flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Laptop GPU Upgrade?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tyler

Tyler
As a side question, since I've been asking(IMO) too many hardware questions here: does anyone here belong to a good hardware related forum?

My new lappy has a super awsomo quadcore CPU(of which I have yet to see more than 50% usage), but sadly I didn't heed revolution's warning to look into all details. The GPU is lagging under games that my CPU laughs at and it's getting irritating.

PC Wizard says that I have a PCI Express(2.0) slot on my mobo, 2 ports are "populated" and 2 are not. Does that mean it can hold a GPU?
Post 03 Aug 2010, 00:04
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
It depends upon the exact make and model. Open up all the user accessible panels and see what expansion slots have been made available. Usually only the memory and HDD are changeable.

Just because a chipset may support more PCI channels does not mean that have been physically routed to anywhere on the PCB.
Post 03 Aug 2010, 01:02
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tyler

Tyler
Memory and HDD are the only devices readily accessible. I take it that it's nearly impossible to upgrade something that the manufacturer doesn't intend for the user to access, am I right?
Post 04 Aug 2010, 15:31
Tyler

Tyler
Just to be clear, the stock GPU is integrated. I guess I should've known just that fact that it'd be slow. I won't make the same mistake again.
Post 04 Aug 2010, 15:35
Tyler

Tyler
I've found another model of the same laptop, it's an exact copy(Same chipset even) except that it includes a much better (discrete) GPU. Does this have any meaning for my situation?

Another observation: There's another vent that isn't punched out. Suggesting that it could support more.

I realize I could have gotten the other (better) one, but I got this one with a miss understanding of what an ExpressCard is, thinking PCIe==ExpressCard. Soon after I realized I'd screwed up.

P.S. Thanks for your help/suggestions. Smile
Post 10 Aug 2010, 08:07
Alphonso

Alphonso
What laptop is it, make & model?
Post 10 Aug 2010, 10:29
Tyler

Tyler
Links to PDF detailed specs.

Toshiba Satellite A665D-S6051
Toshiba Satellite A665D-S6059 - The one with discrete GPU.
Post 10 Aug 2010, 11:08
Alphonso

Alphonso
Sorry Tyler I didn't see anything good for this. Does it come with some sort of return policy? Maybe you could exchange it for a different machine if you're unhappy with it.
Post 12 Aug 2010, 14:27
guignol

guignol
there is no such thing as supa-dupa mobile GPU
Post 13 Aug 2010, 02:05
Tyler

Tyler
> Does it come with some sort of return policy?
Yes, I could return it for 85% of original purchasing cost. I was hoping for an alternative.

But if I can't find one, I'll return it and get a desktop instead. As guignol suggests, most reasonably priced laptops I've found don't have a supa-dupa GPU.
Post 13 Aug 2010, 05:43
Alphonso

Alphonso
I was wondering if they would let you upgrade without the restocking fee. Oh well, may be if you think of the restocking fee as a rental fee it won't seem as you wasted that money so much, just an expensive rental instead, idk.

Tyler wrote:
As guignol suggests, most reasonably priced laptops I've found don't have a supa-dupa GPU.
Reasonably priced as in cheap? Mostly you get what you pay for and if you want high performance in a laptop you normally pay a high price. Take the Alienware M17x R2 with option for 2 GPUs in crossfire (1GB ATI HD 5870 x2) . Certainly no slouch but of course you should be able to get much more performance for your money with a desktop.

When I bought my laptop a couple of years ago after doing " my homework". It was advertised as having a 9300M but turned out to be a 9200M and worse still used DDR2 instead of DDR3 for the GPU memory. Seems that when marketing the laptops those with the faster DDR3 advertise the fact such as "9300M with 256MB DDR3" where as those with the slower memory seem to not mention the type of memory "9300M with 256MB".

Take your time in choosing. Wink
Post 13 Aug 2010, 07:09
Tyler

Tyler
I mean reasonable as in not a ridiculous amount of money for me(16, no car, no job) to spend on a computer.

The most I'd be willing to save up is ~$800. So Alienware is completely out of the question. Smile

As to actually picking a computer with a good GPU, what's important in a GPU? The measurements I've been comparing so far are: core speed, shader speed, and pipelines. Is speed more important than pipelines or the other way around?

Thanks for your interest.
Post 13 Aug 2010, 08:41
Alphonso

Alphonso
Well I'm no expert on graphic cards. The speed might only be important for memory where 2 cards use the same type. Generally pricing seems to be performance based so the more you pay the more performance you should get, but like most things there are probably exceptions such as whether you want to run single or multiple cards. For good performance maybe if you start looking at the nvidia GTX460 or ATi HD5850 to start $200-$300 and go downwards from there. (If you need directx11 you might want nvidia 4xx or Ati 5xxx.)

Google reviews and benchmarks to get an idea of performance versus cost and check for possible promotions.
Post 16 Aug 2010, 05:22

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: