flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Long live the Internet!

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Post 20 Oct 2009, 08:46
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
"Surfing the Internet just might be a way to preserve your mental skills as you age" ... but only if you would otherwise do nothing instead.

I think a good dose of programming will exercise the brain well. I prefer to write programs rather than "surf the Internet" (whatever that actually means).
Post 20 Oct 2009, 09:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
Oh damn! i can't find my board. Hey tomasz, can i use the fasm boards to ride the waves of cyberspace? Laughing
Post 20 Oct 2009, 22:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
Quote:
"We found a number of years ago that people who engaged in cognitive activities had better functioning and perspective than those who did not," said Dr. Richard Lipton, a professor of neurology and epidemiology at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City and director of the Einstein Aging Study. "Our study is often referenced as the crossword-puzzle study -- that doing puzzles, writing for pleasure, playing chess and engaging in a broader array of cognitive activities seem to protect against age-related decline in cognitive function and also dementia."

Thank you ManOfSteel, for this link.

I don't wish to be argumentative, ok, yeah, I do.

The study was completely nonsensical. UCLA neurology/psychiatry: they employed MRI, not, according to the article, fMRI, i.e. functional MRI, just plain vanilla MRI, and therefore, I doubt that they found anything of significance.

The study we need here, is first: to describe how one measures dementia.

Then, how do we analyze an individual's or group's baseline state, given that elderly folks, unlike younguns, can be metabolically out of sorts, with a huge impact on mental status, whereas the same relatively minor problem (viral based influenza, say, or esophagitis, or asthma) would have almost negligible impact on the intellectual functioning of a younger person.

Third, we need an assay procedure that reflects the mental substrate of cognition, instead of one which reflects the technology available, regardless of its unsuitability for exploring mentation. Those guys at UCLA just popped a bunch of folks into an MRI machine, without bothering to figure out, how the results relate to which aspect of cognition.

A PET scan would have been more appropriate, else, fMRI, but with either test, one needs to first establish the trigger mechanism. Which aspect of cognition is so precisely defined that one can use some aspect of it to measure decline in function?

Smile
Post 20 Oct 2009, 23:59
Borsuc

Borsuc
Did you check the link at the end? I'm not sure (don't have time) if it's of any relevance but it does explain stuff about the brain...

EDIT: did you try a simple google for alternate stories?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7667610.stm
Post 21 Oct 2009, 15:53

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: