flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > [NO TROLL] upload and download...

UPLOAD vs DOWNLOAD ideal?
10 MBytes - 10 MBytes
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
100 MBytes - 100 Mbytes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
30 Mbits - 0,9Mbits
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
0.9 Mbits - 30 Mbits
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8 MBytes - 8 MBytes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1000 MBytes - 1000 MBytes
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
edfed

edfed
hi all!
(for the poll, you cannot say there are no choices...)
now, it is time to speak about: UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD rates.

what is the problem you can say?
the problem resume in one picture:
the low download is due to my PC (PIII@800MHz), on my netbookr, it is 30Megabits/s.
the upload is unchanged.

the solution in only one:

force ISP to open dataflows, and then, internet will be free.

a huge grow of the traffic will be, but a better internet for personnal use.

i presume it is to force people to circulate only via authorised high upload servers.

then, we are very easy to spy.

then, it is very easy for a hacker to take the control of a server that is located in a very big cluster, somewhere in a very big building, with a minimal team to maintain, and then take control on the clients connected to....

i presume this upload limit is made to control population easy.
why?
because if people stops to use the 'official' web panel (msn, facebook, youtube, megaupload, my space, skyblog, icq, google, yahoo, etc etc...)
they will have a better mind, and then, stop to be cows.

because if my upload = my download, i install linux now, i create my own server, without any http://stop to pay for domain name...
only the mac address, or IP v4 maximum. v6 if needed.

then, you will be able to share datas for real with other people all over the globe, in real time, with high data rate, imagine how it can be a problem for big brother.

OK to open download (HD TV Laughing)

/OK for open upload (DIY Net TV)
Post 14 Jan 2010, 02:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I'll copy&paste something I've posted in a local forum recently:

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

(When the tests were made, a computer in the LAN was uploading at 13 KB/s, real upload is about ~65,5KB)

Although there may by some true in your theory, another reason for this asymmetry is to assign more physical bandwidth to download than upload because it is expected you want faster download. In a symmetric line it would be harder to attain high download speeds.

In my case I have to point out that only TCP port 80 (and specifically HTTP protocol because the transparent proxies don't allow any other traffic) runs at 2.5 mbps max, the rest works at ~1 mbps max. Since I pay for a 512 kbps I don't have much to complaint for Laughing

PS: Although curiously the company sells the 512 kbps and 1024 kbps service at the very same price... The company is the very same one that authored the stupid captcha I posted about in another thread.
Post 14 Jan 2010, 03:20
edfed

edfed
Quote:

another reason for this asymmetry is to assign more physical bandwidth to download than upload because it is expected you want faster download. In a symmetric line it would be harder to attain high download speeds.

this is what i don't understand... how a simple wire can cary more in a direction than an other?

if the problem is the price, they don't have to be affraid, if they do the same hardware for every connection point (a super standardintegrated opensource circuit for example) made by at least the 100 more powerfull IC manufacturers over the globe, it will cost approximatelly a lot less than the actual Internet connecting people version.
Post 14 Jan 2010, 03:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

this is what i don't understand... how a simple wire can cary more in a direction than an other?

Not sure if there are some other reasons but take in mind that at least ADSL assigns more bandwidth (frequency spectrum?) to the downstream and the line is full duplex. Assigning both directions the same bandwidth would be a waste of frequency space for most people as you usually download more than upload. Additionally, the bandwidth is subdivided in channels and not all of them are used (not sure about the highest speeds), the modem and the DSLAM negotiate the channels with less noise.
Post 14 Jan 2010, 03:57
roboman

roboman
3.1 and .35 here. We are glad for that, as we are out in a smallish town with farms and fields. Our ISP will give us faster speeds and give us higher upload speed if we want to pay for business service. As it is, my wife's business stuff is hosted on a large server with a fast connection and my hobby stuff is hosted on our isp's servers. I don't need a huge amount of upload speed (most of the time), since I'm not serving up files or web pages from our home computers.
Post 14 Jan 2010, 04:32
dosin

dosin

The company I have offers speeds up to 15mb/s as of right now..

The ideal speed/rate would be between 5-7 mb/s
that people are willing to pay for from what I see..

not so many go with 15mb/s unless they are downloading on a daily basis or gaming... even though it would be about $10 more for double your bandwidth...

just in surfing the web there is slite difference between 5 - 15mb/s..
no downloading ... forums,google,news... ect..
Post 14 Jan 2010, 05:58
Tyler

Tyler
ImageImage
Exactly what I pay for. Verizon offers 7.1MB down/768KB up for dsl and 50MB down/20MB up for fiber optic, but that's like $140 a month and what I have is all I need.
Post 14 Jan 2010, 07:54
Borsuc

Borsuc
alas low upload speed sucks for p2p, where the total download speed will be very limited (capped at total upload speed). Sad

Post 14 Jan 2010, 15:12
windwakr

windwakr
My upload speed isn't too bad, more than I'll ever need.
ImageImage

2.66Mb/s = ~340KB/s. I don't see a need for any higher upload, unless you use P2P or something.

Post 14 Jan 2010, 17:04
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
guess, i am the worst here.

Quote:

Pingtest.net requires Java for packet loss testing, but it does not appear to be installed in your browser. Click here for assistance.

ooops Embarassed
Post 14 Jan 2010, 20:04
edfed

edfed
windwakr wrote:

2.66Mb/s = ~340KB/s. I don't see a need for any higher upload, unless you use P2P or something.

yep.

any communication by voice or video is very poor because it is the case for everybody to be happy with a poor upload rate.

instead of concetrate effort of HDTV devellopement, they better do the uplaod the same as download.

for the moment, we cannot imagine what we can do with a really free internet, when speed rates will fly, we will find other ways to use IT.
Post 14 Jan 2010, 23:35
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
I really can't justify the added expense of a faster connection - only paying $20/month now.
(15ms ping is nice. Very Happy)
Post 15 Jan 2010, 03:14
Madis731

Madis731
ooh, is this a competition?

I answered 100/100 because by 2012 Estonia will have 100mbit in most homes.

Last edited by Madis731 on 15 Jan 2010, 07:31; edited 1 time in total
Post 15 Jan 2010, 07:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
windwakr

windwakr
Madis731 wrote:
ooh, is this a competition?

WOW! How much do you pay for that connection??

Post 15 Jan 2010, 07:30
Madis731

Madis731
Actually I'm at work now :S
at home#1 I have 12/1mbps, the home#2 I have 1/1mbps (that was the cheapest they offered Razz).

Actually for 50mbps sync would cost around $600 here.
Post 15 Jan 2010, 07:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
kalambong

kalambong
You guys are lucky !

In the country that I live, there is one ISP which monopolizes the telephone-ADSL business.

They charge us the user a lot of money but gives us almost nothing.

For example, the package that I signed up with them is supposed to be 2mbps. I say "supposed" because the best speedtest result I got is less than 1.5mbps download speed and about 150kbps upload speed.

And then there are very frequent line problems.

Without warning the speed can drop down to almost zero.

Many times when that happen the speed dropped so low that it is just impossible to do any speed test --- the browser just keeps loading and loading and then after a long while an error message.

There were couple of times I got 0.02 mbps or less, and that was for download speed.

Yes, a 2mbps ADSL package that is actually slower than a dial-up.
Post 15 Jan 2010, 12:24
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

In the country that I live, there is one ISP which monopolizes the telephone-ADSL business.

my country too!! Razz
and seldom cannot use also.
btw, my speed is on 3g, not through wire. :p
Post 15 Jan 2010, 13:12
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

For example, the package that I signed up with them is supposed to be 2mbps. I say "supposed" because the best speedtest result I got is less than 1.5mbps download speed and about 150kbps upload speed.

Perhaps they are giving you what exactly you paid for. That the line is 2 mbps down doesn't means you'll have that bandwidth for DATA download, you also have to consider the overhead created by all the layers. This is not the case of my ISP though, when they offer 512 kbps service, they are actually offering a 608 kbps service but the perceived download is 512 kbps because of the overhead.

ADSL service is also a monopoly here somehow, because although I can choose my ISP, the ADSL line is always from Telefonica (i.e., they don't rent the line like more serious countries do). The result is that when you have a problem you're doomed because the ISP and Telefonica will be blaming each other about the problem and you'll have to sign to Telefonica's ISP to get better service (which I'm fortunate that works reasonably well here, but in many other areas it is terrible).
Post 15 Jan 2010, 18:06

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: