flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Some really fascinating robots

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
Post 19 Apr 2010, 18:46
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
guignol

guignol
Shove it! Wink
TED sux! Cool
Post 19 Apr 2010, 23:10
kohlrak

kohlrak
It ain't fun until we get out the foam ball launchers! Twisted Evil
Post 20 Apr 2010, 05:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
MHajduk

MHajduk
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
http://www.ted.com/talks/dennis_hong_my_seven_species_of_robot.html
Yeah, some mechanical solutions are stunning, indeed. I was really surprised by tripod robot (STriDER) movement (rolling over the robot corpus while walk inspired by biology and mechanics of the human body) and worm-like crawling machine (ChIMERA).

I've remembered a few quotes from this lecture. This is a one of them, probably the most brilliant:
Quote:
First work smart, then work hard.
Wink
Post 20 Apr 2010, 11:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
i have a simple idea about a robot... simple and really powerfull.

make a body for a netbook.

that's all.
after, everything will be in the code, and the body features.

the first step would be to just make a wheeling platform, like a car. TWO motors minimum. one for speed, one for direction.

using the webcam as an eye, the X86 cpu to do a 3D modelisaiton of the evironment, and compute the new trajectory from it.

it can be very interresting to build a USB body for PC.

then, if the PC is a netbook, it can be fixed to the body, but for thoses who don't have a light laptop, it can be interresting too, by only using it as a mouse, a plugable devide.

anyone interrested in a study of a DIY USB motorised platform?
the more we are on the project, the more solutoins we'll find. Very Happy
and of course, as everybody will work on it at home, it will let us have a lot of different, but compatible, robots. Very Happy
Post 20 Apr 2010, 14:13
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
cool edfed,
i would like to add something. i always need to use teamviewer or vnc to remote into client pc, and last time i thought of, why not just i put a robot there that could represent me.

maybe a netbook like edfed mentioned, with motor to move and direction, and maybe a USB to VGA cable that let the client plug its vga from problem pc into my USB, then i could just remote into my netbook and can switch off or on the pc, (i need a sort of simple robotic hand on the netbook edfed).. heehehe

then maybe i could perform some remote installation of windows (means the robot could put cd into the cd tray), handle the keyboard, let say we need to modify bios boot sequence),

i think it is cool if we could get a netbook (remote it) if possible, we want it to fly?? is that ok edfed?)

btw, is that possible to use 5 volt?? (USB current output) to fly the netbook itself?)
Post 20 Apr 2010, 17:29
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
then just now i think..
a x86 handset might be a good candidate too for mini robot body.
Post 20 Apr 2010, 17:32
kohlrak

kohlrak
sleepsleep wrote:
btw, is that possible to use 5 volt?? (USB current output) to fly the netbook itself?)

That depends, are you using a propeller or a gas tank? If you're using a propeller, no, if you're using gas, yes.
Post 20 Apr 2010, 17:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
the netbook is a brain.
the body will be a plafrom with it's own power suppy, from electrical network, solar, or only batteries and charger.

the pc will use USB then, it will use an OS that support USB.

linux, windows, bsd or else.

as it is a brain, it will remote the body with USB.

then, the body can be separated from the brain.
and if the computer is not very heavy, or the body very strong, it can be combined.

the idea with netbook, or laptop, is to have the screen integrated. then, it will show what we want.

ready?
first step, prepare a body.
second step, buid the body micro computer, with USB port.
third, build the soft on the PC
fourth, test it, and reloop to second step.

the main goal is to make an assistant
when i returned at home, i seriouslly needed thing robot to be there, but it wasn't.
then, i will build one during a certain, hope i will have it ready the next ime i'll break somthing. Very Happy
Post 20 Apr 2010, 18:33
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
so what are the tools we need, possibly stuff that we could get from broken parts, green and recycle..
Hard disk motor? Idk how to unscrew that hard disk,hehehe,,
Cd rom drive moter? Huhuu
Post 21 Apr 2010, 13:42
edfed

edfed
to unscrew a hard drive, i use this:
it can turn any special screw. Very Happy

fo the moment, i think we only need Hard drive motors, but they are not strong enough, then, some brush less motors for model making will be good.

need a good accumulato, lik,e a 12V 7Ah one, to supply the body.

need a directional servo, or use a hard drive head motor to do the job.

if the body is intended to be separated from the PC, it can use Hard drive motors, as it will be light weight.

Very Happy

and need a chassis to mount all this mechanics.
Post 21 Apr 2010, 13:56
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
edfed wrote:
to unscrew a hard drive, i use this:
it can turn any special screw. Very Happy
Indeed, there is nothing like the right tool for the right job. And that certainly is nothing like the right tool for the right job. Razz
Post 21 Apr 2010, 14:00
guignol

guignol
Always keen on burning his neighbour.
What is his name?!
Post 21 Apr 2010, 23:20
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
serious Wink robotic is coming Smile together with android.... soon....

everything will be auto or semi-auto soon... love seeing a kinect robot doing cctv lately....

possibilities are endless.....

i was thinking about soon, people will set up their ceiling as walk path for robot,,, so the robot at top of us doing their job Wink

if u want something from somewhere,, request, then the robot drop down to ur location Wink
Post 19 Nov 2010, 16:34
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
Post 16 Feb 2011, 21:23
shoorick

shoorick
incredible!
Post 17 Feb 2011, 05:38
Madis731

Madis731
@edfed: your idea is unfortunately not new: http://www.robotex.ee/eng/robotex_2010_0 - if you look at the robots, you see that for many years here in Estonia, they've used Asus netbooks on a chassis.
Post 17 Feb 2011, 07:37
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
Quote:

unfortunately not new

the goal is not to have THE original and brand new idea. simpsons have ever made everything (ref south park).

the goal is to produce something that can work, with the less possible components. or just legos...
Post 17 Feb 2011, 08:57

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: