flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > AMI BIOS Reverse Engineering Article

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Pinczakko

Pinczakko
Long time not being here.. I got something for you guys Wink

My AMI BIOS Reverse Engineering article:
http://sites.google.com/site/pinczakko/pinczakko-s-guide-to-ami-bios-reverse-engineering-1

Hopefully, it's of some use or interest.

Ciao Very Happy

Post 06 Nov 2009, 16:58
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
I think I have it converted to .chm somewhere, if it's still the older article. Good job, nice. Smile
Post 06 Nov 2009, 19:13
Pinczakko

Pinczakko
Well, no Wink

The old article was for Award BIOS reverse engineering. This is AMI BIOS reverse engineering.

Post 06 Nov 2009, 19:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Ah yes sorry I'm not very good at BIOSes myself Razz

EDIT: I have an AMI BIOS right now lol.
Post 06 Nov 2009, 19:26
Pinczakko

Pinczakko
Anyway, some changes have happened since the article was written. Recent AMI BIOS (since about 2007) use segment 4000h for the "POST entry point" instead of segment 2771h explained in the article. I haven't take that into account in the article because the BIOS I dissected dated back to 2005.

Post 06 Nov 2009, 19:35
Dex4u

Dex4u
Great articles Pinczakko, alot of usefull stuff that i hope to try soon, thanks.
Post 06 Nov 2009, 23:33
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Hi Pinczakko, great to see you here!

I have some beginner questions:
1. How to reliably extract BIOS image under windows? Is it enough just to read range at the top of physical memory (what range exactly?), or do you have to extract it from BIOS update package somehow? Can you advice some tools that you use to extract BIOS, and to extract its packed modules?
2. How to find out what BIOS brand you have? AFAIK there are some brand strings, but distributors like to change to their name (at least I remember reading about such case with Insyde BIOS).
Post 07 Nov 2009, 16:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Pinczakko

Pinczakko
1. Assuming that you know the exact motherboard you're using, you can download the BIOS image from the motherboard vendor website. Otherwise, you can use the BIOS vendor tools, if it's AMI BIOS, I think there is a utility called AFUWIN in case it's Award-Phoenix, there is a utility called Phoenix Winflash. These utilities usually comes with the motherboard installation CD or can be downloaded from the motherboard vendor website. To extract the packed modules, I made a decompressor plugin in IDA Pro or you can also use the corresponding BIOS tools. For Award BIOS there's a tool called CBROM, while for AMIBIOS, there is a tool called MMTOOL. Actually, I coded an application to write BIOS images directly to the flash rom but the chipsets supported by the utility is very limited, the source code is at: http://google-summer-of-code-2007-coresystems.googlecode.com/files/DarmawanMappatutu_Salihun.tar.gz

2. AMI BIOS has "AMIBIOSC" string somewhere in the bootblock, while Award BIOS also has some sort of string identifier, i.e. "BBSS" in its bootblock. I forgot what BBSS stands for, it's something along the line "Boot Block XXX...".

Post 07 Nov 2009, 18:55
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Thanks a lot...

Another question: does BIOS image contain SMM code? If yes, where to find it (which module)?

edit: Nevermind, I checked, and my BIOS of interest is UEFI implementation by Intel (Tiano), very different. Almost fully 32/64-bit code, uses PE files for modules, etc...

Last edited by vid on 08 Nov 2009, 02:39; edited 1 time in total
Post 07 Nov 2009, 19:01
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Also, can you please post link to your IDA decompressor plugin?
Post 07 Nov 2009, 19:23
Pinczakko

Pinczakko
You can build the decompressor code using the available LHA source code in the web (Just google, you'd find one of them). Another route is to use MMTOOL to decompress the parts. MMTOOL is at http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi in the BIOS specific section. The plugin is not available on the web.

Post 24 Nov 2009, 14:48
f0dder

f0dder
AFAIK the plugin SDK doesn't contain any watermarks, so even providing a binary should reveal neither your real name - nor label you as a pirate if you're using one of the leaked versions Smile
Post 24 Nov 2009, 14:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Pinczakko

Pinczakko
Hello f0dder,

Actually the problem is because I couldn't locate it in my hard drive yet (again) Razz . I've just realized that I messed up with my old files when I migrated to a new machine. Too bad I didn't use subversion to centralize everything back then. I'll post the source code in google code when I got it.

Post 24 Nov 2009, 15:03
Alphonso

Alphonso
vid wrote:
Thanks a lot...

Another question: does BIOS image contain SMM code? If yes, where to find it (which module)?

edit: Nevermind, I checked, and my BIOS of interest is UEFI implementation by Intel (Tiano), very different. Almost fully 32/64-bit code, uses PE files for modules, etc...
Well if your after SMM code then I guess EFI might be your friend. Having looked at an Acer 1MB EFI Bios some time ago there seemed to more than 10% of the files that might pertain to SMM.

Ich7MSmmDispatcher
    PeiSmmRelocate
    SmmAccess
    SmmBase
    SmmControl
    SmmCoreDispatcher
    SmmFwBlockService
    SmmOemServicesDriver
    SmmPlatform
    SmmPnp
    SmmRelocate
    SmmRuntime
    SmmThunk
    SmmUsbLegacy
    SmmVariable
Post 26 Nov 2009, 11:00
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Yeah, in the meantime I did some study and found out that SMM in EFI is implemented by series of DXE drivers.
Post 26 Nov 2009, 13:49

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: