flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > LimeWire

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Yardman



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Posts: 245
Location: US
Yardman
[ Post removed by author. ]


Last edited by Yardman on 04 Apr 2012, 03:55; edited 1 time in total
Post 26 Oct 2010, 23:01
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
luke77



Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 18
luke77
File sharing software is theft.

Andy

"Thou shalt not steal." (Exodus 20:15 KJV)
Post 27 Oct 2010, 02:18
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17340
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
Theft: The action of taking something that belongs to someone else without their permission so that they no longer have it.

File sharing: The action of copying something from someone else that they offer freely.

Erm, looks different to me.
Post 27 Oct 2010, 03:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
guignol



Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Posts: 720
guignol
rev wrote:
File sharing: The action of copying something from someone else that they offer freely.
Me neither remembereth not of anyone actually being forced to profit.

luke77 wrote:
(Exodus 20:15 KJV)
Grow up, will ya?
That was writ for little jawish creatures.
Post 27 Oct 2010, 07:39
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
guignol



Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Posts: 720
guignol
theft wrote:
the dishonest taking of property belonging to another person with the intention of depriving the owner permanently of its possession

Ok...
Now, I have these chocolate sweets (I love sweets), which I bought from that Switzer, and I have this machine, which can copy any matter to the final boson; in fact, I can't actually remember which sweet I have right now (anytime I want my favourite treat, I use the machine to copy it from the one already in possession)...
So, here is the question: does any of this make the Switzer a poor sod?
Post 27 Oct 2010, 07:54
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
guignol



Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Posts: 720
guignol
P.S. And forget about LameWire..d'uh!
Post 27 Oct 2010, 07:56
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17340
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
guignol wrote:
Ok...
Now, I have these chocolate sweets (I love sweets), which I bought from that Switzer, and I have this machine, which can copy any matter to the final boson; in fact, I can't actually remember which sweet I have right now (anytime I want my favourite treat, I use the machine to copy it from the one already in possession)...
So, here is the question: does any of this make the Switzer a poor sod?
A far more poignant question is: If you have a matter copying machine why are you wasting time with only copying chocolate sweets? Exclamation
Post 27 Oct 2010, 08:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tyler



Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Posts: 1216
Location: NC, USA
Tyler
Moar revolutions pls!!!
Post 27 Oct 2010, 09:09
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17340
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
Tyler wrote:
Moar revolutions pls!!!
Like the French one?
Post 27 Oct 2010, 09:16
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel



Joined: 02 Feb 2005
Posts: 1154
ManOfSteel
Yardman wrote:
I doubt that any of the fine members here would use this software for illegal purposes

LimeWire? Ew! Of course no one here has ever used this software for "illegal" purposes. Who do you think we are? Rolling Eyes

~~~~

luke77 wrote:
File sharing software is theft.

You know there are artists who share their music this way and FOSS development companies and organizations that use these methods to alleviate the stress on their servers, right?
Post 27 Oct 2010, 09:44
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Tyler



Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Posts: 1216
Location: NC, USA
Tyler
revolution wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Moar revolutions pls!!!
Like the French one?
No, "revolution" as in you. So we can sell an army of revolutions, vids, and [there's too many to list] to M$ and then maybe they'll have less reason to be the top googler of "x86 assembly". Smile And the profit would'nt hurt either...

MoS wrote:
You know there are artists who share their music this way and FOSS development companies and organizations that use these methods to alleviate the stress on their servers, right?
Really? My guess would be that anyone with a clue would've moved on to BT by now. Isn't BT better for that use b/c it doesn't require servers, like Gnutella does(according to the articles linked by OP), and would allow the original distributor to stop serving after the torrent is well propagated.
Post 27 Oct 2010, 09:59
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17340
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
Tyler wrote:
So we can sell an army of revolutions, vids, and [there's too many to list] to M$ ...
M$? Ew! I would never work for them.

Unless of course they offer some fabulous salary and benefits and stuff.

Whadda ya mean I'm a sellout? Everyone has their price.
Post 27 Oct 2010, 10:05
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
luke77



Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 18
luke77
ManOfSteel wrote:
Yardman wrote:
I doubt that any of the fine members here would use this software for illegal purposes

LimeWire? Ew! Of course no one here has ever used this software for "illegal" purposes. Who do you think we are? Rolling Eyes

~~~~

luke77 wrote:
File sharing software is theft.

You know there are artists who share their music this way and FOSS development companies and organizations that use these methods to alleviate the stress on their servers, right?


Can these artists share things via website, email, etc. ?

What do you mean by "alleviating stress on their servers." ?

Andy
Post 27 Oct 2010, 11:34
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ManOfSteel



Joined: 02 Feb 2005
Posts: 1154
ManOfSteel
Tyler wrote:
Really? My guess would be that anyone with a clue would've moved on to BT by now. Isn't BT better for that use b/c it doesn't require servers, like Gnutella does(according to the articles linked by OP), and would allow the original distributor to stop serving after the torrent is well propagated.

Andy was talking about "file sharing" in general so I think he meant both the old school P2P à la LimeWire as well as BT.


~~~~


luke77 wrote:
Can these artists share things via website, email, etc. ?

Some have last.fm and myspace accounts, some have small webpages and share their music using torrents.

luke77 wrote:
What do you mean by "alleviating stress on their servers." ?

Imagine FreeBSD, a system far less popular than the average GNU/Linux distro. Well, if you check the BT tracker, you can notice multi-terabyte transfers. Now imagine all those TBs passing through the main FTP servers. Even though the project has mirrors in many countries, the servers would still be saturated.
Post 27 Oct 2010, 14:00
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ManOfSteel



Joined: 02 Feb 2005
Posts: 1154
ManOfSteel
God bless America and its COICA!

Good days are ahead...







.
Post 27 Oct 2010, 22:44
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DarkAlchemist



Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 108
DarkAlchemist
Not just this country doing stuff like this because "The Man" honestly fears the free flow of information which the internet does provide.
Post 28 Oct 2010, 01:12
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote
bitRAKE



Joined: 21 Jul 2003
Posts: 2914
Location: [RSP+8*5]
bitRAKE
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper [(candle)] at mine, receives light without darkening me.

That ideas should freely spread from one to another over the globe, for the moral and mutual instruction of man, and improvement of his condition, seems to have been peculiarly and benevolently designed by nature, when she made them, like fire, expansible over all space, without lessening their density in any point, and like the air in which we breathe, move, and have our physical being, incapable of confinement or exclusive appropriation.

-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Isaac McPherson, 13 August 1813
Post 28 Oct 2010, 05:00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
luke77



Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 18
luke77
ManOfSteel wrote:
God bless America and its COICA!

Good days are ahead...


.


Thanks for the info.

On September 30, 2010, the EFF posted an update to their Deeplinks Blog, announcing that the hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee had been delayed until after the 2010 Midterm Elections.[13]

I hope it does pass.

Andy
Post 28 Oct 2010, 11:20
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
guignol



Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Posts: 720
guignol
Gee! rednecks have hopes - who would have thought?
Post 28 Oct 2010, 15:04
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

Jump to:  


< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Copyright © 1999-2020, Tomasz Grysztar. Also on YouTube, Twitter.

Website powered by rwasa.