flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > applied religious idiocracy (was "no comment")

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Sure, some people like to claim they are doing things in the name of <choose your favourite religion here>. In most cases though, those people are just using (yes, also abusing) the name of a religion to achieve whatever ends it is that they really want. We call these people fanatics. And any normal civilised member of <choose your favourite religion here> would be quick to point out that those fanatics are not representing <choose your favourite religion here> in any way.
Post 01 Apr 2010, 08:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
revolution wrote:
Sure, some people like to claim they are doing things in the name of <choose your favourite religion here>. In most cases though, those people are just using (yes, also abusing) the name of a religion to achieve whatever ends it is that they really want. We call these people fanatics. And any normal civilised member of <choose your favourite religion here> would be quick to point out that those fanatics are not representing <choose your favourite religion here> in any way.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but is not a fanatic someone with blind devotion to something and thus quite opposite of someone who changes things (especially intentionally) to get their own way instead?
Post 01 Apr 2010, 08:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
Fanaticism is not about changing, or not changing things, it is about being very extreme in beliefs and/or desires.

e.g. Person A decides that if Person B doesn't follow A's beliefs (like in a religious setting) then B's beliefs are wrong and thus need to be changed (or eliminated, or abolished, or whatever).
Post 01 Apr 2010, 08:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
revolution wrote:
Fanaticism is not about changing, or not changing things, it is about being very extreme in beliefs and/or desires.

e.g. Person A decides that if Person B doesn't follow A's beliefs (like in a religious setting) then B's beliefs are wrong and thus need to be changed (or eliminated, or abolished, or whatever).

Would a fanatic of a religion not follow the religion zealously? If you follow it zealously, you realize that elimination, abolishment, or whatever is against the religion and any attempt to do so is heresy, no?
Post 01 Apr 2010, 09:02
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
Fanatics tend to make up their own rules about what is right and what is wrong. Like I mentioned above, they might claim they follow <religion X> but in reality they are just making rules to suit themselves and don't really care that what they do will be against <religion X>.
Post 01 Apr 2010, 09:08
kohlrak

kohlrak
revolution wrote:
Fanatics tend to make up their own rules about what is right and what is wrong. Like I mentioned above, they might claim they follow <religion X> but in reality they are just making rules to suit themselves and don't really care that what they do will be against <religion X>.

Don't get me wrong, i certainly agree that this is the problem, but i wouldn't exactly say that fits the technical definition of fanatic. I think the term you're looking for is "crank" or "kook." The dangerous fanatics would be those who follow the kooks (and are fanatical to the kook, not the religion).
Post 01 Apr 2010, 09:15
revolution

revolution
I think the term "religious fanaticism" is more than just the meanings of the two words combined. It tends to mean something more like "extreme religious fundamentalism" where "extreme" tends to indicate that if you don't believe what they believe then you had better watch out.
Post 01 Apr 2010, 09:24
kohlrak

kohlrak
revolution wrote:
I think the term "religious fanaticism" is more than just the meanings of the two words combined. It tends to mean something more like "extreme religious fundamentalism" where "extreme" tends to indicate that if you don't believe what they believe then you had better watch out.

I take it you've never heard of how many people refer to people like my dad when it comes to baseball and other sports. Laughing Although referred to as fanatics (and yes, even religious fanatics), they certainly aren't killers.
Post 01 Apr 2010, 09:31

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: