flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > PageDefrag really good to use?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
What do you think?

I have the theory that if it was not very fragmented before using it you could end up having WORST performance later. The reason is because the defragmentation consists of finding (the first I hope) free contiguous space which is long enough to fit pagefile.sys, but in doing so the pagefile could end up father away from the beginning of the disk resulting in reduced transfer rate.

I couldn't find people saying something similar to what I've said above though, so perhaps the way Windows typically accesses the pagefile makes the benefit of the faster transfer rate at the beginning of the disk almost negligible? Perhaps nobody is seriously measuring the performance? Razz

PS: On my computer it is already defragmented because I've set a fixed size from the very beginning so this question is more for cases in which I could run it on other computers than mine.
Post 02 Mar 2010, 18:53
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I disabled disk paging on all my machines a long time ago. Perhaps you also don't actually need it?
Post 03 Mar 2010, 01:16
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

Perhaps you also don't actually need it?

I need it, I have only 1 GB of physical RAM here and I don't know why but DDR memory is even more expensive than DDR3 here (or very near to the DDR3 price, and DDR2 is the cheapest by a considerable margin)
Post 03 Mar 2010, 01:46
revolution

revolution
I have 512MB RAM.
Post 03 Mar 2010, 02:10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
You must be doing a very lightweight use of your computer, I have at the moment of writing this post a physical memory usage of ~570 MB (and ~790 MB of commit charge). This without having Visual Studio 2008 opened nor image editing software (I work with very heavy images here from time to time) which takes lots of memory too.

When I use VirtualPC I also loose non negligible amount of RAM.

Note that I don't have desktop theme enabled, the look and feel of my XP resembles that of Windows 2000.
Post 03 Mar 2010, 02:52
revolution

revolution
My idle usage is ~80MB. Once I add FF, Adobe reader, a few notepads and a cmd prompt or two it can climb to ~300MB-470MB. I have a batch file to assemble with 100MB by default. The only trouble I have is with FF and Adobe together. With JS disabled in FF the memory usage maxes out around 84MB, but Adobe is greedy and likes to keep memory even after closing large documents. So I occasionally close Adobe just to free up its nonsense and restart from fresh.

VS, VPC: OMG no wonder you need oodles of RAM. Aside from the OS my PC is an MS-free zone.
Post 03 Mar 2010, 03:05
Borsuc

Borsuc
But Adobe Reader is crap too, why not use Foxit Reader or some alternative light-weight pdf viewer?

I find 1GB of free RAM quite enough at the moment -- of course, I use far less than that, but I like the benefits of caching (the OS does it). When I'll start some audio production I'll probably relocate my ramdisk to 1GB instead of 2GB as I'll need more free RAM Laughing

Post 03 Mar 2010, 13:32
revolution

revolution
Borsuc wrote:
But Adobe Reader is crap too, why not use Foxit Reader or some alternative light-weight pdf viewer?
Okay, I had not really put changing readers high in my list of things to do. But perhaps you are correct, I should take some time to research what would be a good alternative.
Post 03 Mar 2010, 13:35
f0dder

f0dder
revolution: win2k?
Post 05 Mar 2010, 00:15
revolution

revolution
f0dder wrote:
win2k?
I run XPSP2
Post 10 Mar 2010, 16:23
f0dder

f0dder
revolution wrote:
f0dder wrote:
win2k?
I run XPSP2
Sounds pretty low for XP - have you nLited the installation, or perhaps just tweaked services etc?

Post 10 Mar 2010, 17:08
revolution

revolution
I require very few of the default services, so I disabled almost all of them.

Standard security advice: if you don't need it don't run it. [it also saves memory, as well as improve security]
Post 10 Mar 2010, 17:24
edemko

edemko
LocoDelAssembly
I use VirtualPC
VMWare(http://www.vmware.com/) and VirtualBox(http://www.virtualbox.org/) said to be the best.

revolution
Itime to research what would be a good alternative
FoxitPdf spread as a single executive and needs no reinstall.
Post 10 Mar 2010, 17:26

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: