flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Which Linux?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
3200th

3200th
ManOfSteel wrote:
3200th wrote:
edfed wrote:
i will kill him/her with a spoon
How? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Wink

By removing one of the eyeballs with the spoon bowl and then inserting the handle into the optic canal and hacking the brain matter. Twisted Evil
ManOfSteel, you're such a deviant perverted yet creative chap! Shocked Twisted Evil Wink
Post 17 Oct 2010, 02:42
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
sabayon (backend gentoo) quite nice !! Smile
Post 19 Oct 2010, 09:18
tom tobias

tom tobias
sleepsleep wrote:
so far,imo, cruchbang linux, slax, centos, fedora

sleepsleep wrote:
sabayon (backend gentoo) quite nice !!

I am sticking with your first recommendation:
crunchbang, alpha 1, April 2010, XFCE.
Excellent, in my opinion.

Smile
Post 19 Oct 2010, 17:50
tom tobias

tom tobias
Just a note to alert folks to the release of CrunchBang 10. I prefer the XFCE version, but, those who appreciate Linux, (typing from keyboard, instead of using the mouse) will prefer the OpenBox version.

Both implementations are available in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

CrunchBang is faster, in my experience, having tested about fifty different Linux', than any other.

Smile
Post 08 Dec 2010, 13:15
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
yeah, the latest crunchbang based on debian directly instead of ubuntu... which is "nice" and more "clean" or "pure"...

about the sabayon, which is loaded into my 4GB pendrive,,, boot quite nicely almost all intel machine, got the smart status to inform me if the hard disk is about to fail... or contained bad sectors...
Post 09 Dec 2010, 14:14
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
tom,
i just tested the latest crunchbang 10 (openbox).... so smooth!!! excellent... Smile
Post 11 Dec 2010, 11:39
Coty

Coty
sleepsleep wrote:
got the smart status to inform me if the hard disk is about to fail... or contained bad sectors...

This saved my life once, got a new HDD barely in time Very Happy
Post 11 Dec 2010, 13:32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Coty wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
got the smart status to inform me if the hard disk is about to fail... or contained bad sectors...

This saved my life once, got a new HDD barely in time Very Happy
One word: BACKUP

Your current HDD(s) could fail at any time. Why risk it?
Post 11 Dec 2010, 14:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
Quote:

This saved my life once, got a new HDD barely in time

yeah,, me too, if i saw it produces some error notice, i just tell my customer to change new hard disk... easy... Smile at least i could save some more problem in future.... Wink

BACKUP

yeah,,, but i wonder how many of my customers love this job.. hahahak...
too many to backup ... they got pictures, (u know, they always choose the highest quality when snapping pictures, each JPEG is around 3 MB )

then their VIDEOS,,, their MP3(s) .......... average size i guess around each person 200 GB ...
Post 11 Dec 2010, 14:40
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
average size i guess around each person 200 GB ...
So? Once it is gone how much will you cry? HDDs are cheap, slap in an external drive and:
Code:
xcopy c:\* x:\ /s /i /y /d    
Post 11 Dec 2010, 14:54
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
sleepsleep wrote:
yeah,, me too, if i saw it produces some error notice, i just tell my customer to change new hard disk... easy... Smile at least i could save some more problem in future.... Wink

But don't be fooled by S.M.A.R.T. The "overall status" depends on all attributes and may sometimes be "misinterpreted" by the software.

Always check yourself which attribute is causing problems. Once it was telling me a disk is in bad shape. It was all caused by a low spin-up time. Weeks later the disk started to report higher spin-up times again and so the "problem" vanished.

Of course if the problem is caused by an increased sector reallocation or CRC errors then you should start to worry.

~~~~

revolution wrote:
Your current HDD(s) could fail at any time.

Yes. Even a week after you've bought it.
Post 11 Dec 2010, 16:21
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
need to check every attributes.,
for me,the safest way is, i tell the customer their lappy might broken, so at least if really got problem later, i just tell them i told u so before... Save me some time rather than to explain..
Imagine wat technical term he understand if he needs me to reformat his lappy to oem win 7??

But smart is just a good nice method for me to see wat goes wrong before i do anything, hehehe
Post 12 Dec 2010, 14:45
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
one of the largest convincing reason for me to actually run windows is battery consumption used by OS eg. linux....

in windows i could get 3.5 hours with this laptop.in linux, 2.5 hours only. and that is "a lot"....
Post 19 Jan 2011, 22:08
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
It surely depends on which systems you're running (e.g. is it Windows 7? K/Ubuntu?) and what software you're running on them.

Have you tried the most lightweight distros? Have you tried shutting down all the unneeded daemons? Have you tried running small window managers and selected lightweight applications instead of the usual GNOME/KDE environments?
Post 19 Jan 2011, 22:32
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
cruchbang with openbox.
It just pretty light system.
thunar file manager
bare system...even win xp offer much more...with extra hour...

If running only a bash shell could get me equivalent batt lasting time like using xp, i guess logically i must use xp then..
Post 19 Jan 2011, 22:45
Tyler

Tyler
What is the best Linux/Unix for self management? A few I've looked at, that fit this condition, are Arch, Slackware, and FreeBSD. I've tried FreeBSD recently, and liked how it installs to /usr/local/ instead of /usr/bin. I want a distro that allows non-root users to install to ~/local/, because that's the way it should be done, IMO. Smile Out of those that best meet these conditions, which has the most intuitive package management? Dependency resolution is a must!

I'm not all that concerned with disk usage, speed, memory usage, or anything else not design related. That is all not too much of an issue.
Post 24 Jan 2011, 03:35
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Quote:
I want a distro that allows non-root users to install to ~/local/, because that's the way it should be done

Use the fossil called Windows 9x then LOL.

You're starting to sound like Borsuc with his "portable application" thing of his. I've never understood the point.

1) First of all, it's really messy, corruption-prone and insecure. It offers absolutely no advantage when it's your machine (i.e. you have wheel access) and you can do whatever the hell you wish with it and its contents.
Plus when you're exhausted or not paying enough attention, it's very easy to run a rm -r command in the wrong CWD by accident. Poof, no more nothing!
The fact is binaries are rarely, if ever, modified and should be left in R/O locations while user settings are often modified and should be stored in R/W locations, as is now the case under modern Windows and has always been under *nix systems. THAT is logic!

2) Why make applications portable/movable when you can do that with your entire system without the disadvantages from above?
*nix is not Windows. A live system on a ROM disc or USB pendrive/external disk is very easy to do.

3) Anyway, have you ever compiled applications yourself? The build process usually puts all object files and the resulting binaries in the application's src and root directories. And they run fine from there.
If you like to waste your time and mess with symlinks, environment variables and whatnots, you should be able to do that with most of your user base, probably including the dependencies. Theoretically, I mean.
Post 24 Jan 2011, 10:47
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
maybe cloud could solve where should we put all those files inside our pc Wink
Post 24 Jan 2011, 16:40
Tyler

Tyler
ManOfSteel wrote:
have you ever compiled applications yourself?
Yes... but to what extent? I've never wrote GNU compatible makefiles or any scripts for the tools they use to generate them, but I've wrote simple ones of my own. Or do you mean modifying source, then compiling? I've only done that once, with mbchk, because ./configure didn't work, and all I wanted was mbchk itself since it doesn't come with Grub2.

Anyway, disregaurd installing to ~/local/. I've tried FreeBSD and the Ports/pkg think was okay, but I wouldn't want to use it from a GUI. AFAIK, Slackware doesn't have dependency resolution, so how is Arch's package management?

My argument for ~/local/ is that it allows users to make changes, while still preserving system security. I look at security as a responsibility of the user. If the user installs x virus to its local, then good for them, they fucked up. I don't care. Anyone who's stupid enough to run a virus would just run it somewhere else anyway. ~/local/ just gives a nice neat place to put executables that users plan to run without installing or having root install them.
Post 24 Jan 2011, 17:19
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Tyler wrote:
My argument for ~/local/ is that it allows users to make changes, while still preserving system security. I look at security as a responsibility of the user. If the user installs x virus to its local, then good for them, they fucked up. I don't care. Anyone who's stupid enough to run a virus would just run it somewhere else anyway. ~/local/ just gives a nice neat place to put executables that users plan to run without installing or having root install them.

Okay, then the question is: what exactly - and how much - would you store in this directory? Would it be the user's window manager? File manager? Web browser? DBMS? What's the limit here?
Or is it just for storing user-made small binaries and scripts? Because I do have such directory and that's what I use it for, and nothing else. And I know my own stuff well enough that I'll notice any corruption/infection right away.

If it's the former option, then I still don't understand the point. How many times do you (have to) modify Firefox? Aren't the numerous build-time options enough already?

Also, another problem is that it's not about a user accidentally running malware. It's about the user binaries getting infected by malware - which would be nearly everything a user normally uses everyday, right?
Then, the more people will put everything in this read-write directory, the more malware writers will be interested in targeting this OS. And then it goes pandemic.

The more you have outside protected locations, the more irrelevant and superfluous the entire system security becomes. It's like having that 20-carat diamond inside the safe while keeping those 50 400-ounce gold bars outside. When does it stop making any sense?
Post 24 Jan 2011, 19:59

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: