrated with Chrome(browser), and a daemon to keep local data synced to the cloud. I just don't get the point. Can anyone come up with an excuse for Google to waste so much time?
Post 26 Nov 2010, 05:13
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Probably just part of the whole Google domination thing. The more Google stuff you have then the less of other people's stuff you have. And the less of other people's stuff you have then the more money Google can make by tracking you in everything you do on the computer.

So, as far as Google is concerned, it is definitely not a waste of time. If it is successful and accepted by the populace then Google will stand to make billions.
Post 26 Nov 2010, 05:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tyler

Tyler
They could do that with a modified Linux.
Post 26 Nov 2010, 06:18
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
But then it is not all Google.
Post 26 Nov 2010, 06:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
I'm not on the whole domination bandwagon. I see real progress being made on several fronts which can be easily disconnected from the multi-global corporate thing Google has become.

Why did Apple need to create their own OS?

I thought ChromeOS was a trimmed down Linux kernel?

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/software-architecture
Post 26 Nov 2010, 07:07
Coty

Coty
Chome does have linux under its hood, the way I see it, It is just cromium browser slightly modified, and launched instead of your typical GUI.... Wasn't even the browser even originally built off of fire fox?

I think Chrome OS is a great idea, it could be put on a ROM on the mobo, and could be slecected to boot instead of windows/linux/hackintosh. Great for if you need to check your E-Mail right then before you left the hotel or whatever.
Post 26 Nov 2010, 13:35
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i think a chrome OS is quite cool for people..... they need a different name to hide the linux probably.

and sooner or later, maybe google will replace the kernel with its own...
Post 26 Nov 2010, 16:00

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: