flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Why does my computer reboot while booting?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tyler

Tyler
This is not really programming related, so I put it here, move if necessary.

Since I installed Ubuntu(and GRUB), occasionally Windows will reboot while booting. It gets to the part where the green bar is going across the bottom of the screen, the bar will slow down/stop for about a sec. and then it goes back to the Manufacturer screen and GRUB.

Anyone here have an idea why? It usually happens after updates in Windows or changes requiring a reboot(and recently, when I ran my Windows partition in a VM, not gonna do that again, I got the blue screen of death and it rebooted about 50 times).
Post 01 Jan 2010, 07:03
kalambong

kalambong
That happens when some sectors on HD being corrupted. It happened to me before.

End up I had to reinstall the Win and then the Lin.
Post 01 Jan 2010, 07:23
Tyler

Tyler
So it's an ongoing problem, or has the damage already been done?
Post 01 Jan 2010, 07:27
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Spinrite may help if you need to recover some data. But it can only be a stopgap measure. If your drive is faulty best to replace it before it gets worse.
Post 01 Jan 2010, 08:01
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
From Ubuntu, dd the entire disk for bad blocks (e.g. dd if=/dev/your_disk of=/dev/null bs=1m).
S.M.A.R.T. attributes (e.g. smartmontools) can sometimes show early signs of failure.

Also run memtest86+ for at least 10 passes just in case it's memory-related.
Post 01 Jan 2010, 10:57
DustWolf

DustWolf
ManOfSteel wrote:
From Ubuntu, dd the entire disk for bad blocks (e.g. dd if=/dev/your_disk of=/dev/null bs=1m).
S.M.A.R.T. attributes (e.g. smartmontools) can sometimes show early signs of failure.

Also run memtest86+ for at least 10 passes just in case it's memory-related.

Run memtest first!

In smartmontools, look for the attributes containing the keyword REALLOCATED, if the number is between 1 and 300, or if it is slowly growing trough several days, your disk is going to die. Do not believe SMART overall assessment (shows as OK often even after the disk is dead, criteria set by disk manufacturer). Your warranty will apply if reallocated sectors is > 0 (may take some coaxing with shops that test on their own and do not know what SMART is, but it's always worked for me & Seagate). Note that SMART diagnostics are done in disk firmware and other computer malfunctions will not affect results, if they are readable, nor will the HDD LED light up while testing.

Can also use ddrescue /dev/harddisk myfile.img myfile.log to create a copy of the entire drive's contens (note if you have a 160 GB disk this creates a 160 GB file, so have enough space first).

ddrescue is intended for this type of recovery and will try hard very automatically, set and forget.

LP,
Jure
Post 02 Jan 2010, 19:52
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: