flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Reflection properties of a mirror?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist
I wonder if anyone knows if we reflect the sun via a mirror are there any pieces of the spectrum that are not reflected?
Post 12 Nov 2010, 18:04
mindcooler

mindcooler
I reckon the reflectivity attenuates with higher frequencies, but what do I know? Smile
Post 12 Nov 2010, 19:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
MHajduk

MHajduk
mindcooler wrote:
I reckon the reflectivity attenuates with higher frequencies, but what do I know? Smile
It's a well known fact that the window glass absorbs UV light (so you can't tan sunbathing through the closed window Wink), but, from the other hand, special kinds of glass (like a quartz glass) are transparent for UV and used in UV lamps. So, the answer to the DarkAlchemist's question is "yes" if the mirror is made on the base of the "usual" glass. Smile
Post 12 Nov 2010, 20:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist
Does anyone know which frequencies are attenuated using both types of glass? I figure it would be in a notch filter fashion but what about those mirrors used in reflecting telescopes?
Post 13 Nov 2010, 08:57
JohnFound

JohnFound
In the telescope mirrors, the glass is behind the reflective layer (usually Al) and have nothing to do with the reflection.
Post 13 Nov 2010, 09:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Yeah, they are called First (or Primary) Surface Mirrors - the glass or other backing material is not involved in reflection/refraction.

8.6 Principles of Reflection and Refraction
(Spectrum graph further down page - notice how Al works well at high frequencies.)
Post 14 Nov 2010, 04:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist
A lot of the pictures are missing for me on that page. Sad

JohnFound wrote:
In the telescope mirrors, the glass is behind the reflective layer (usually Al) and have nothing to do with the reflection.
This would explain why they have to be resurfaced about every 5 years under normal, non vacuum, usage.

On a standard glass in front of the reflective material (common household mirror for instance) are any of the sun's frequencies attenuated at all?
Post 14 Nov 2010, 12:46

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: