flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > WinXP: Convert HTML to text

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
pete

pete
Hello!

Does anyone know a useful command line tool in Windows XP that converts HTML formatted text to to a simple text file so i don't need a web browser but can view the site in a text-editor?
Is there a builtin-function in Windows or the Office Products?

Actually i want to write a batch-file that downloads a website, converts it to TXT on a regular basis.
Post 14 Oct 2009, 06:56
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
You want wget. There's a windows port for it over at GnuWin32.

Post 14 Oct 2009, 10:22
pete

pete
Thanks for the reply Raedwulf. Well, i got an account to a linux machine where i can use a text browser and redirect the output to a file and send to myself via mail.
Post 14 Oct 2009, 13:37
r22

r22
You could probably write the tool you want pretty quickly in FASM.

Windows has an api for downloading a file from the web and culling out html tags can be done (fairly reliably) by looping through the data a byte at a time and checking for "<" (push stackvar++) and ">" (pop stackvar--) and only displaying characters when the stackvar is 0.
Post 14 Oct 2009, 14:57
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

You want wget. There's a windows port for it over at GnuWin32.

Does it actually do that or it will just save the file as it comes from the server?

r22, I think you'll still get readability problems that way, you need to actually parse the tags a little to add the spaces and \n where necessary.
Post 14 Oct 2009, 16:27
Remy Vincent

Remy Vincent
LocoDelAssembly wrote:

... Does it actually do that or it will just save the file as it comes from the server ...

- Downloading with API fails immediatly if data is written to DiskFile.

Also there is no very fast RAMDRIVE to have it working writing to a RAMDRIVE Diskfile ...

- Downloading with API works ok immediatly if data is written to a big RAM BUFFER. But sorry i've got in pascal language, and as far as I remember, i'm still trying to improve memory allocation by myself to avoid the use of a TStrings pascal object!
Post 14 Oct 2009, 16:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

Thanks for the reply Raedwulf. Well, i got an account to a linux machine where i can use a text browser and redirect the output to a file and send to myself via mail.

is it possible to use such way to browse internet? unless u browse a html page that is maybe 100 pages long. otherwise how many email you gonna received per each surfing?? sorry, i don't understand the logic behind your idea.
Post 14 Oct 2009, 16:41
pete

pete
@r22: yeah, first i thought about writing the tool in FASM, but like LocoDelAssembly said, this could get complicated, because i want an easy readable text, also when HTML-tables are used on the website.

@LocoDelAssembly: no, wget does not what i really want to do: converting HTML to plain text. It seems wget can be used to mirror a website or a single page of website.

@sleepsleep: my goal was to get the contents of a website once a week per mail. The url to this site is pretty long and ugly, i don't use bookmarks and i don't want to see the ugly color formating of the site anymore. I simply need the text! Getting the updates per mail is very comforting for me since i use a very slim mail program, a way faster than using a web browser.

My solution was to configure a cron-job on a linux-system which runs a bash-script once a week. The bash script simply opens the website using a textbrowser and redirects the output to the mail program which discards a mail. I receive a very well formatted, plain-text mail message.
Post 15 Oct 2009, 11:35
edfed

edfed
to make a text using html:

parse all tags (<br><div><table> etc...) as a null tag (do nothing)
the only text you'll see is what is displayed in the browser, but without any formating, pure ascii only.

i've made it last year for the [not dead]contest/challenge[/not dead].
Post 15 Oct 2009, 20:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Nothing beats sed or tr.

edfed wrote:
parse all tags (<br><div><table> etc...) as a null tag (do nothing)

All, *but* <br>, which should be replaced by a line feed, or pages will be pretty ugly.
Post 15 Oct 2009, 20:46
edfed

edfed
yes, sorry, some tags are parsed as text event, like BR. of course.
Post 15 Oct 2009, 21:15
pete

pete
edfed, using w3m is still better than parsing the HTML, because it can generate very nice plain-text tables out of HTML ones.

ManOfSteel, thanks for the hints about sed and tr. I man'ed both (is that correct *nix style?) and will try to remind them when i need them again. Most of my text-manipulating work can be done in vim, though.
Post 16 Oct 2009, 06:24
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I use Total Commander built-in viewer for that.
Post 16 Oct 2009, 11:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Lynx does a good job on formatting web pages, even tables are well formed.
Post 16 Oct 2009, 13:23

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: