flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Immortality

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
YONG

YONG
Wow! What a big topic! Razz

Take a look at the below article first.

Turritopsis nutricula

See what we'll get.

Wink
Post 13 Nov 2009, 10:45
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MHajduk

MHajduk
In my opinion, the way to immortality doesn't lead through so-called "reverse" of the life cycle (it's only change of the form of the organism). We should learn how to avoid our DNA to accumulate various damages, what is the real meaning of the word "aging".
Post 13 Nov 2009, 11:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ass0

ass0
You can smash it and it dies, it just can't die for a natural way, but the bad thing is that they are so different to us.

Moreover if scientists get the formula, it would be chaos.
Post 13 Nov 2009, 11:10
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Before you can start talking about immortality you need to define what "you" are.

Are "you" just your thoughts and memories? Or are "you" merely a mechanical/organic container (a body)? Or both?

If you could copy all of your thoughts and memories into another container (i.e. another body (or perhaps a computer)) then are there now two of "you"?
Post 13 Nov 2009, 11:15
ass0

ass0
look for this bulletin:

Reversing the Life Cycle: Medusae Transforming into
Polyps and Cell Transdifferentiation in Turritopsis
nutricula (Cnidaria, Hydrozoa)

It's a very nice info about and it was released in 1996 xD.
Post 13 Nov 2009, 11:16
MHajduk

MHajduk
revolution wrote:
If you could copy all of your thoughts and memories into another container (i.e. another body (or perhaps a computer)) then are there now two of "you"?
Haha, I'm too egoistic to tolerate two or more copies of "me". Laughing
Post 13 Nov 2009, 11:22
revolution

revolution
MHajduk wrote:
revolution wrote:
So you think that the thoughts and memories are enough to define "you"? Your answer indicates that a different external body would constitute another valid "you".
Post 13 Nov 2009, 11:24
ass0

ass0
I doubt that Jellyfish can retain any knowledge, It is like a deep-freezed HD.

Last edited by ass0 on 13 Nov 2009, 11:33; edited 2 times in total
Post 13 Nov 2009, 11:30
MHajduk

MHajduk
revolution wrote:
MHajduk wrote:
revolution wrote:
So you think that the thoughts and memories are enough to define "you". Your answer indicates that a different external body would constitute another valid you.
Not exactly. You should add here ideal copy of the body (the same DNA).

But notice, that since the moment of the "copying" these "copies" will be completely autonomic organisms with different paths of life (something like twins). Wink

As an original, I will not tolerate that someone else can claim being "me". Laughing
Post 13 Nov 2009, 11:33
revolution

revolution
Okay, so instead of copying, how about transferral? Let's pretend that your current body is damaged and you have access to transfer technology to put your current state of thoughts and memories into a different body. Now, is this new thing/person/whatever still "you"? Or has the old "you" now gone and a completely new person created?

And for fun, consider what happens if this new body is of a different gender than your original Razz
Post 13 Nov 2009, 12:11
MHajduk

MHajduk
revolution wrote:
Now, is this new thing/person/whatever still "you"? Or has the old "you" now gone and a completely new person created?
If the old body would be completely disintegrated then I can accept such situation. Wink
revolution wrote:
And for fun, consider what happens if this new body is of a different gender than your original Razz
It could be a problem to me, because gender of my brain / mind is definitely male. If somebody feels bad in own body (i.e. genders of the brain and body are different) then, in my opinion, gender of the brain is more important and gender of the body should be changed (maybe by the plastic surgery). Wink
Post 13 Nov 2009, 12:21
TmX

TmX
revolution wrote:
Okay, so instead of copying, how about transferral? Let's pretend that your current body is damaged and you have access to transfer technology to put your current state of thoughts and memories into a different body. Now, is this new thing/person/whatever still "you"? Or has the old "you" now gone and a completely new person created?

Very Happy
Post 13 Nov 2009, 13:36
MSWarrior

MSWarrior
Talking about transfering brain memory I think that the current version of Nero still can't do that Wink , But in the future, who knows - check this out!
Post 13 Nov 2009, 14:04
r22

r22
Being able to take a "snapshot" of the human brain is immortality IMHO

We need human Backup/Restore capabilities.

4 Steps to immortality
- Scientifically define our consciousness
- Find a way to digitally store it
- Be able to "run" that stored consciousness on hardware
- Be able to restore the digitized brain back into a living body

I think 1, 2 and 3 are plausible.
Until then, drugs that can stop my cells/DNA from aging will suffice.
Post 13 Nov 2009, 14:27
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
MHajduk wrote:
It could be a problem to me, because gender of my brain / mind is definitely male.
But the brain is not transferred. Just the thoughts and memories.

Just for fun 2. Now consider what if the destination "body" is some sort of mechanical system (like a computer system) with no gender being defined from the container. Razz
Post 13 Nov 2009, 15:34
ass0

ass0
Incompatible architecture.
Post 13 Nov 2009, 16:42
ass0

ass0
In order to get an 'universal compatible software', it just be 'standard' in other words only containing knowledge that can be useful in mechanic or biological mode.
Post 13 Nov 2009, 16:45
Borsuc

Borsuc
So that thing is immortal because it can become a kid over and over again? If only I could do that while retaining my memories man...

@revolution: if you make a copy of "you", which one will you experience in consciousness? Wink

Post 13 Nov 2009, 17:31
kohlrak

kohlrak
Firstly, the only thing that you could be saved from then is age, which is unimportant, because everything else will still kill you. It's not like you can system restore away AIDS or cancer.

Secondly, do we really want to keep some people alive?

Thirdly, is it a good idea to keep alive things when inevitably others must be sacrificed due to food shortage and things like that.

So really, supposing this somehow works, it'll actually be exclusive to politicians ("we're too important to die") and criminals in jail ("let's be humane").
Post 13 Nov 2009, 19:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Oh that's pretty easy to solve.

No kids for immortal people.

Easy and no effort required.

Post 13 Nov 2009, 23:45

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: