flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Fun and Harmless "Hacking"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
kohlrak wrote:
You missed the apostrophe, but it was understood anyway. You can chain possession, though, which is unfortunate since it makes talk about distant relatives quite wordy. "She's my aunt's son's brother in law's mother."
Thanks. So I should have put "...the ... router's manufacturer's word ...". I shall keep that in mind.
Post 09 Apr 2010, 18:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Sorry, the conversation was too long and perhaps I missed it but have you considered VLANs?
Post 09 Apr 2010, 18:10
kohlrak

kohlrak
revolution wrote:
kohlrak wrote:
I'm pretty sure you have to have your modem registered with the ISP (my modem isn't even mine, actually, but the ISP's). Any time they buy a new one, they register it. With their own custom equipment, they could effectively ignore standards along the way as well. So neither static tables nor ignoring would be difficult. I think static ARP tables is more likely. Assign a specific IP to a specific MAC. Heck, even my router's capable of that.
I think you should look for a new ISP. If what you say is correct then how can you know that some other hacker is not freely catching/altering your data? By not following standards that open themselves (and their customers) up for all sorts of shenanigans. Remember the MAC is easily forged. So if they have a static MAC system used as some sort of protection mechanism then someone can simply forge their MAC to be anyone they please.

I've heard of this before with some other ISPs here in america (not sure if it was ARP or not). Considering the resourcefulness of my ISP, i figure if they do have extra protection, it would be based on monitoring the lines (cable ISP). I do know that one time i took the modem to another house serviced by the same cable company (didn't have the internet service, though) and it didn't work.

Quote:
I think it more likely that the port number is used to assign your IP address and that that MAC and ARP are used in the normal fashion, This is normal behaviour for ISPs.

Port number?

EDIT:

Quote:
Sorry, the conversation was too long and perhaps I missed it but have you considered VLANs?

Wouldn't need to, as it doesn't really interrupt my theory any. Laughing Essentially, a vlan is an artificial lan. Depending on implementation it could be just like the theory i described.
Post 09 Apr 2010, 18:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
kohlrak wrote:
(didn't have the internet service, though)
The port has to be activated, i.e. enabled, before you can get service. Every cable connects to a port somewhere in the ISPs network, they can selectively enable for disable various services depending upon what you are paying for.
Post 09 Apr 2010, 22:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
revolution wrote:
kohlrak wrote:
(didn't have the internet service, though)
The port has to be activated, i.e. enabled, before you can get service. Every cable connects to a port somewhere in the ISPs network, they can selectively enable for disable various services depending upon what you are paying for.

Which means they can monitor them.
Post 10 Apr 2010, 00:46
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
Yes, your ISP has full access and control over your Internet data. You have to either: A) trust them, or B) not bother to connect to the Internet.
Post 10 Apr 2010, 12:55
kohlrak

kohlrak
revolution wrote:
Yes, your ISP has full access and control over your Internet data. You have to either: A) trust them, or B) not bother to connect to the Internet.

I don't trust them, so i encrypt my data. Razz
Post 10 Apr 2010, 12:58
revolution

revolution
Do you personally trust each and every top level cert authority that is loaded into your browser? Most people don't even know what that means. And most people are very very surprised when they see the entire list. You generally hear cries of "WTF is that cert doing in there?" and "Who the hell is that company?". And guess what, when you send data via SSL it is possible that it is being "protected" by a cert authority that you either have never heard of, or would not be happy trusting with your data. Now are you still sure that all your encrypted data is safe? But let's try not to get too paranoid. :p
Post 10 Apr 2010, 13:12
kohlrak

kohlrak
revolution wrote:
Do you personally trust each and every top level cert authority that is loaded into your browser? Most people don't even know what that means. And most people are very very surprised when they see the entire list. You generally hear cries of "WTF is that cert doing in there?" and "Who the hell is that company?". And guess what, when you send data via SSL it is possible that it is being "protected" by a cert authority that you either have never heard of, or would not be happy trusting with your data. Now are you still sure that all your encrypted data is safe? But let's try not to get too paranoid. :p

Well, i have little data that i'm overly worried about securing, so i actually encrypt very little. The stuff i'm most worried about, actually, is encrypted via SSH. My web passwords couldn't actually be less secure, since they're plain text. I rarely do any buying online but when i do it's sites that have a good reputation (which means they most likely use acceptable security) like Newegg or something like that. But as added security, i use a debit card (not attatched to a bank account) to limit the amount possibly stolen.
Post 10 Apr 2010, 14:50
Tyler

Tyler
kohlrak wrote:

i use a debit card (not attatched to a bank account) to limit the amount possibly stolen.

You may want to research your local laws, assuming you live in the US, some states have laws to protect credit card users. In NC, If my debit card is used without my permission, I'm screwed, but if instead, it's a credit card, instead of me getting screwed over, it's the credit company's problem. The burden is on them to prove I bought the item, as opposed to with debit, I have to prove I didn't buy it.
Post 10 Apr 2010, 19:35
kohlrak

kohlrak
Tyler wrote:
kohlrak wrote:

i use a debit card (not attatched to a bank account) to limit the amount possibly stolen.

You may want to research your local laws, assuming you live in the US, some states have laws to protect credit card users. In NC, If my debit card is used without my permission, I'm screwed, but if instead, it's a credit card, instead of me getting screwed over, it's the credit company's problem. The burden is on them to prove I bought the item, as opposed to with debit, I have to prove I didn't buy it.

Sounds like a messed up law that'll drive interest rates high so they can continue to afford it. Even if there is such a law in PA, i won't do it. Plus, if i do something stupid, i should have to pay for it, not someone else.
Post 11 Apr 2010, 02:59
Tyler

Tyler
kohlrak wrote:

Sounds like a messed up law that'll drive interest rates high so they can continue to afford it.

Or the law could be an attempt to keep the credit card companies honest, to give the give them a reason to care how hard it is to steal your id. Otherwise they'd be happy to give you credit card # and other required information to anyone, because they'd know you have to pay it anyway.
Post 11 Apr 2010, 04:31
kohlrak

kohlrak
Tyler wrote:
kohlrak wrote:

Sounds like a messed up law that'll drive interest rates high so they can continue to afford it.

Or the law could be an attempt to keep the credit card companies honest, to give the give them a reason to care how hard it is to steal your id. Otherwise they'd be happy to give you credit card # and other required information to anyone, because they'd know you have to pay it anyway.

And you don't think people wouldn't take advantage of it to make free purchases?

Plus, as i said, the credit card company wouldn't pay or it, everyone does. Remember, they get their money from customers, so if they have to make more money, they have to get it from somewhere, which means generally higher interest rates all around. This is why taxes and inflation go up, too, as the more money the government spends, the more they have to come up with.
Post 11 Apr 2010, 13:00

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: