flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > What Linux to try?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
bitshifter

bitshifter
Hello
I never tried any of the Linux OS's.
Right now i have about 10 PC's and want to give each a different OS.
Is there a small 32bit GUI version you might suggest?
Open source is desired but not necessary...

Post 01 Dec 2009, 01:35
windwakr

windwakr
I've played around with Ubuntu before, it seems pretty good. It is pretty small(by my definition), at only around a 700MB download.

Post 01 Dec 2009, 02:22
Tyler

Tyler
Ubuntu, to my knowledge it has the most software available. It pretty fast too, processor = 2.1ghz(single core amd64) Ubuntu start up = 30sec Windows = 1-1.5min.

Ubuntu is Debian based, I don't know much about it, but I'm willing to bet it's worth looking into.

The only problem is that fasm is only available in cmd line for Ubuntu (*cough* someone wanna fix that *cough*).Smile

If you're concerned with installing(partitioning and all) it's completely idiot proof for Ubuntu. If your gonna get it, you should know it's recently updated (9.05 I think) and access you NFTS partition too. If you have a 64bit processor get 64bit Ubuntu, I've read a lot of posts worrying about tracking down drivers, I've had no such problem.

If you're not ready to commit you could always dl a live disk(every Ubuntu disk has the option to boot w/o install).

Check this out http://www.linux.org/dist/
Post 01 Dec 2009, 03:22
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Although not the smallest go the Ubuntu path as suggested above (or even Xubuntu but if possible stick to plain Ubuntu). It is very simple to use, not like its parent distro Debian which cares a shit about newcomers (and to some extent to knowledgeable people just willing to get theirs desktop environment working pleasantly).
Post 01 Dec 2009, 03:29
kohlrak

kohlrak
Quote:
If you're concerned with installing(partitioning and all) it's completely idiot proof for Ubuntu. If your gonna get it, you should know it's recently updated (9.05 I think) and access you NFTS partition too. If you have a 64bit processor get 64bit Ubuntu, I've read a lot of posts worrying about tracking down drivers, I've had no such problem.

The drivers problem is for ancient hardware, video cards, and printers mostly.

Quote:
If you're not ready to commit you could always dl a live disk(every Ubuntu disk has the option to boot w/o install).

Not true anymore. Last disk that i know of that had a live disk was 8.04 (LTS release). Though, i didn't check if 9.10's was live or not. Either way, it doesn't matter, much. If it doesn't, you can burn the LTS version and aside from a few software packages, there aren't many differences.

Quote:
Although not the smallest go the Ubuntu path as suggested above (or even Xubuntu but if possible stick to plain Ubuntu). It is very simple to use, not like its parent distro Debian which cares a shit about newcomers (and to some extent to knowledgeable people just willing to get theirs desktop environment working pleasantly).

I assume you mean Canonical and not the community... For example, I had a faulty gnome-power-manager configuration, and i went in to #ubuntu on freenode and asked if someone could point me to the config files. Sure enough, no help. I even went into #gnome, and i couldn't even get a response there. I would gladly give a few more examples, but honestly it'd be pointless. The trick is, people will only help you if your problem they can easily guess the answer to.

Quote:

Find me a lawyer and a closed source version of linux and i'll make you a rich man.
Post 01 Dec 2009, 04:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:
Though, i didn't check if 9.10's was live or not.
Yes it is, you have the option at boot but actually if you select to not install Ubuntu you'll still be offered with a desktop icon to start the installation so the boot option is just for speed up purposes.
Quote:
I assume you mean Canonical and not the community... For example, I had a faulty gnome-power-manager configuration, and i went in to #ubuntu on freenode and asked if someone could point me to the config files. Sure enough, no help. I even went into #gnome, and i couldn't even get a response there. I would gladly give a few more examples, but honestly it'd be pointless. The trick is, people will only help you if your problem they can easily guess the answer to.
I mean the way the software is constructed, in Ubuntu is darn simple to install nVidia drivers, on Debian, unless finally changed, it is not so direct.

I think I never asked for help in any of the communities, I always asked a friend or searched the solution on Internet so I can't tell how helpful them are but I'm aware them are no so much at times when your problem is actually a design flaw or bug that them fail to acknowledge just because OSS_is_flawless(tm). (Is really asking too much to add a stop button in Totem which is more natural to users instead of only a pause button that can't leave all people happy when you are playing a stream?).
Post 01 Dec 2009, 04:54
Tyler

Tyler
kohlrak wrote:

Quote:

Not true anymore. Last disk that i know of that had a live disk was 8.04 (LTS release). Though, i didn't check if 9.10's was live or not. Either way, it doesn't matter, much. If it doesn't, you can burn the LTS version and aside from a few software packages, there aren't many differences.

I misspoke, I meant all 9.10 versions, they made a version for netbooks. I installed 9.10 about a month ago (first time I've used a Linux OS).
Post 01 Dec 2009, 05:21
Azu

Azu
kohlrak wrote:

Quote:

Find me a lawyer and a closed source version of linux and i'll make you a rich man.
It's called OSX and it sucks almost as much as Windows.

Post 01 Dec 2009, 08:50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Azu wrote:
It's called OSX

Not really.
Post 01 Dec 2009, 11:14
Azu

Azu
ManOfSteel wrote:
Azu wrote:
It's called OSX

Not really.
Ya really. Unless you mean literally the one and only Linux kernel (which obviously can't be closed source).

Post 01 Dec 2009, 11:20
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
No really. Razz

Linux is a kernel. A Linux-based distro is GNU/Linux.
MacOS is not a Linux distro, hasn't much to do with GNU and its kernel is not Linux. MacOS has Mach kernel code, FreeBSD code, NetBSD code, NeXT code and Apple code. AFAIK, all it has in common with Linux is POSIX compliance and UNIX userland command-line utilities (that obviously no one who use MacOS use, hehe).

And it sucks so much because of the bling bling, inefficient FS and many design errors everywhere in the user interface and GUI system tools.
Post 01 Dec 2009, 12:27
Azu

Azu
I consider the *BSDs and *NIXs as related kernels (since they are all UNIX-like), and OSX is based on a *BSD, hence my reply. I know it isn't Linux itself, but I think it is related enough to answer his request.

Post 01 Dec 2009, 12:33
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
However your "I consider the *BSDs and *NIXs as related kernels" is hiding the fact that them use different licenses, an aspect very important for the lawyer to know before start suing.
Post 01 Dec 2009, 12:43
Azu

Azu
Well there's only one Linux and it has an open source license so what do you want?

Post 01 Dec 2009, 12:46
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Yes, reply whatever you want Azu...
Post 01 Dec 2009, 12:49
Azu

Azu
No I'm asking what you want. Hence the question mark.
Post 01 Dec 2009, 12:51
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Quote:

The only problem is that fasm is only available in cmd line for Ubuntu (*cough* someone wanna fix that *cough*).

You can run fasmw pretty well in Ubuntu using wine libs or in a virtualBox or Qemu virtual machine.

bitshifter, if you want to test some non-linux related open source OS, you could give Haiku-os a try (just for testing purposes because is an alpha release)
Post 01 Dec 2009, 13:59
mattst88

mattst88
Azu: do us a favor and shut it. You're wrong and even acknowledge this fact.
Post 01 Dec 2009, 15:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TmX

TmX
bitshifter wrote:
Hello
Is there a small 32bit GUI version you might suggest?

Damn Small Linux, Puppy Linux, or SLAX.
Post 01 Dec 2009, 15:44
Azu

Azu
mattst88 wrote:
Azu: do us a favor and shut it. You're wrong and even acknowledge this fact.
No, you shut it. OSX is in the same family as the Linux kernel (UNIX-like). Go look it up if you don't believe me. I'm not sure what your problem with me is and quite frankly I don't care.

Post 01 Dec 2009, 17:33

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: