flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Which Linux?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
tom tobias

tom tobias
Tyler wrote:
Is there a modern OS that can handle 32MB of RAM? I've never checked the memory usage of a fresh CLI install of a Linux distro.
key word is "modern".
I have an old version of slackware that ran on a 486 with 16MB RAM. I haven't used it in 14 years, though.

The best "modern" OS, in the linux family, for working with very modest memory capabilities is
Tiny Core, which requires a minimum of 48 MBytes RAM.

edfed wrote:
i seek a linux for:

PMMX @ 233MHz 32MB ram, 2GB Compact flash, 2GB Hard disk, two ethernet cards, maybe two sound cards...

Are you not referring here to a second generation Pentium?

But, in that circumstance, unless I am badly mistaken, the motherboard quite possibly supported both 66MHz and 100MHz front side bus, which would permit you to use 32 Mbyte 100 MHz sdram modules, which were quite plentiful, at least in years gone by, so that you could easily double the memory on your board to 64 Mbytes. If not, here is at least one example of the obsolete 66MHz sdram for sale, $4.

Smile
Post 16 Jul 2010, 19:14
Enko

Enko
Tyler wrote:
Enko wrote:

Its even reconginzed the Via chip, ...

Don't all? The kernel that comes with Ubuntu prints all the cpuid eax=0 that it supports, Via is mentioned in one of them(I'm running Vista right now, so I can't quote exactly.).

How much memory do you have? Ubuntu Desktop runs fine with 1g and can handle a lot less depending on what you run. I have an Ubuntu-based LAMP server(It's really just an old computer I run Apache and PHP on.) that has a 3GHz P4 and 1GB memory. It runs smoothly running LAMP and functioning as a desktop at the same time.

I'll try Puppy Linux. I have Slax on a usb, but the way the Slax developers set it up is really screwed up. Does Puppy save changes between boots? Particularly, changes to "/etc"?

Yes, puppy saves changes beetween boots, in the first logout, it will ask you to create a file on the usb drive, so you can save al the configs and the appz that you install.

its Via 7 cpu, 1.6 ghz with 2gb of memory - 256 for the video card (viachrome9, for linux, it seems to use openchrome drivers)
The problem with ubuntu netbook remix, was that it didn't recongized the Video Card, becouse the resolution was to bad, and every time it should to do a slide effect o some grafic efect of the special desktop (every time) it was realy slow, about 5-6 fps.
With patience, I managed to wait about 5 min to see the Control Panel of the Video Card and it seems it didn't recongized it.

Lucid Puppy comes with a lot of handy desktop features, for a netbook comes very handy.
Post 16 Jul 2010, 22:19
Tyler

Tyler
Post 17 Jul 2010, 07:18
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
edfed wrote:
i seek a linux for:

PMMX @ 233MHz 32MB ram, 2GB Compact flash, 2GB Hard disk, two ethernet cards, maybe two sound cards...

edfed, not linux, but freebsd
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/install-hardware.html

needs only a 486 and 24Mb of RAM.

Post 19 Jul 2010, 11:34
rugxulo

rugxulo
Tyler wrote:
It's not that it's free, it's that Debian is an a-hole about the fact that it has to be free. My problem with the phrase "free software" is that it's over used by Debian.

Debian, IIRC, uses a non-free kernel with binary blobs, so they aren't that puritanical. (Although I disagree with their assessment of OpenWatcom's license, which is OSI approved and unlikely to ever change.)

Quote:

A Linux related question: What's the likelihood a self compiled Linux kernel will work with my Ubuntu installation. I'd like to compile my own w/ mods.

Ubuntu kernels aren't flawless anyways, they have various bugs and regressions (re: DOSEMU).
Post 19 Jul 2010, 11:43
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
edfed, depending on needs: muLinux (old), tomsrtbt (old), BlueFlops, DeLi Linux (website dead?), Damn Small Linux (obsolete, replaced by TinyCore), BasicLinux (old-ish), etc.

I wouldn't bother with ReactOS personally, it's crash-prone ("alpha"), but that's understandable given their lofty goals.

Anyways, Minix might be a better fit for low-end cpus. It's nice, try it!
Post 19 Jul 2010, 11:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
For a really tiny distro (30mb) try SlitaZ: http://www.slitaz.org/

It comes with OpenBox, easy package manager, good default theme.

I tested it on both virtualbox and a real pendrive. It works.
Post 27 Jul 2010, 17:51
Tyler

Tyler
About Linux min requirements: Linux 2.32.?(Debian Sid) crashes after killing udev and init with 52MB and ~400 swap, but makes it to GDM(VERY SLOW) with 64MB and same swap. I logged in after it reached GDM, but I got tired of waiting for the desktop and shut down the VM.
Post 08 Aug 2010, 02:39
Picnic

Picnic
Recently i tried few small Linux distros, Damn small linux, Puppy & Slitaz, all from a usb stick. I stuck with Puppy, it entirety loads into RAM and runs super fast. It recognized all my devices out of the box (and i have a lot!) I've download and tried Fasm. Quite impressive distro, it saves all changes to usb stick at exit or even on a multisession CD-R, no need for a hard disk at all. DSL & Slitaz have also similar characteristics but i had some noob trouble configuring my wifi there.
Post 09 Aug 2010, 10:49
Enko

Enko
Picnic wrote:
Recently i tried few small Linux distros, Damn small linux, Puppy & Slitaz, all from a usb stick. I stuck with Puppy, it entirety loads into RAM and runs super fast. It recognized all my devices out of the box (and i have a lot!) I've download and tried Fasm. Quite impressive distro, it saves all changes to usb stick at exit or even on a multisession CD-R, no need for a hard disk at all. DSL & Slitaz have also similar characteristics but i had some noob trouble configuring my wifi there.

puppy rocks!!! xD

in my netbook the wifi with puppy some times get irritated with some strange bug. Some times it conects super fast, some time need to play with configs and try-retry.
Post 11 Aug 2010, 22:12
ford

ford
Well, I tend to find most of the "mainstream" distributions of Linux rather tired and boring. Personally, I prefer: Slackware, Sorcerer, SourceMage, GoboLinux, SliTaz, Slax, Blag.

With Debian and Ubuntu I find that their configs for several packages are just awful. With Red Hat/Fedora, Mandriva, and similar distributions I find myself constantly fighting with a horrible package management system that has circular dependencies.

Slackware is nice because it does not try to do anything for you, and while it does not resolve dependencies automatically many libraries are included on the ISO, and many packages are available via Slackbuilds. I switched to Sorcerer and Source Mage after Gentoo's package repository got all garfed with masked packages and blocked packages and whatnot. I also like that Sorcerer and Source Mage's package tools are written completely in Bash. GoboLinux is simply beautiful. I loved using it, and I loved how speedy it was. The only problem here is the lack of an updated ISO... that works.

SliTaz is tiny, well polished, and wonderful. I was using it as my main OS for a while. It has insanely low system requirements too. I only moved away from it to go back to source based systems. Slax is wonderful. The only issue with it is the same as Gobo. They need an updated ISO that actually works.

Blag is the only distribution I recommend for freetards.

If you really need something that can run on low end hardware I recommend either: TinyXP (a respin by eXPerience, can be found on most torrent sites, be sure to have your XP license key ready so you can change the key after install and remain legal), or a source based distribution.

With Gentoo, Sorcerer, or any other source based distribution, you can pass optimization flags that are specific to the CPU you are using. Also, you can compile things without optional dependencies, which makes them far lighter weight.
Post 18 Aug 2010, 13:32
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
ubuntu latest 10.10 maverick meerkat looks nice Wink
posting using live iso boot through my dell latitude 2100 Smile almost everything works....

quite nice!! experience so far wonderfull
Post 10 Oct 2010, 20:08
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
one thing that always ponder me is CPU usage between linux & windows.

when doing nothing, in windows, it will always below 10%... but in linux.. it is more than 10% to 40%

so,, does anyone here really got some explanations to insight me?
Post 10 Oct 2010, 20:23
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
sleepsleep wrote:
when doing nothing, in windows, it will always below 10%...

Shocked

sleepsleep wrote:
in linux.. it is more than 10% to 40%

Shocked^2

sleepsleep wrote:
so,, does anyone here really got some explanations to insight me?

Maybe polling, probably HAL crap...
Post 10 Oct 2010, 21:08
edfed

edfed
hehe, i had a huge problem on my netbook, i lend it yesterday to a "lambda facebook user", and the result was:
a new programm was installed :your system have virus, please register this antivirus right now.

lol, as a result, even CTRL + ALT + DEL was unactivated by the "administrator", and ones i restarted the computer, no boot at all.
then:

guess what, i've installed UBUNTU NETBOOK EDITION from a live USB distro, and it works very well.

all the files are well saved, and now, i have this "deskbook" with WIN98 and the netbook with linux.

i will be able to code asm under linux now Very Happy (after a long adaptation time of course)...

and the next time somebody ask me the netbook ot go on facebook, i will kill him/her with a spoon.
Post 14 Oct 2010, 11:55
3200th

3200th
edfed wrote:
i will kill him/her with a spoon
How? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Wink
Post 14 Oct 2010, 12:10
edfed

edfed
by hitting his/her computer with a spoon.

this is the first message i post from linux.

it is interresting, but i don't understand how it can be easy to code with.
i am unable to just launch an application from a tar.gz archive, like gimp or asmide...

it is not like windows i see, no way to clic on a program icon to launch it.then, i am curious to find how it will be possible to do:

Code:
fasm prog.asm prog
prog

.. Sad
Post 15 Oct 2010, 17:30
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
3200th wrote:
edfed wrote:
i will kill him/her with a spoon
How? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Wink

By removing one of the eyeballs with the spoon bowl and then inserting the handle into the optic canal and hacking the brain matter. Twisted Evil
Post 15 Oct 2010, 18:54
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
edfed wrote:
i am unable to just launch an application from a tar.gz archive, like gimp or asmide...

The tar.gz is probably the source code. You either have to uncompress and untar it then build the application by following the instructions mentioned in the "README" file or similar, or you can download some binary package and install it using the appropriate package management facility.
Which of the two methods (or both) is available depends on the distro. You should check the manual/handbook.

edfed wrote:
it is not like windows i see, no way to clic on a program icon to launch it.

It depends on the desktop environment (DE) and file manager you are using, but double-clicking should be possible. In some "Desktop Entry Specification"-compatible DEs you should have (and be able to create) .desktop files that launch applications.
They may be available as "application launcher" icons on the panel (like the "taskbar").

edfed wrote:

then, i am curious to find how it will be possible to do:

Code:
fasm prog.asm prog
prog

.. Sad

If you have fasm installed, then simply open a terminal emulator (like "MS-DOS prompt"), cd to the directory where your .asm source code is stored, execute the fasm ... command and execute ./prog. Or you can write a makefile and just type "make" instead of the fasm command.
Note: if you do not specify the "dot" before the application name, it will search the path and will return a "Command not found" error since your application is not in the path.
Post 15 Oct 2010, 19:04
guignol

guignol
Yo! Poopy Linux!!! and RejectOS!!
Aha-Aha
Post 15 Oct 2010, 21:36

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: