flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Bochs wont open .bxrc on external drive.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tyler

Tyler
[edit]Was "Sending args to Wine, I'm trying to make FASMW open '"a"[/edit]
So far I've made it so that FASMW opens when an asm is clicked, but what would I put after the path to FASMW to send FASMW the path to the asm I clicked.
What do I need to put in the circled area for FASMW to open the file? Excuse my crappy editing. Smile

Description:
Filesize: 15.21 KB
Viewed: 5225 Time(s)

Screenshot-2.png

Last edited by Tyler on 12 May 2010, 02:01; edited 1 time in total
Post 02 Jan 2010, 23:31
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Tyler wrote:
What do I need to put in the circled area for FASMW to open the file?
%1
Post 02 Jan 2010, 23:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
Oh, you have spaces. Then you need to put quotes around the exe name and also for good measure put quotes around the %1 also.
Code:
"my path/my exe name.exe" "%1"    
Post 02 Jan 2010, 23:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tyler

Tyler
revolution wrote:

put quotes around the %1 also.

It works, thanks! That was literally the ONE thing that was holding me back from using Ubuntu all the time. Well... that and how ugly Wine's windows are, but I'm gonna get a theme, so that's not a problem anymore either.
Post 02 Jan 2010, 23:48
Borsuc

Borsuc
hmm I'm unfamiliar with wine but what has editing the registry got to do with it, can wine use the registry the same way as Windows? Thanks in advance.
Post 02 Jan 2010, 23:53
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Wine has its own regedit. And Tyler has to edit Wine's registry to be able to do whatever he wants to do with fasmw under Wine.
Post 03 Jan 2010, 02:29
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Tyler wrote:
and how ugly Wine's windows are

That's called Win9x style.
But you should see my flat, vector, fvwm window "decorations". Shocked

Last edited by ManOfSteel on 03 Jan 2010, 02:42; edited 1 time in total
Post 03 Jan 2010, 02:37
revolution

revolution
Screenshot please.
Post 03 Jan 2010, 02:42
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Here you go.

And no, the thick black thing is not the window borders. It's the background and the window has no borders.

Sexy, eh? Laughing

Description:
Filesize: 17.93 KB
Viewed: 5188 Time(s)

screenshot.png

Post 03 Jan 2010, 03:13
Tyler

Tyler
I would prefer that to ALL gray.
Do you know where to get a theme that is similar to Vista?
Post 03 Jan 2010, 13:03
Tyler

Tyler
Okay, I got Fasm working, but what about Bochs. It seems to have a problem with the space that Wine puts in the path to a bxrc. Example:"C: \path\bochsconfig.bxrc" I've tried %1: =% which (I think) should replace " " with "", but it doesn't. I'm not sure it is a space(isn't blatantly obvious from the picture), but that's the only thing I see that could cause this.

Description: Here's what Bochs is whining about and the important part of the registry.
Filesize: 91.44 KB
Viewed: 5153 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

Post 03 Jan 2010, 20:59
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Is there any *good* reason for using the Windows version of Bochs? Confused

Alternatively, you could also try Qemu. It only emulates kernel-level code, so it's generally much faster than Bochs.

As for your problem, I always use these tools from the shell/console (even under Windows) so I'm not sure. Try with %1 only.
Post 03 Jan 2010, 21:24
Tyler

Tyler
%1 only was my first guess, what you see above is my most recent attempt. I tried installing the Linux version, but I don't get how to install ".rpm"s, and I try to avoid consoles at all cost, unless I was the one that designed their function.
Post 03 Jan 2010, 21:49
Coddy41

Coddy41
You need to use a red hat based system like Redhat or fedora to install RPMs, Ubuntu only works with .deb you can convert .rpm to .deb with this:
http://www.howtoforge.com/converting_rpm_to_deb_with_alien

Last edited by Coddy41 on 03 Jan 2010, 23:07; edited 1 time in total
Post 03 Jan 2010, 22:20
DustWolf

DustWolf
Using Windows port of Bochs in Wine := FAIL

Being a kernel developer and not being comfortable with consoles := EPIC FAIL

I know a lot of people who do the same, but I insist: Learn Bash.

EDIT: On second thought, I think Bochs installs as a package in Ubuntu. Don't forget to work out the config file though (use gedit Laughing ) and install the VBIOS for bochs which comes in a seperate package.

EDIT2: Although it is obvious I am acting like a jerk, you may find some of this code usable http://bitbucket.org/dustwolf/microkernel/overview/. It's a kernel made to compile and run in Bochs under Linux, which initializes graphics mode ASAP while booting and has macros that let you display text in the GUI.

LP,
Jure
Post 03 Jan 2010, 23:04
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Try "%~1" -- this removes quotes around the argument so as to not have duplicate quotes. The NT command line has other useful features.
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/batchfiles.php

ManOfSteel wrote:
Wine has its own regedit. And Tyler has to edit Wine's registry to be able to do whatever he wants to do with fasmw under Wine.
Ok got it thanks.

Post 04 Jan 2010, 00:08
Tyler

Tyler
DustWolf wrote:

Using Windows port of Bochs in Wine := FAIL

Being a kernel developer and not being comfortable with consoles := EPIC FAIL

I know a lot of people who do the same, but I insist: Learn Bash.

I'm just now starting to use Linux(Ubuntu) primarily(dling Slack, maybe then I'll find a reason to learn bash more extensively), I've screwed around with bash, but have BY NO MEANS learned much.

It's not that I don't like terminals(I learned a bit of batch, that's where I got the "%variable:[char_to_replace]=[char_to_replace_with]), I just REALLY hate typing the same thing more than once. Example, program=reusable terminal=type EVERY instruction EVERY time(I tried bash scripting, didn't like it, will try again later)
Post 04 Jan 2010, 01:17
DustWolf

DustWolf
Tyler wrote:
I just REALLY hate typing the same thing more than once. Example, program=reusable terminal=type EVERY instruction EVERY time(I tried bash scripting, didn't like it, will try again later)

How much hard work is typing "make"?

Anyway, you can mostly use tab whenever you got to type something (type the first few letters then tab, it will autocomplete to what you had in mind and if it doesn't, just keep pressing tab) or use the up arrow. There are many shortcuts that make bash very convenient.

Also, if you use configuration files (particularly for Bochs) wisely, you won't have to type much either way (just "./bochs" without parameters).

Ubuntu is a nice place to start if you're new to Linux. Slackware is the kind of distro where you have to do everything yourself (per their philosophy so that you are forced to learn how it works; not something you'd enjoy if you don't like typing in terminals). Ubuntu installs functioning with everything you typically need out-of-the-box and it comes with a package manager where you can just tick what you need from a list (including, say, Bochs) and it will install, with no additional typing or thinking, automatically.

LP,
Jure
Post 04 Jan 2010, 03:09
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Tyler

Tyler
"make" and then what? I tried make for every makefile in every rpm I've every tried to install. What's the file I should "make." As in, what comes after the "." or what are they conventionally named?

As for learning bash, I'm working on it. It's not that I don't want to, it's that I would rather devote my time to asm instead. I kinda like screwing with terminals(I really enjoy the feel of awesomeness only a root terminal has, TOTAL CONTROL!!! Twisted Evil ) when I'm not focused on other stuff. I was really interested in batch programming until I found asm and linux, kinda seems useless now though(when comparing the two I prefer bash).

The only thing I don't like about terminals(other than typing, which isn't too bad really) is that the apps are made by many people, each with their own style and preferred syntax(some use -(abbreviation) some use -(whole command) and some use the same without the "-"). I'm a person of structure and pattern, and thus hate not being able to see a universal pattern in commands.
Post 04 Jan 2010, 04:54
DustWolf

DustWolf
Tyler wrote:
"make" and then what? I tried make for every makefile in every rpm I've every tried to install. What's the file I should "make." As in, what comes after the "." or what are they conventionally named?

Uhm to answer the question... make is actually a program you need installed that interprets the makefile. You really just have to type "make" once you have it. No ".".

The makefile is named literately that, "makefile" or "Makefile" (whichever you prefer). The short short version of the howto is... the syntax is:

Code:
blah:
         bash command 1
         bash command 2
         bash command 3    

...then if you use:
Code:
$ make blah    

It will run those commands. If you put "all" instead of "blah", just running "make" as such will suffice.

Technically makefiles are less flexible than bash scripts (in terms of scripting) and aren't really made for building from FASM (made to work with C object files and can skip over those which are already compiled) but it's very clean. Smile

Quote:
I kinda like screwing with terminals(I really enjoy the feel of awesomeness only a root terminal has, TOTAL CONTROL!!! Twisted Evil ) when I'm not focused on other stuff.

root & FASM & syscalls is even more Twisted Evil. Wink

Quote:
I was really interested in batch programming until I found asm and linux, kinda seems useless now though(when comparing the two I prefer bash).

The only thing I don't like about terminals(other than typing, which isn't too bad really) is that the apps are made by many people, each with their own style and preferred syntax(some use -(abbreviation) some use -(whole command) and some use the same without the "-"). I'm a person of structure and pattern, and thus hate not being able to see a universal pattern in commands.

The general idea of bash scripting is to make things easier to do, not harder. As with all development, the idea is that you come up with a set of developer tools you get used to using, memorize how to use them and then avoid everything else.

...okay maybe that's exactly what you were doing, but using the windows port of Bochs in Wine really was a bad idea. Sometimes we get stuck doing things in programming languages we like that are really not suited for them. For example like my friend, who rather used a FASM to make CGI plugins with Java applets to do web development instead of just using PHP and Javascript like everybody else. Needless to say, it was a nightmare. Don't do that. Make it clean instead.

LP,
Jure
Post 04 Jan 2010, 21:34

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: