flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > "Dirty Dozens" apps list

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
lemask

lemask
The following is an excerpt from net-security.org:

The “Dirty Dozen” list ranks applications by the number of reported “high severity” vulnerabilities that impacted end users during 2010, and includes the following:

1. Google Chrome (76 reported vulnerabilities)
2. Apple Safari (60)
3. Microsoft Office (57)
4. Adobe Reader and Acrobat (54)
5. Mozilla Firefox (51)
6. Sun Java Development Kit (36)
7. Adobe Shockwave Player (35)
8. Microsoft Internet Explorer (32)
9. RealNetworks RealPlayer (14)
10. Apple WebKit (9)
11. Adobe Flash Player (8)
12. Apple QuickTime (6) and Opera (6) - TIE

... so Google definitely is NOT your friend! ;)
Post 24 Nov 2010, 13:45
edfed

edfed
applications that lags... Sad
winamp 5
foxit
audacity
gimp 1.2
fruity loops 5
ie5, ie6, ie7, ie8 and ie9
Post 24 Nov 2010, 13:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
lemask wrote:
8. Microsoft Internet Explorer (32)
Which version(s)?
lemask wrote:
... so Google definitely is NOT your friend! Wink
The very most you could say from that data is that Google Chrome is not your friend.
Post 24 Nov 2010, 13:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
asmhack

asmhack
programmer is not your friend
Post 24 Nov 2010, 14:03
JohnFound

JohnFound
Well, from this dozen, I use only Firefox and I am searching good replacement. Smile

Here are selected by me replacements:
Instead adobe reader - SumatraPDF
VLC player - for flash video and any other media formats.
Instead of MS Office - Open office (actually I don't like it, but there is no better alternative.)
Post 24 Nov 2010, 14:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
lemask

lemask
Haha, i knew revolution would defend Google!

About the versions: i don't know, probably it's a cross-sum through all versions...

@JohnFound: what applications do you need from OpenOffice? I can recommend to write text-documents with TEX and to do graphics with Inkscape.
Post 24 Nov 2010, 14:35
revolution

revolution
Yeah, replacements are nice and all, but let's hope that these replacements don't start to become too popular.

I think that real reasons for a high number of exploits is two things: 1) New code that is complex [Google Chrome is a clear example of this] and 2) popularity [Adobe is an good example of this].

Once something starts to become mainstream and popular then along come the exploits following soon after. It makes no sense to bother spending time attacking a program that has <0.01% penetration when there are much bugger fish out there to catch with something that has >20% penetration.
Post 24 Nov 2010, 14:37
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
for pdf, am using stdutility which is free and available from http://www.stdutility.com

MS office = open office or kingsoft office, u gonna try that john,,, 1 year trial key available for free.
Post 24 Nov 2010, 14:43
revolution

revolution
lemask wrote:
Haha, i knew revolution would defend Google!
I'm glad you got a laugh out of it. It sure is amusing to me how people like to read within simple statements and stretch them beyond their intent. Laughing

However for the record: I do like Google for it's search engine; but nothing else. I certainly don't trust Google enough to allow them to place cookies on my system to track me.

Google for searching: It is great.
Google for anything else (mail, chat, browser, whatever else they have): Stay far away.
Post 24 Nov 2010, 14:45
JohnFound

JohnFound
[quote=lemask][/quote]

Actually I need only spreadsheet and vector drawing program. Unfortunately, I don't like Inkskape. Well, I don't like OODraw as well, but as I said, there is no decent free alternative. Despite these programs are super-overbloated, they are slow, buggy and misses important features. Very Happy
Mechanical CAD systems, that will do the job for me, as a rule have weird user interface, that I can stand only for 5..6minutes. Very Happy
Post 24 Nov 2010, 14:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
i think about one funny thing

really funny.

a PCI program, in other words, a PCI extension card, with the HW and the program inside, using a simple API to tell the OS what is done, or know what to do.

a wired browser? inside the lan ROM?

a PCI board with CPU, RAM, ROM, and a program inside... completelley independnt from X86. but with n open source API.
Post 24 Nov 2010, 15:05
lemask

lemask
@revolution: you're right, i "stretched" your statement beyond it's intent. Please take my excuse for that. Anyway i share your view on Google and it's products!
Post 24 Nov 2010, 15:44
JohnFound

JohnFound
Use scroogle.org instead google. It will never track your activity. Smile
Post 24 Nov 2010, 16:20
Coty

Coty
Quote:
... so Google definitely is NOT your friend! Wink

I'm still going to use google chrome, its faster than most other modern browsers...

JohnFound wrote:
Use scroogle.org instead google. It will never track your activity. Smile

Oh! I like it! I was begining to think google was getting slow because of there instant search and fancy page previews any way.
Post 24 Nov 2010, 17:02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist
I don't care if it tracks my activity or not though I do use FF and have the google stuff blocked via noscript.

Gmail (Google mail) is the best email provider I have ever had. Been using it for about 5 years but would I trust them? Hell no and their political side sucks imo.

I tried Chrome when it first came out, Safari too, and ugh they sucked though I think Chrome would have been lower on that list if we could use the plugins I use in FF. What I really am pissed about with Google is their way of trying to force us to ditch FF via force.
Post 24 Nov 2010, 19:54
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Using development version of Chrome as my default. It's getting better all the time. Currently, have about 40 tabs open - some have been open for 30+ days.

Trusted software is an oxymoron.
(I trust FASM, though.)

Especially, when politics get involved.
Post 25 Nov 2010, 01:03

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: