flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Fractal Viewers

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tyler

Tyler
What's the best GUI fractal app? I've tried Fractint, it's too complicated for someone who doesn't understand fractals.

revolution will say:
What do you mean by "best"?

Tyler will respond:
I don't want to have to have a deep understanding of how fractals work before I can look at them. I basically want something that will zoom infinitely, and will update as it zooms, that's about all I ask... I've also tried Xaos, but it only zooms to a certain extent, then all the edges get smooth.
Post 15 Sep 2010, 03:00
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Infinite zoom is really hard (i.e. impossible) to do because the precision required will reach your memory limits (and your patience limit waiting for it to compute). Super high zoom fractals take a long time to compute.

Being ignorant of the way fractals are computed will only make you frustrated by not understanding why there is no app that will do what you want. It is always best to understand the reasons, then you will know why no one has made such an app.
Post 15 Sep 2010, 03:29
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tyler

Tyler
I'm okay with reaching the limits of my hardware(both in memory, and computation time), I just don't see the point of stopping before that. Wouldn't it make more sense to leave it up to the user to decide when a calculation takes too long, assuming the user would actually get to that point before either running out of memory or getting bored, and that they should either stop zooming or zoom out?

I can't think of the name right now, but there's an app for linux that seems to do this. It never got smooth or really slow, that is, until I turned the iterations up to 1000 Smile. I was wondering if anyone has seen one that does the same, but runs on Windows.(I lost linux, that app, and a lot of other crap when my hdd crashed. Otherwise I'd just use it.)
Post 15 Sep 2010, 04:00
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I think it would be an interesting thing to write in assembly. Since they are fractals then the mathematics will be simple. It would only come down to two things to solve.

1) arbitrary precision compute engine, and
2) GUI display colours and controls.

But those two things are the easy part, the really hard part is knowing what areas to zoom to. If it takes one month to compute a single image then the user had better hope the area selected generates a nice picture else that month is wasted effort.
Post 15 Sep 2010, 13:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tyler

Tyler
Yeah... I won't be coding any fractal viewer, but since you think it'd be fun, I guess you could. But if I did, I'd do it in C and use gmp for the math.

Usually the spirals are the best areas to zoom into, IMO.
Post 15 Sep 2010, 20:47
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
There are whole web sites devoted to just this topic: http://www.hpdz.net/
(Check the Links section for viewers.)

My first program with a UI was a fractal viewer (1988, 68000 assembly). Using GMP on the back end is a good idea (assembly mpn* routines exist in GMP for many processors).

Here is a spiral: http://www.ultrafractal.com/showcase/janet/aparen.html

Very Happy (http://electricsheep.org/)
Post 16 Sep 2010, 03:02
Tyler

Tyler
http://fraqtive.mimec.org/downloads was the fractal viewer I was talking about. It gets really slow, but as far as I can tell, it zooms infinitely.
Post 22 Sep 2010, 06:19
janequorzar

janequorzar
A great piece of software that I love when it comes to this is http://www.mathworks.com/ Matlab. You can also literally design your own programming language with this. Its all about MATH.
Post 22 Sep 2010, 10:05

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: