flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > edfed, USB powered motor to be control through netbook

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i couldn't find that thread....

but am interested to build this USB powered motor, so the netbook sits on top of the powered motor then we can control this motor through wireless,,, how bout we start discuss and build it?
Post 21 Nov 2010, 23:09
edfed

edfed
to do so, you need first a USB MCU to communicate with the computer.
after, the rest is just devellopment.

if you have another port, it can be interresting to use it, for example, a parralel port is ideal for electronics DIY on computers. the best then would be to find a USB to paralel adapter, then, you will be able to do very simple electronics controled by the computer.
but if you still have a MCU for USB communication, it is better, you will have a better thing with a lot more I/O ports, and faster.

then, ones you have your 2 bits to control the motor, bit 0 = ON/OFF, bit 1= clockwise/anticlockwize, you can start to play with the motor.

on the parralel port, there are Inputs, outputs, and bidirectional lines.
you can use outputs to control the motor, and inputs to return the position or something else.

for this, you need power, and transistors.

the motor can be a normal DC model, then, it will simplify the design.

you need a bridge to control the motor in both polarities.
a bridge is composed of two amplifiers in oposition.when one goes high, the other goes low.

the signal to pilot this bridge is simple, it is the bit1 (clockwize/anticlockwize), and the signal thats activate this bridge is bit0 (ON/OFF)
then, you can use bit3 as a stop, when the rotation is complete, it switches a little contact, and it is ok, the computer (or the electronics) will stop the motor.

you need also a motoreducer because a DC motor rotates at thousands of RPM, and you need a very slow rotation, something like 1 RPM.

then, i let you imgine a way to rotate the platform with the less components you can.

for all term you don't understand, use google.

for the realisation, let me know if you need electronic schematics.
Post 22 Nov 2010, 04:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
luke77

luke77
edfed wrote:
to do so, you need first a USB MCU to communicate with the computer.
after, the rest is just devellopment.

if you have another port, it can be interresting to use it, for example, a parralel port is ideal for electronics DIY on computers. the best then would be to find a USB to paralel adapter, then, you will be able to do very simple electronics controled by the computer.
but if you still have a MCU for USB communication, it is better, you will have a better thing with a lot more I/O ports, and faster.

then, ones you have your 2 bits to control the motor, bit 0 = ON/OFF, bit 1= clockwise/anticlockwize, you can start to play with the motor.

on the parralel port, there are Inputs, outputs, and bidirectional lines.
you can use outputs to control the motor, and inputs to return the position or something else.

for this, you need power, and transistors.

the motor can be a normal DC model, then, it will simplify the design.

you need a bridge to control the motor in both polarities.
a bridge is composed of two amplifiers in oposition.when one goes high, the other goes low.

the signal to pilot this bridge is simple, it is the bit1 (clockwize/anticlockwize), and the signal thats activate this bridge is bit0 (ON/OFF)
then, you can use bit3 as a stop, when the rotation is complete, it switches a little contact, and it is ok, the computer (or the electronics) will stop the motor.

you need also a motoreducer because a DC motor rotates at thousands of RPM, and you need a very slow rotation, something like 1 RPM.

then, i let you imgine a way to rotate the platform with the less components you can.

for all term you don't understand, use google.

for the realisation, let me know if you need electronic schematics.

I am definitely interested in the schematics.

Electronics is a hobby of mine.

Andy
Post 23 Nov 2010, 11:34
Octavio

Octavio
I have a usb board for learning that can also be used to control motors from small dc motors to 3 phase power motors (with external suply and power mosfets) ,i also have the software to control the mcu from the host computer and transfer data via usb.But the software only runs in octaos.I use the atmega16u4 microcontroller,this chip suports the device firmware upgrade protocol so there is no need for a especial programmer. [/img]

Description:
Filesize: 261.48 KB
Viewed: 1694 Time(s)

IMGP0752.JPG

Description:
Filesize: 324.54 KB
Viewed: 1695 Time(s)

IMGP0751.JPG

Post 23 Nov 2010, 16:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: