flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Can I use my laptop as the monitor of another computer?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tyler

Tyler
I need to use my laptop as the monitor for a desktop I'm going to get. It's an old IBM Thinkcentre that I plan to use as a server, so there's no reason to buy a monitor for it. It comes with no OS, so I can't use anything like SSH or Telnet.

While I'm asking questions, is
2.8GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor
1GB of DDR2 RAM
80GB hard drive
Ubuntu Server with Xfce
enough for a personal server?
Post 11 Feb 2010, 05:13
Tyler

Tyler
Anyway to install the OS by USB connection?
Post 11 Feb 2010, 05:22
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Post 11 Feb 2010, 05:26
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Tyler wrote:
Can I use my laptop as the monitor of another computer?
I do it with my laptop, but perhaps not in the way you are asking. I use remote desktop and VNC to access some things. But it seems you are asking something else. To feed in some external video signal into the laptop LCD. If that is what you want then I don't think it is possible.
Post 11 Feb 2010, 05:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Tyler wrote:
I need to use my laptop as the monitor for a desktop I'm going to get.

Isn't that what the X Window System was originally designed for (i.e. to provide a graphical interface for networked computers)?
Take a look at your network connections (sockstat, netstat, whatever). You'll see X running there, unless of course you disabled it with a -nolisten tcp parameter.

Tyler wrote:
It comes with no OS, so I can't use anything like SSH or Telnet.

Eh? Why have a computer that has no OS? It's like a brain-dead person. It's kinda useless.
And please don't use telnet or any r-utility.

Tyler wrote:
enough for a personal server?

Most probably, yes.
But why are you running such a heavy DE (or any, at all) on a server? Okay, Xfce is not so heavy, but still.
Post 11 Feb 2010, 11:52
Tyler

Tyler

Thanks, I'll look into it.
revolution wrote:

To feed in some external video signal into the laptop LCD

Exactly. Just didn't know how to put it.
revolution wrote:

I don't think it is possible.

Sad
ManOfSteel wrote:

Xfce is not so heavy, but still.

Suggestions? It's primarily a server, but I'm also going to create an account for my little brother and sister.(let them buy the monitor later) So it does need to look modern, simple, etc.

Something else you would know, how would I install Xfce(or other) and keep the cli login?(like when you first install a DE and have to type "startx" to get to the DE)
Post 12 Feb 2010, 01:52
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Tyler wrote:
Suggestions? It's primarily a server, but I'm also going to create an account for my little brother and sister.(let them buy the monitor later) So it does need to look modern, simple, etc.

I would've said TWM or no X at all.
If you want to use it as both desktop and server you'll have to double your vigilance when securing it because many "desktop" applications can compromise security. Keep both server and desktop applications up to date. Pay special attention to sudoers. You don't want lil bro' and sis' messing with your server processes and configuration files. Give them the least access/privilege possible. Separate their accounts and impose strong password policies. Disable any service you don't need. Install a firewall and only let the very minimum required on ingress/egress.

Tyler wrote:
Something else you would know, how would I install Xfce(or other) and keep the cli login?(like when you first install a DE and have to type "startx" to get to the DE)

Well, unlike GNOME and KDE, Xfce by default has no DM so all you have to do is do nothing. Wink
Of course, add the appropriate Xfce path to your .xinitrc file(s). There must also be a startxfce4 script or something like that that replaces startx, so you only have to execute it and it'll run X and Xfce.
Post 12 Feb 2010, 11:31

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: