flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Is this Canadian coin worth anything?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
YONG

YONG
It's a 1973 quarter. I did some digging and found that it may be worth $100. Is it true? Rolling Eyes Wink

Description:
Filesize: 35.9 KB
Viewed: 3690 Time(s)

YONG_Coin.JPG

Post 11 Oct 2009, 10:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MHajduk

MHajduk
Accordingly to the information from this site 1973 quarter coin worth nowadays $100 should have 132 beads and as I have just counted this one seems to have only 120...? Confused
Post 11 Oct 2009, 13:46
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Are you a treasure hunter? Wink

Post 11 Oct 2009, 14:54
kohlrak

kohlrak
You'd think they'd find a more reliable anti-piracy protection feature than the number of dots.. not only easy to mold, but to check if it's counterfit would be a pain...
Post 12 Oct 2009, 01:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
YONG

YONG
MHajduk wrote:
... and as I have just counted this one seems to have only 120 ...
Hehe ... you actually did the counting?! Wink

Borsuc wrote:
Are you a treasure hunter?
Of course not! I just want to discard / give away useless physical belongings. Wink

kohlrak wrote:
.. to check if it's counterfit would be a pain ...
MHajduk seems to enjoy this painful process! Wink
Post 12 Oct 2009, 04:39
kohlrak

kohlrak
Quote:

Well, there's some nifty things you could do with a computer to help with that, but if you're a jewler, you don't exactly have that grace, especially back in '72...
Post 12 Oct 2009, 06:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
MHajduk

MHajduk
YONG wrote:
MHajduk wrote:
... and as I have just counted this one seems to have only 120 ...
Hehe ... you actually did the counting?! Wink
Yes, I did... several times... and I can do it once more to check the count of the beads again. Wink
Post 12 Oct 2009, 08:43
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
kohlrak wrote:
Quote:

Well, there's some nifty things you could do with a computer to help with that, but if you're a jewler, you don't exactly have that grace, especially back in '72...
Hardly. Indeed I think using a computer would take longer unless you just happen to have some special software already setup to do it. "Back in '72..." one could easily use a set of sharp point calipers to measure off 10 beads and then walk them around the coin to count off 10 at a time. So easy even a child could do it.

In fact if I were to have that coin in front of me today I would never consider using a computer to count something so simple, that would be just silly. Setting up a camera, take a shot in good lighting, some sort of software (don't know what?) to recognise beads. Ugh, sounds like an awful solution.
Post 12 Oct 2009, 09:39
MHajduk

MHajduk
OK, I'll explain the way I did it. Wink

I divided YONG's quarter coin into ~quarters~ with two thin red lines. This can help in counting, because it's easier to concentrate on the smaller number of beads (to decrease probability of mistakes):

I numbered these ~quarters~ clockwise (starting from the 12 o'clock Wink ):

Using slightly zoomed picture I got

Code:
I     quarter       29 beads
II    quarter       29 beads
III   quarter       29 beads
IV    quarter       33 beads

Very Happy
Post 12 Oct 2009, 09:54
YONG

YONG
Hehe ... MHajduk, you worked for UOP, didn't you? Rolling Eyes Wink
Post 12 Oct 2009, 10:03
MHajduk

MHajduk
YONG wrote:
Hehe ... MHajduk, you worked for UOP, didn't you? Rolling Eyes Wink
Haha, good... Laughing nope, I'm just freethinker (I have a master's degree in mathematics / IT, exactly in Game Theory). Wink
Post 12 Oct 2009, 10:13
tom tobias

tom tobias
Unlike MHajduk, I am not a freethinker, in fact, those who play basketball with me, claim that I cannot think at all, however, that is not correct, I do think, but, problem is, while playing basketball, I am thinking about chess, and when engaged in almost any other activity, I am reliving the mistakes of my game yesterday...

To me, as a nonfree, i.e. captive thinker, with Masters' diplomae in no subject at all, that monetary unit, notwithstanding the quantity of little dots on the periphery, is NOT a 1973 issued coin, but rather, one from a century earlier, 1873.

I didn't even use cute red lines to make the analysis. I simply observed. Embarassed
Post 12 Oct 2009, 11:49
revolution

revolution
tom tobias: I don't think they were printing 1973 on coins in 1873! There are two dates printed on the coins. Presumably a centenary event of some sort?
Post 12 Oct 2009, 11:55
tom tobias

tom tobias
You may have noticed the icon at the end of my tongue in cheek response!
Post 12 Oct 2009, 11:56
revolution

revolution
tom tobias wrote:
You may have noticed the icon at the end of my tongue in cheek response!
Perhaps not a good choice of smiley then. This Wink would have been more clear. Or this Razz. Or even this Twisted Evil. But not this Embarassed
Post 12 Oct 2009, 12:00
tom tobias

tom tobias
My selection was based upon putting my foot in my mouth, a behaviour which I normally reserve for my most cherished activity, playing basketball.

I sought to illustrate how incredibly obtuse a person can be, by observing only half of the information, and drawing incorrect conclusions based thereupon.

Use of one of the other icons, would have implied absence of blunder. I sought to demonstrate my missed, uncontested, layup graphically.
Post 12 Oct 2009, 12:04
revolution

revolution
Actually it looked to me like the smiley only applied to the last paragraph. If you had put it after blank line by itself then it would be more likely to look like it applied to the whole post.
Post 12 Oct 2009, 12:12
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
tom tobias: I don't think they were printing 1973 on coins in 1873! There are two dates printed on the coins. Presumably a centenary event of some sort?
Exactly. Refer to this.

Wink
Post 13 Oct 2009, 05:09
Alphonso

Alphonso
MHajduk wrote:

Code:
I     quarter       29 beads
II    quarter       29 beads
III   quarter       29 beads
IV    quarter       33 beads

Notice how quadrant IV has 4 more beads than the other quadrants. Does this mean if someone used a set of sharp point calipers to measure off 10 beads in the IV quadrant and then walk them around the coin to count off 10 at a time they would end up counting 4 extra beads in each of the quadrants I to III resulting in 12 extra beads or 132 beads total thereby believing the fake coin to be genuine? Razz Laughing
Post 13 Oct 2009, 16:05
revolution

revolution
Maybe on a mangled coin the calipers might not be an "optimal" solution.
Post 13 Oct 2009, 16:13

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: