flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > English & Geenglish...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
MHajduk

MHajduk
shoorick wrote:
yeah... btw, we have (an already old) proverb here: optimistic men study English, pessimistic men study Chinese, realistic men study machine gun of Kalashnikov Smile
Well, seems that I have a little from each of them... Razz
Post 21 Sep 2010, 11:45
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MHajduk

MHajduk
revolution wrote:
But if it can do two things at one time then even better. If it can convey the meaning and also make the reader laugh then, to me, that seems to be a pretty good outcome.
Hehe, perfect excuse, indeed. Very Happy
Post 21 Sep 2010, 11:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I notice that google translator will only copy the capital letters in some of the languages. Sad
Post 21 Sep 2010, 11:52
MHajduk

MHajduk
revolution wrote:
I notice that google translator will only copy the capital letters in some of the languages. Sad
Interesting, could you provide us some example of such behavior? Smile
Post 21 Sep 2010, 11:54
guignol

guignol
Machine translation sucks, but the problem is actually not with machines, it's with people, who like to call themselves "professional linguists" and who are not keen enough to understand that it is inevitable that machines will eventually translate at least "fairly well" some day, thus they hardly participate in development.
In fact, translators lot, through out society history, always hampered inter-ethnic relationship development in terms of language. Easy money is kinda tempting.
Post 21 Sep 2010, 12:12
revolution

revolution
MHajduk wrote:
revolution wrote:
Interesting, could you provide us some example of such behavior? Smile
English: "THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG"

Polish: "Szybki brązowy lis przeskoczył nad leniwym psem"

Swedish: "Den snabba bruna räven hoppar över LATMASK"

Spanish: "El veloz murciélago FOX sobre el perro perezoso"

French: "Les sauts QUICK BROWN FOX sur le chien paresseux"

Welsh: "Y neidio FOX BROWN CYFLYM DROS Y CI diog"
Post 21 Sep 2010, 12:31
MHajduk

MHajduk
guignol wrote:
Machine translation sucks, but the problem is actually not with machines, it's with people, who like to call themselves "professional linguists" and who are not keen enough to understand that it is inevitable that machines will eventually translate at least "fairly well" some day, thus they hardly participate in development.
In fact, translators lot, through out society history, always hampered inter-ethnic relationship development in terms of language. Easy money is kinda tempting.
I agree, but the money isn't the most important question in this case IMO. Hypothetical ideal translator should understand the meaning of the translated sentences - without that sometimes we will get some "monsters" as a result. Wink To accomplish such task programmers should build advanced systems of Artificial Intelligence first. I hope they'll never do that, because, in fact, I don't like computers... Razz (Yeah, my real, say "ultimate", goal is to live among another human beings, not to stuck in some kind of virtual reality created by various gadgets. Wink) I use them only as a kind of the "window" through which I can communicate with other people living in distant places. Besides, Google translator won't help when you will be walking along the dark street and have to face the danger directly. Wink In such situations proper verbal communication (your understanding of the slang and voice intonation), gestures and mimics may save your life.
Post 21 Sep 2010, 13:24
Fanael

Fanael
MHajduk wrote:
Fanael wrote:
shoorick wrote:
To dlaczego taki mądry Pan nie może znaleźć Sobie więcej korzystnej sprawy niż nabrzydnać mi? Czy może zbyt mądry, czy nie istnieje takej sprawy żeby uporał się, czy może to jest tylko chora uciecha?
What on Earth...?
Seems that some corrections are needed anyway:

"Dlaczego taki mądry człowiek nie może znaleźć sobie lepszego zajęcia, zamiast mi dokuczać / przeszkadzać / szkodzić? Istnieją trzy możliwości:
albo jest zbyt mądry, albo nie ma takiego tematu, z którym mógłby się uporać (sobie poradzić), albo jest to dla niego pewien rodzaj niezdrowej zabawy / rozrywki." Wink
Now I understand Wink Apparently I can't cope with incorrect Polish as good as you do Wink
Post 21 Sep 2010, 13:31
MHajduk

MHajduk
revolution wrote:
English: "THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG"

Polish: "Szybki brązowy lis przeskoczył nad leniwym psem"
This translation is almost ideal, but in my humble opinion this will be better:

"Chyży (śmigły, szybki, prędki) brązowy lis skacze ponad leniwym psem."

("jumps" -> "skacze", "jumped" -> "skoczył"). Wink
Post 21 Sep 2010, 13:32
revolution

revolution
MHajduk wrote:
This translation is almost ideal, but ...
But I wanted capital letters. The translator discarded the capitals. Sad

So ... HOW CAN I SHOUT AT PEOPLE IN OTHER LANGUAGES? Razz

Last edited by revolution on 21 Sep 2010, 13:39; edited 2 times in total
Post 21 Sep 2010, 13:38
MHajduk

MHajduk
Fanael wrote:
Now I understand Wink Apparently I can't cope with incorrect Polish as good as you do Wink
Hehe, I've learned how to solve such "rebuses" reading shoorick's letters written in Polish. Wink
Post 21 Sep 2010, 13:38
MHajduk

MHajduk
revolution wrote:
MHajduk wrote:
This translation is almost ideal, but ...
But I wanted capital letters. The translator discarded the capitals. Sad

So ... HOW CAN I SHOUT AT PEOPLE IN OTHER LANGUAGES? Razz
DO NOT TRY TO SHOUT AT PEOPLE IN THE PUBLIC PLACES!!!! Wink Laughing

We all are shy and quiet people. Wink
Post 21 Sep 2010, 13:44
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Spanish: "El veloz zorro marrón salta sobre el perro perezoso." Oh, yes, definitively quite near of what Google gives Rolling Eyes

Putting FOX all lowercase helps a bit, but I don't understand why it insists in considering brown as bat (the animal), instead of the color.
Post 21 Sep 2010, 14:17
guignol

guignol
MHajduk wrote:
Besides, Google translator won't help when you will be walking along the dark street and have to face the danger directly. Wink In such situations proper verbal communication (your understanding of the slang and voice intonation), gestures and mimics may save your life.
Right... Comes an Arab to you at 3 o'clock in the morning asking his way to pharmacy and you can't answer him a dicky bird.Shocked
Though I thought gadgets have light-up these days. Rolling Eyes

But if you mean something else, then one swift and sharp move saves it all: your life, your time, your very effort. "Just do it!" Wink
Post 21 Sep 2010, 14:23
guignol

guignol
Well, dudes, there is kind of a solution: you can "contribute better translation", but must not you forget that there still are "professional linguists" who can do samely (that is put better translations to support their lot); thus it comes to a question of number.
But, also, it is so that "applying" of new translations doesn't only rely on the number of contributors.

Anyway, if rev would poke his Google connections we could actually find out something about how they really want their Translation to work.
Post 21 Sep 2010, 14:44
revolution

revolution
guignol wrote:
Anyway, if rev would poke his Google connections we could actually find out something about how they really want their Translation to work.
Well as it turns out I do actually know someone working on translations within Google (guignol: how did you know?). But that connection is for Japanese. And all I know is that they are working really hard to get it better. But I somehow doubt it can ever be as good as a human translator.
Post 21 Sep 2010, 14:52
ass0

ass0
English: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
ass0's Spanish: El piola café le hace el amague al sabueso malaganudo.

Assembly'sMad, Google just translates the Mexican hero "El Zorro" with the American counterpart "Batman" xD.

Post 21 Sep 2010, 15:31
revolution

revolution
ass0 wrote:
ass0's Spanish: El piola café le hace el amague al sabueso malaganudo.
Google's English: "The brown lanyard makes the hound malaganudo Amager"
Post 21 Sep 2010, 15:35
ass0

ass0
ass0's English: Da brown krafty mayx a feint to d'loafer hound.

Post 21 Sep 2010, 18:06
shoorick

shoorick
лошадь - это не лoшaдь!
Post 23 Sep 2010, 10:57

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: