flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Patent absurdity movie

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
pete

pete
From the website:

Quote:

Patent Absurdity explores the case of software patents and the history of judicial activism that led to their rise, and the harm being done to software developers and the wider economy. The film is based on a series of interviews conducted during the Supreme Court's review of in re Bilski — a case that could have profound implications for the patenting of software. The Court's decision is due soon...

Post 19 Apr 2010, 06:14
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I still remember my thoughts the first time I found out about software patents. "What? They are allowing patents for that? How can I program anything without being sure I won't infringe something?".

Not surprising that it all comes down to who has the most expensive lawyers.

One strange thing about it is this: Patents are supposed to be for something that it "not obvious" and is "novel", right? Or at least that it is what I thought it meant. So if it is "novel" and "not obvious" then how is it that so many other people can come up with the same, or similar, idea so easily? Seems to me it was not so "novel" and "not obvious" after all.
Post 27 Apr 2010, 08:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
it remembers me when i coded the line algorythm.

several months after, i saw it was still "invented" by besenham, but hopefully, he didn't patented it.

for exemple, can the loop to create a colored rectangle be patented?

software patent is a sort of intelligence limitation, the one who "invented" the code, and patent it beeleve he is very SMART, if not he is the SMARTER man in the world.

he looks at him in the mirror, carresses his tits, and have an erection for his intelligence. estimates that HIS ideas are genius, and are his possession...

even for harware, a patent is not a good thing. even for pure media like music and movies... many times, I "invented" melodies, and many times, they were used in hits, and because of patents, i cannot compose with them...

and what gives me some headake is... the litterature patents.

how to write a book on assembly whithout talking about still aborded themes?
and more generaly, can i use the book i will create, for my own use, for exemple translate it in english and give it for free.. i risk to be sued by the editor if i make it.

the same for the Power supply i've made for another company, if i use the schematic as is, they can sue me for industrial property injury...
this society is... mad and ill.

generaly, patents are bad.
Post 27 Apr 2010, 10:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
edfed: Don't confuse patents with copyright. You can't patent a book, it has been around for too long to be patented. But you can copyright the contents of the book.

The same with code. You can copyright your expression of an algorithm (i.e. the actual code that you write), but you can't copyright the algorithm. The algorithm would have to be patented.

Now, from what I understand, normal mathematical algorithms are not valid for patent applications (nor should they be either). But, it seems, that when you put those algorithms into a computer suddenly you can patent the algorithm! And you can also copyright the code also. You get two ways to "protect" your code.
Post 27 Apr 2010, 10:48
edfed

edfed
yes, sorry, i confused patent and copyright.
but about the hw that you can design for a company, nothuing forbid them to patent it... it is still the case for many of their hardware. like a demodulator based on a transformer. lol, and other stuffs like filters, power stage, they have patented a lot of things.... but they did not invented them, just use books, apply the knowledge, build apps around, and patent it.

that's what i name, a progress brake.
Post 27 Apr 2010, 11:05
revolution

revolution
If you can patent something that is just a copy of something else then the patent is invalid and you can contest it. Many such invalid patents have been issued and have been successfully contested. You can't just patent anything. It is supposed to be "novel" and "not-obvious": the "novel" part means it can't already be in the public domain, like in a book, or on the Internet.
Post 27 Apr 2010, 11:12
edfed

edfed
Wink, but about early ages of technology... a lot of patents were made, based on common knowledge. and were never issued.
buziness...
Post 27 Apr 2010, 11:44

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: