flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Please do not port software to Windows!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
TmX

TmX
Quote:
At least, do not port my software to Windows.

I don't want any of my work to give anyone a reason to support companies like Microsoft who try to limit people's freedoms.

http://www.fefe.de/nowindows/

I know some Linux/Mac users who don't care about Windows.
And this guy, he is taking a strong stance, right? Wink

Last edited by TmX on 19 Dec 2009, 01:55; edited 1 time in total
Post 18 Dec 2009, 16:21
Borsuc

Borsuc
http://www.fefe.de/nowindows wrote:
No such file or directory.
Post 18 Dec 2009, 16:22
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
http://www.fefe.de/nowindows/

The final slash makes a difference.
Post 18 Dec 2009, 16:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
http://www.fefe.de/nowindows/ wrote:
They even try to limit what you can do with the software you rightfully bought from them.
Factual error there. You can never buy MS software, you only get a license to use it. A seemingly subtle, but very important, difference.
Post 18 Dec 2009, 16:29
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TmX

TmX
revolution wrote:
Factual error there. You can never buy MS software, you only get a license to use it. A seemingly subtle, but very important, difference.

Ah good catch. I didn't notice that.
Post 18 Dec 2009, 16:36
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
GNU/Linux and *BSD FTW. Yeah, let's bomb the Redmond command HQ with a tactical nuke.

No, waaait! ABORT! I totally forgot 99.99% of computer users are computer illiterates who ignore the difference between the OS and the CPU, who can only use point-and-click systems such as Windows or just a few as-good-as-Windows GNU/Linux distros, who would choose transparency and 3D effects over higher security and stability any day of the year, and have apparently never been to school to be able to RTFM. My bad. Embarassed
Post 18 Dec 2009, 21:30
Borsuc

Borsuc
ManOfSteel wrote:
and have apparently never been to school to be able to RTFM.
I've been to school and still don't like to read manuals, waste of time. A software should be very self-explanatory by itself. Manuals should only be read when you seek advanced functionality, not just getting your computer up to work.

Not that Windows is, mind you. If I wasn't experienced with it I would have been completely lost in all the registry and crap like that.

Post 18 Dec 2009, 23:23
kohlrak

kohlrak
My dad can't figure out how to login to ubuntu, and can't tell when to double click and when to single click in both windows and ubuntu. Concepts like minimize, maximize, and closing are quite far out of reach for him. This guy isn't that old, he's only in his 50s. Is my dad stupid, or is there no software out there that actually explains itself and makes sense without manual reading and/or training?
Post 19 Dec 2009, 01:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
TmX

TmX
ManOfSteel wrote:
who can only use point-and-click systems such as Windows or just a few as-good-as-Windows GNU/Linux distros

I use both.
Windows on the laptop, and Linux on the desktop.
Win-win solution, I guess.

Smile
Post 19 Dec 2009, 02:03
revolution

revolution
TmX wrote:
I use both.
Windows on the laptop, and Linux on the desktop.
Win-win solution, I guess.
Win-Lin solution Razz
Post 19 Dec 2009, 02:06
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

My dad can't figure out how to login to ubuntu, and can't tell when to double click and when to single click in both windows and ubuntu. Concepts like minimize, maximize, and closing are quite far out of reach for him. This guy isn't that old, he's only in his 50s. Is my dad stupid, or is there no software out there that actually explains itself and makes sense without manual reading and/or training?

last time, i suggest that OS should be made based on common sense in a # irc room, and they laugh at me. i seriously believe that, all things should be made based on common sense, based on existence rules so people could just progress instead of learning something new daily which is too much time consuming.
Post 19 Dec 2009, 05:19
kohlrak

kohlrak
Well, ultimately, the problem is that even under the hood things don't make sense. Just think of all those standards that don't make sense (double endian numbers in ISO specification anyone?)... Programmers gotta start making sense to each other before we can make sense to our customers.
Post 19 Dec 2009, 06:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
The PROBLEM, the freaking problem for them is that they THINK that "making sense" of "being intuitive" is to be SHINY AND BLING. Both Linux guys and M$. FUCK.

For them it's either BLING or TERMINAL, WTF? Mad
Post 19 Dec 2009, 16:36
TmX

TmX
Borsuc wrote:
The PROBLEM, the freaking problem for them is that they THINK that "making sense" of "being intuitive" is to be SHINY AND BLING. Both Linux guys and M$. FUCK.

For them it's either BLING or TERMINAL, WTF? Mad

Compiz Fusion is not for the sake of "being intuitive".
It's just an eye candy. Yeah it looks cool. I sometimes turn it on when I'm bored.

And the terminal, erm sometimes the commands are not intutitive, so you need to dig up the manuals. But once you used to it, it can be very helpful.
One more thing. If you don't like using terminal, there's a GUI, right?

Wink
Post 19 Dec 2009, 18:22
Borsuc

Borsuc
yeah there's a gui but unfortunately for them gui means bling Sad
Post 19 Dec 2009, 23:52
revolution

revolution
The "bling" thing brings in the masses. Without the masses computer hardware and software would thousands of times more expensive.

So if you want cheap hardware and software, then you have to have the "bling".

Facts of life can sometimes be hard to accept.
Post 20 Dec 2009, 00:22
kohlrak

kohlrak
Quote:
And the terminal, erm sometimes the commands are not intutitive, so you need to dig up the manuals. But once you used to it, it can be very helpful.

And amusing... I find the "touch" command very funny. When i first looked at it, my mind went into the gutter. Some fun conversations to be had there... I remember talking to one guy on IRC (or perhaps XMPP) and we talked about it and other commands not making sense, "it touches the file." And of course, to learn how to use it you use, "man touch."
Post 20 Dec 2009, 00:39
TmX

TmX
a bit off topic:
25 Reasons to Convert to Linux

given those 25 reasons, should I migrate to Linux completely, and say goodbye to Windows?
Post 20 Dec 2009, 09:08
DOS386

DOS386
Quote:
( 15 ) Linux is generally faster for a given set of hardware specifications. This is due to greater optimization of the source code, including far less code bloat.

( 18 ) Linux reduces the need to upgrade or replace hardware when upgrading to newer versions. This is because its code is very efficient and compact, thus allowing it to work effectively on older computers that are not suitable for the newest versions of Microsoft Windows.

At least 2 are invalid.
Post 20 Dec 2009, 10:26
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
How so? I can't talk about GNU/Linux objectively, but FreeBSD fits well here. And even though *some* GNU applications *are* bloated, AFAIK some GNU/Linux distros still have good performances because they're designed with performance in mind and not bling graphical interfaces.

Pt.15: After months of daily use, FreeBSD still loads within 35-40 seconds (menu delays and DHCP lease requests included) while Windows takes at least 50 seconds at first and slows down considerably with time (over a minute).
As for post-startup work, it never slows down after hours of intensive work using many different applications. Everything is as smooth as or smoother than under Windows.

Pt.18: It is true because you can choose lightweight GNU/Linux distros and with *BSD systems you can build the entire setup yourself, choose every application and customize every bit to make it lightweight and fast.
I can use the 1-month-old latest FreeBSD release on an old PII the same way I can use... Windows 95/98. OTOH Windows 2000 takes ages to load on that machine and is very slow even after disabling all the services I don't need and optimizing swapping, memory usage, etc. I somehow doubt I could *install* Windows 7, let alone run it.
Even on my "newest" machines I wouldn't be able to run the latest versions of Windows.
Post 20 Dec 2009, 14:39

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: