flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Digital road sign - Runtime error

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
kohlrak

kohlrak
Tyler wrote:
I just expected crtl+del+alt to do something because it triggers(or is supposed to trigger) an interrupt. Would X hanging like that also disallow F* to a tty? I tried to get to a terminal, but couldn't.

Ctrl-alt-backspace... Last time i checked, though, no specific key combination has it's own IRQ in any pic.
Post 10 May 2010, 18:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
DustWolf

DustWolf
Yay for bringing old threads back from the dead! Anyway...

ManOfSteel wrote:
revolution wrote:
I know that drivers in Windows have free roam over the whole system, but does *nix and BSD also allow this level of control with system drivers?
[...]
does *nix even have a BSOD equivalent screen

They panic() instead of showing a BSOD Wink

What this means is that instead of locking up the system and potentially rebooting, it makes a log entry and continues without the problematic driver. AFAIK Linux runs drivers in ring1, so there is much more control here than in Windows where everything except userland is ring0.

I've had Linux running as a server on totally fried hardware (bad memory, overheated motherboard and dead harddrive) and it just kept on going, albeit processes kept vanishing and when a process wanted to I/O something to disk larger than the cache it froze. But the system kept on working!

On the other hand this palm with Windows CE on it I had is practically useless as nothing saves anything over a reboot (for example the WLAN driver had to be reinstalled on every reboot) and it tends to mess up every now and then requiring a reboot.

So... uh... yea. Linux is more reliable I think. Lol.

LP,
Jure
Post 07 Jun 2010, 22:29
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: