flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > On trusting open source softwares

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
TmX

TmX
revolution wrote:
How come no one mentions Apple? Apple is worse than MS with regard to secrecy. Wink

er... the XNU is open source, right?
Post 02 Feb 2010, 15:48
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
TmX wrote:
er... the XNU is open source, right?
Oh, I forgot about the MAC. Embarassed I was thinking of the iP*ds and iPhones and other locked devices where Apple decide what you can and cannot run.
Post 02 Feb 2010, 16:09
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
DustWolf wrote:
As for the rest of the argument, I prefer my back-doors open-source. That way if I want to be paranoid I can check them out, rather than trusting Microsoft to be honest and non-abusive towards their costumers. Think of the odds.
It also happens that Windows is extremely popular... and there's a huge interest in revealing Microsoft mistakes. They would get extreme bad publicity, like they did with the secret "Firefox addon" on an update.

That is much more realistic than "checking the source code yourself FOR exploits (not just for 'learning')" which, really, nobody does it (by 'nobody' I of course mean 99%, since there's always the few who do).

Sony BMG installed rootkits with their music CDs once with autoruns to prevent sharing... needless to say they were forced to back off and take them out by bad publicity. Oh and yes, there was no source code available to examine... just popularity which means highly skilled security people/experts are INTERESTED in examining threats like that.

Post 02 Feb 2010, 18:10
DustWolf

DustWolf
As much as I hate starting up a conversation with YOU again...

Borsuc wrote:
That is much more realistic than "checking the source code yourself FOR exploits (not just for 'learning')" which, really, nobody does it (by 'nobody' I of course mean 99%, since there's always the few who do).

I did use the word "paranoid" didn't I? Most people are not paranoid. Some are. I know a few. They run FreeBSD and hand-pick and read every piece of software they ever run. Personally I think it's a huge handicap, but if they want to be paranoid it's their choice.

I like it when people have a choice. All people I know like having a choice too.

Borsuc wrote:
Sony BMG installed rootkits with their music CDs once with autoruns to prevent sharing... needless to say they were forced to back off and take them out by bad publicity. Oh and yes, there was no source code available to examine... just popularity which means highly skilled security people/experts are INTERESTED in examining threats like that.

Most closed-source software has issues that nobody is aware of. Such is the nature of closed-source. A reason good enough to me.

LP,
Jure
Post 02 Feb 2010, 20:26
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
I think you kinda missed the point of the thread, but preachers always do that Razz

It's not about "open-source is worse than closed-source", it's about "open-source is not immune to backdoors". But of course for you it's always black and white: either something is "THE BEST" or it is "THE WORST". Just because something is open-source doesn't mean that there is no hidden stuff.

My argument was that popular software, such as Windows, is much less likely to have hidden backdoors without being detected by a third party. (note: I didn't say CLOSED software, it just happens that Windows is very popular)

Post 02 Feb 2010, 23:15
DustWolf

DustWolf
Borsuc wrote:
My argument was that popular software, such as Windows, is much less likely to have hidden backdoors without being detected by a third party. (note: I didn't say CLOSED software, it just happens that Windows is very popular)

While this may be true, it is also quite likely that any hidden backdoors in closed-source will be known by those who will abuse them rather than those who are going to fix them or work around them.

LP,
Jure
Post 02 Feb 2010, 23:46
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Except if it's popular and the company in question depends on good publicity Wink
Post 03 Feb 2010, 00:09
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Open source only gives you the ability to modify and recompile stuff to your taste. It gives absolutely no assurance whatsoever of the code being benign.

Lots of stuff can be deliberately included and you would never know: http://underhanded.xcott.com/?page_id=2
Post 11 Mar 2010, 18:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
Borsuc wrote:
Except if it's popular and the company in question depends on good publicity Wink

Kinda late, but i must point out that MS doesn't need good publicity. Only people who have the guts to demand other products will use something other than windows. For the other 99% of the world, windows will continue to rule them no matter what.
Post 24 Mar 2010, 11:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: