flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > how many languages to code?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

how many langages (and which)
ASM only
35%
 35%  [ 11 ]
C only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
else only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
two languages with at least ASM or C
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
ASM & C
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Qbasic
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3 or more languages
45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 31

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
edfed



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 4237
Location: 2018
edfed
hello.
how many languages do you use to code programs?

only asm?
only C?
a mix?

lets play the poll....


Last edited by edfed on 04 Feb 2010, 22:42; edited 1 time in total
Post 02 Feb 2010, 03:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tyler



Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Posts: 1216
Location: NC, USA
Tyler
All languages are useful, otherwise they would not exist. Asm and C are good for things that require speed or low level access to hardware. However, Asm and C are not the types of languages best for GUI. How much are you really gonna gain from calling a WINAPI funtion that was probably coded in C++ from Asm? Not much. IMO, if mono ever gets to a point that it can be reliable, .NET is/will be the best language for GUI. Asm is more fun than all the rest, but I imagine just coding the simple GUI for Fasm must have been hell for Thomasz.
Put simply, use Asm for everything that doesn't need to be pretty, for everything else, just use VB.NET(It's ssooo much freakin' easier). I haven't even learned how to code a GUI because VB.NET was the first language I learned(I know, I'm such a noob Smile), and after you know it can be so easy, you don't really see a need to take the time to learn the other way.
Asm is the most fun though.
Post 02 Feb 2010, 04:26
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17259
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
Can we say the AT&T syntax is another language from MASM/TASM/fasm?
Post 02 Feb 2010, 04:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
roboman



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 122
Location: USA
roboman
RS-274D
fasm
a couple flavors of basic
and a couple control languages, actualy more like scripts

Use to play with Pascal and C. Played with all the 'dead' languages back in school, when they weren't dead Smile
Post 02 Feb 2010, 05:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 4237
Location: 2018
edfed
revolution wrote:
Can we say the AT&T syntax is another language from MASM/TASM/fasm?

no, but ...yes?

NO. it is asm.
asm covers asm for every CPU,and from every compilers.
asm is always asm
Post 02 Feb 2010, 06:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17259
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
Can we say that fasm macros are a different language from MASM macros? Or that fasm macros are a different language from asm?
Post 02 Feb 2010, 07:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
We're back to the fundamental question: what is the definition of a programming language? Gosh, someone would come along and say something like Turing completeness. Confused Formal definition? Who cares?! Wink

I know quite a number of programming languages:
- BASIC
- VB
- Pascal
- Cobol
- C / C++ (just a bit)
- java (just a bit)
- ABAP/4 (I used to make money out of it! Razz)
- ASM (mainly on DOS)

But I have not touched any of them for quite a long time ...

In fact, I'd like to do some ASM programming on Linux (because my netbook is running Linux). But I really don't know where to start ... Confused Wink
Post 02 Feb 2010, 09:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 4237
Location: 2018
edfed
revolution wrote:
Can we say that fasm macros are a different language from MASM macros? Or that fasm macros are a different language from asm?

arghhhh!
Post 02 Feb 2010, 14:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE



Joined: 21 Jul 2003
Posts: 2911
Location: [RSP+8*5]
bitRAKE
Every programmer should try each programming paradigm - some have the effect of turning everything you know on edge. Very Happy Languages (FASM, Mathematica, etc...) that include multiple paradigms are fun, too.
Post 02 Feb 2010, 17:10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc



Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 2466
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Borsuc
ASM & C for me Smile
Tyler wrote:
All languages are useful, otherwise they would not exist. Asm and C are good for things that require speed or low level access to hardware. However, Asm and C are not the types of languages best for GUI. How much are you really gonna gain from calling a WINAPI funtion that was probably coded in C++ from Asm? Not much. IMO, if mono ever gets to a point that it can be reliable, .NET is/will be the best language for GUI. Asm is more fun than all the rest, but I imagine just coding the simple GUI for Fasm must have been hell for Thomasz.
Put simply, use Asm for everything that doesn't need to be pretty, for everything else, just use VB.NET(It's ssooo much freakin' easier). I haven't even learned how to code a GUI because VB.NET was the first language I learned(I know, I'm such a noob Smile), and after you know it can be so easy, you don't really see a need to take the time to learn the other way.
Asm is the most fun though.
OMG the bloat Evil or Very Mad

_________________
Previously known as The_Grey_Beast
Post 02 Feb 2010, 17:58
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
0x4e71



Joined: 25 Feb 2004
Posts: 50
0x4e71
I'm a big believer of the right-tool-for-the-right-job approach. On top of that, as others have mentioned, it's a good thing for a programmer to try different paradigms.
Programming is very far from being my main activity but in 2009 alone, between work and hobby, I can recall using the following:

- Java
- Perl
- Flex/Actionscript
- Javascript
- XSLT/Xpath
- BPML
- PHP
- Windows CMD batch, Unix bash
- Applescript
- x86/64 asm of course Smile
- C++
- probably more..

I can't say I've enjoyed them all Wink but yeah.. useful it was.

Cheers.
Post 02 Feb 2010, 20:44
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DustWolf



Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 373
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
DustWolf
YONG wrote:
I know quite a number of programming languages:


I think you kinda missed the point of this question by assuming it was something you've seen before. I could be wrong though.

From the way the questions are laid out (I assume this is not simply a case of poor grammar) I would conclude that the author's intention was to ask how many programming languages would you use at the same time on a single project.


I actually mix 3 or more programing languages per project, for example I have used the following combinations on projects I have completed:
* FASM, PHP, XSLT (Linux, webserver setting)
* PHP, Bash, XSLT (Linux, webserver setting)
* TestPoint, FASM, VB (Win32, hardware interface app)

Each language is good for something (FASM for fast and predictable/reliable code libraries, PHP or VB for quick and dirty code, XSLT for processing potentially messy input, Bash for stream processing), so I mix them to get where I want when I want.


I really wonder if most of you actually program like that. People always viewed my mixing approach to be somewhat eccentric. Most other programmers I know will always try to do everything in one language, even if it costs them an arm and a leg to get it done.

LP,
Jure
Post 02 Feb 2010, 21:32
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
DustWolf



Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 373
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
DustWolf
YONG wrote:
In fact, I'd like to do some ASM programming on Linux (because my netbook is running Linux). But I really don't know where to start ... Confused Wink


A terminal and http://sourceforge.net/projects/lscr/!

Linux FASM programming with syscalls is pure joy, trust me. You can do a lot of very cool, usable-in-a-modern-world stuff with Linux syscalls and because all stuff in Linux is basically fancy utilities that take stdin, do something and give stdout and that can be used in everything from Bluetooth devices to dynamic webpages.

LP,
Jure
Post 02 Feb 2010, 21:46
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
TmX



Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 821
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
TmX
Python for practical stuffs
Haskell/Lisp for... errmm... theoritical stuffs

Wink
Post 03 Feb 2010, 14:59
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
0x4e71



Joined: 25 Feb 2004
Posts: 50
0x4e71
I think DustWolf is right about the question posed by the OP.

I personally advocate mixing different languages and have done so many times with excellent results. Again: the right tool for the right job.

Insisting on doing absolutely everything in a particular language is not advisable IMO, unless very specific goals/constraints force you to do so (and that happens too, of course). As a possible rule of thumb: when the language forces you to sacrifice clarity, it can be a sign that it's time to switch from hammer to screwdriver.
Post 03 Feb 2010, 18:12
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
bitshifter



Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 764
Location: Massachusetts, USA
bitshifter
0x4e71 said:
...can be a sign that it's time to switch from hammer to screwdriver.

LOL
My screwdriver says "Not to be used as a prybar"
but my prybar does not say "No to be used as a screwdriver"
And my hammer, well i guess it can be used for anything...
LOL
Post 03 Feb 2010, 19:45
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
0x4e71



Joined: 25 Feb 2004
Posts: 50
0x4e71
bitshifter wrote:
0x4e71 said:
...can be a sign that it's time to switch from hammer to screwdriver.

LOL
My screwdriver says "Not to be used as a prybar"
but my prybar does not say "No to be used as a screwdriver"
And my hammer, well i guess it can be used for anything...
LOL


LOL. I used to own a scythe. It carried the sign "Not be used as nail ciipper" Very Happy
Post 03 Feb 2010, 20:43
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
DustWolf wrote:
YONG wrote:
I know quite a number of programming languages:
I think you kinda missed the point of this question by assuming it was something you've seen before. I could be wrong though.

From the way the questions are laid out (I assume this is not simply a case of poor grammar) I would conclude that the author's intention was to ask how many programming languages would you use at the same time on a single project.
Oops, I'm so sorry. Embarassed Unlike you, I could not read edfed's mind, and I completely misunderstood his meaning. Embarassed Things like that do happen to a dummy like me. Wink
Post 04 Feb 2010, 06:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
DustWolf wrote:
YONG wrote:
In fact, I'd like to do some ASM programming on Linux (because my netbook is running Linux). But I really don't know where to start ... Confused Wink
A terminal and http://sourceforge.net/projects/lscr/!
Thanks, I'll take a look at the package later. Wink
Post 04 Feb 2010, 06:45
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc



Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 2466
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Borsuc
stdin/stdout only??? what about GUI apps? Confused
Post 04 Feb 2010, 20:53
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Copyright © 1999-2020, Tomasz Grysztar.

Powered by rwasa.